Dr. Stephen Newman MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.4

November 14th, 2016
STAY AWAY FROM DR. NEWMAN
Without taking any responsibility after a misdiagnosis of my mother, Dr. Newman set off an UNIMAGINABLE 30-year chain of events that caused her the following issues: Epilepsy Grand mal seizures Erratic sodium levels Fainting spells Gastrointestinal issues Pelvic floor pain A broken ankle A painful foot injury Nerve damage Chronic pain Because Dr. Newman didn't take the time to follow procedure and re-check my mom's incorrectly-diagnosed seizure disorder, she was put on medication that CAUSED seizures instead of stopped them, which ultimately lead to the rest of the ailments and surgeries. My usually active and vital mother is relegated to barely being able to walk while dealing with chronic pain in her feet as she searches for a cure to the nerve damage. Dr. Newman is a SOULLESS GHOUL who not only minimized my mom with her concerns over the course of 30 years, but who has the GAUL to refuse further treatment of her. He won't return her calls nor address her concerns, and has taken ZERO responsibility in causing a loyal patient with a laundry list of symptoms that could have been avoided if he leveled his own arrogance or learned to practice with bedside manner. Ultimately, he's protected by time and loopholes that keep him away from the threat of a malpractice lawsuit. But hopefully, just one potential client reads this and stays far, far away from this guy. He's arrogant and cowardly and should not be allowed to practice medicine.

September 8th, 2016
Know Dr. Newman for 30 years and trust him implicitly
I have known Dr. Newman over 30 years, and have often referred clients to him, knowing they would be seeing one of Ling Island's top neurologists, get the best care, and most important a patient explanation of what was going on with their health. I have taken family members there, and consulted Dr. Newman before I underwent back surgery. He was always kind, patient, informative and thorough. His office is well run. There are no long waits. He also has some very fine partners in his practice and you can be assured of the same expertise and compassion with them. On the occasions where I have requested a written report, I have received a well written document covering all the bases of the exam, prior history and answering whatever questions were posed. Dr. Newman is one of the best around and has been so ranked by a number of evaluating organizations.

October 17th, 2015
terrific doctor
I love Dr. Newman. I had trouble with previous neurologists but kept looking for one I could work with. He is my 4th neuro and I fully intend on sticking with him. He takes his time to explain things, answers all my questions, never talks down to me or rushes me out. I really like him and I highly recommend him. A+

October 2nd, 2015
Uncaring, rude and unprofessional staff
Too bad the front desk is such a turn off. Dr. Newman is a very good doctor but his staff is hurting his practice. I do hope that when they move into their new building they will have new faces behind the desk who treat patients with kindness and understanding.

September 10th, 2015
Dr. Newman always has my best interest at hand. I see him every three months. His staff are always friendly and helpful.

April 22nd, 2015
As others have said. Good doctors, awful staff.
After reading the reviews here I was taken aback by the negative reviews; But, they seemed to say the issue was with the staff not the doctors. So, i still went to the office for treatment. Well, that, by and large seems to be the case. The doctors are all very responsive and seem to have great knowledge in this very painful area of medicine. The staff however, WOW. I was taken aback by the lack of professionalism and true concern they had for the patient. You better be as nice as possible to the staff. If you in any way have a complaint or concern they will not hear any of it. When they mess up, which is often, they will find a way to blame the patient. At the same time, they seem to be having a good old time, joking around, gossiping and goofing off behind the desk. There are a few nice members of the staff there but they are usually the new hires. The folks that have been there a while act like its one big high school reunion. The wait times can be pretty bad here as well. Usually expect to wait for about 30 minutes and of course you'll be filling out a ton of paperwork when you visit. One thing I did find troubling was the amount of time needed to schedule appointments with patients who by and large are in serious pain. It seems a little excessive. Hopefully they'll get bought out by North Shore LIJ and get whipped into shape. If you can tolerate the awful responsiveness of the staff you'll find the doctors are very good. As far as Dr. Newman. Seems like a good doctor, not the BEST listener. But, will get you the treatment you need. Its a shame the office staff is causing such poor ratings on the doctors. I feel like once I get a confirmed diagnosis for my issues I will go elsewhere.

