Orthopaedic Surgeon, Surgical Specialist
Video profile

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
Ms. show details Ms.
by Cynthia Kozlowski on Apr 27th, 2013

I would personally like to Thank, Dr. Howell for the wonderful care is provided to my mother. As a Registered Nurse, we know who to send our loved ones to, and I can highly recommend Dr. Howell to anyone thinking about having a knee replacement. Dr. Howell was professional, caring, and attentive. My father and I were kept a breast of all the information pertaining to my mother's care. Dr. Howell even sent her a get well plant to let her know he was thinking of her after her surgery. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! Your care was exceptional and we are grateful that you were our mom's physician. God Bless You!

by Elaine Bellamy Redding, CA on Mar 25th, 2013

Had a total knee replacement in Jan of 2012 by Dr. Howell. When the time comes for the other knee to be done I will again go to him again.Have had no trouble with since and the pain is gone. What a relief. He knows what he had to do and so does his help and everything went smooth.

Knee Replacement show details Knee Replacement
by Carleen G on Mar 4th, 2013

Dr. Howell and his staff are exceptional in all aspects of patient care. Everything was arranged and went smoothly. He is a Great Doctor, spends time with my family and myself. I would highly recommend Dr. Howell to anyone that has a knee problem.

Fabulous surgeon show details Fabulous surgeon
Feb 17th, 2013

Dr Howell is a fabulous surgeon. Treats his patients wonderfully, has a wonderful upbeat, energetic, and personable manner. Cares about his patients outcomes.

meh show details meh
by Maury Asshull on Feb 13th, 2013

He's a crazy type A nutjob. AVOID!

Almost pain free show details Almost pain free
Jul 13th, 2012

Both my wife and I had a knee replaced by Dr Howell. The only pain we experienced was the normal discomfort of stretching with the physical therapist. The aftermath of the surgery was amazing pain free and easy. A friend was riding his motorcycle 3 days after Dr Howell replace his knee. It's been 4 years now and the knee works perfectly

Mar 28th, 2012

I am a 73 year old male 6' tall 300lbs. Dr. Howell did a total knee replacement two weeks ago. Yesterday I had the staples removed. I can bend my knee to 100 degrees and I have full leg extention to 0 degrees. On a scale of 1-10 my pain level has never been above 5. I can walk without a walker or a cane. Can anyone reality expect more. I would highly recommend Dr. Howell.

Disappointing Visit show details Disappointing Visit
Mar 21st, 2012

Very friendly and from what I could tell, knowlegable. However, once a problem had been identified he seemed very reluctant to treat me, in fact did very little to diagnose my problem. I don't believe it has anything to do with his skills, but rather his not wanting to deal with certain insurances. He actually came with strong recommendations, but word of the insurance issues amongst doctors is also noted.

Aug 20th, 2011

Dr Howell is probably the worse excuse for an knee replacement Dr. ever created. My husband had knee replacement surgery in 2010 and from the time he was in his room, we knew something was wrong. His only help was to tell us that some patients have more pain, swelling, and redness and sickness. After being home for 1 week, he was rushed to ER because of the swelling, pain and redness. No thanks to Dr. Howell (whose only help was to continue to prescribe pain pills for over 2 months), my husband managed to get on his feet. The surgery was a total failure and after seeing 7 other surgeons, he had to have knee revision surgery last month----this time it was like a totally different surgery---success at last! We feel that knee replacement surgery is difficult enough w/o having a surgery mess up the job and having to go through a "re-do" Stay away Dr. Howell--he is indeed "full of himself"

Jul 14th, 2011

This is the worst kind of doctor. This guy is so full of himself he won't even hear you when you have an obvious problem! I had a total knee replacement with Dr. Howell and I'm in far worst shape than before surgery. I can't walk down stairs, can bend my knee and I'm in severe pain. I finally gave up and went to see my regular doctor which found a blood clot right off. Now I'm headed for a bone scan to check for infection. Next, I head to San Francisco to see if I can get this mess redone! This guy is a jerk from the word go. Go somewhere else....save yourself!

Fastest Recovery Time show details Fastest Recovery Time
Jun 6th, 2011

I have had four arthroscopic knee surgeries on one knee over the years. Dr. Howell did a complete knee replacement of that knee. I was fully functioning and back at work within three weeks and off any pain medications within ten days. My experience couldn't have been better. I have had two hips replaced as well (not by Dr. Howell). Overall, my experience with Dr. Howell was exceptional.

Dr. Howell is my HERO! show details Dr. Howell is my HERO!
Sep 26th, 2010

For 54 years, I have had terrible knee problems. Pain was 24/7, unable to climb stairs, just walking was painfull. I've seen many othopedic's over the years and have had many knee surgeries. Not until I saw Dr.Howell, have I ever had HOPE! Now, after two total knee replacements and reconstruction on my knee that has NO knee-cap. Dr. Howell has restored the USE of both of my knee's. I am SO very grateful to him. Dr.Howell is my HERO!Thank you, thank you~~Dr.Howell~~

IF you need your knee replaced - DO NOT SEE THIS DOCTOR show details IF you need your knee replaced - DO NOT SEE THIS DOCTOR
by SJ Cangiamilla on Jun 29th, 2010

The Otis knee - I have spend 30 years as a Director of Materials; this means I evaluate ALL medical products that both go inside you and outside of you. Although the Otis knee IS considerably less traumatic and the recovery time is quicker - Dr. Howell, (the co-inventor) of this knee is the poorest ortho docs I've had the misfortune of using. I have been a professional athlete my whole life, I've had 15 ortho surgerys (I won't boor you with details) but Dr. Howell is truly not someone you want replacing your knee. He is insensitive, cannot listen long enough to hear one's complaints, he is absolutely filled up with himself. I don't know HOW an Otis knee can be installed misaligned as it uses MRI technology as a tool, but he managed to do it. I've had a revision already, 8 months after his original implant. Please, do not let this seemly "nioe" guy lead you down the path of hopefullness. You will be sorely disappointed.

If you value your knee, see someone that cares. show details If you value your knee, see someone that cares.
by Samuel Cangiamilla on May 11th, 2010

I'll keep this short a sweet. This guy stole a year of my life with is arrogance and refusal to listen. I had to have his job completely revised 10 months later when it did not heal and I was stilll on a walker. When I went to him, he laughed at me, basically told me I as "imagining" things. You don't know me, but it does not take that must more effort to talk to someone else that CARES.