March 7th, 2015
Stay Away!!!!!!!!!
Dr Stephen Newman is a rude, obnoxious man and SHOULD not be dealing with patients, actually not anyone in general. I ran out of medicine on a Friday and called the office at 3:50. The machine said the office closes at 4:00, which it wasn't yet. I had to call the emergency number, because I needed the medication. He called me back, and then went on to scold me for not having enough medication for the weekend. I apologized, which wasn't good enough for him, so he kept speaking to me like a child, although I would not speak to my child the way he was speaking to me. To make matters worse, he is not even my doctor, he was the one on call. I spoke to him a little after 4:00, so it wasn't in the middle of the night or even close. My doctor at the office is Dr Barry Menna who is a great doctor, who I would highly recommend, but stay away from Dr Newman. No class!!!!

December 16th, 2014
AWFUL office staff...
Dr. Newman's office staff is the WORST. They are the RUDEST people I have ever come across in a dr's office. If you leave a message, they do not call you back. If you need something urgently...they do not care. It's a shame because Dr. Newman is very caring and knowledgeable. I cringe every time I need something from them because I know it will be a fight. I will definitely be looking for another Neurologist.

April 1st, 2014
DOn't go here if you want to get real help
Don't think office staff know what they are doing perhaps it's short staffed? Nevertheless, when changes are made in meds & treatment, patient should be notified by the doctor or the office? no such thing...in fact when questioned about the such "courtesy"; got hung up on.

January 30th, 2012
Expertise in MS
I believe Dr. Newman is a very intelligent and compassionate neurologist. He cares about how i'm doing and never hesitates to give me a call back within 2 hours if i have a question. As a new MS patient @ 34 years of age I feel his facility as well as his knowledge in the area of MS far exceeds my expectations.I would highly recommend anyone (from my experience)who has been diagnosed with MS to visit Dr. Newman. Dr. Newman is very proactive with MS and is involved with the research of new treatments for MS. For that reason alone, i believe he has a better ability to give his patients specifically me, the best treatment that is available.

October 12th, 2010
VERY KNOWLEDGABLE TALKS GOOD GAME; POOR FOLLOW THROUGH
I have MS over 25 years; now secondary progressive in order to choose new neurologist I went to many, many MS lectures & listen to neurologists speak I was very impressed w/ Dr Newman; he knew his stuff & SEEM very concerned w/ a patients quality of life; I have MOST of my neurological records & brought them to 1st visit Dr Newman barely glanced @ them & gave them back to me; doesn't want to waste office space with "paper" he said; I keep records of MS events & concerns btwnn visits; found he did same thing as he did w/ my records; barely glances @ them & dismisses them hence overlooking many things. I feel he does not take my "pain" & "discomfort" seriously; even when txs obviously aren't working he doesn't offer viable solutions; I still hear him speak @ conferences & get really angry when he speaks of the IMPORTANCE of a PATIENTS QUALITY OF LIFE because I HAVE NO QUALITY OF LIFE & DO NOT see him applying anything that he speaks of Last time I called him after experiencing what I considered a serious symptom I found he left office for day; staff said he would return in morning. I wanted to leave a message but staff REFUSED saying I had to call him back in the morning. Just to leave a message? YES They are ALWAYS difficult they make the SIMPLIST THINGS COMPLICATED just because they have the power to do so; more than once I almost lost my homecare because of their lack of cooperation. I have been seriously ill for DAYS because of the MS & will not call him because I DO NOT want to be disrespected by his staff & as ill as I am I CANNOT be sure he will take me seriously. Yes, I WILL look for another doctor when & if I am ever able to. Dr. Newman is VERY KNOWLEDGABLE ABOUT MS & @ LECTURES talks a GOOD GAME however my experience in seeing him DOENT MATCH the "picture" he presents @ the numerous lectures I have attended that he spoke at It is a shame; he is a good doctor who could be a GREAT DOCTOR if he put in action the things he speaks of