Dr. Stephen Kay MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.8

September 14th, 2015
I had a major shoulder injury- labrum tear, gleaned fracture- Dr. Kay was great- the surgery was successful and he was caring about all phases of my post-operative rehab.

April 10th, 2015
While his staff reception staff leaves much to be desired I found Dr. Kay exemplary. He repaired my shoulder a few years ago and it is much better than it has ever been. He has a great bedside manner and actually listens to the patient. The reception staff I found incompetent and cold. I've called and been left waiting on hold for fifteen minutes. I've called to inquire about medical coverage only to be given some vague answer. The receptionist are cold and verge on being rude. While normally a bad experience with the front staff would be enough for me to find another physician but in this case I was so thoroughly impressed with Dr. Kay that I would definitely recommend him.

December 20th, 2013
I went to Dr. Kay for a torn shoulder labrum and a partially (mostly torn) bicep tendon. It ws all set until day of surgery to fix labrum and reattach tendon. !0 minutes before surgery he told me he was going to try to fix one or the other. Now, I've fasted and am all prepared so all I could say was OK. He told me my should would be more stable with one fixed. After surgery he told me labrum was too torn and shredded to repair so he debreeded it, whatever that means. Nurses wrapped me all up, put me in a sling, had to put on huge t-shirt I brought over sling. A few hours later at home I was shocked it didn't hut. He called and told me he couldn't attach bicep tendon as there wasn't any room so he dtached the whole thing!!!!! We talked about my options before and I made it very clear and noisy shoulder and bicep was fine and DO NOT detach it. He agreed that was not an option. So basically nothing was done, he even put on a show for nurses. On the phone he told me I didn't need sling and i could take it off. What the heck happened? Asked another ortho and they thought he probably never looked at MRI and cut bicep tendon before he checked if there was room to reattach. Every pt I go to keeps telling me to try this ortho or that ortho that nothing is holding my shoulder together. This guy thinks he is god, what a fool, not checking MRI first????? Detaching a tendon against my orders?

November 13th, 2013
Rude!
Dr. Kay is abrupt to the point of rudeness. I have a small rotator cuff tear & arthritis, both of which cause me pain. He said "it will go away by itself" - of course, it never did resolve. No compassion here!

March 28th, 2012
Full rotator cuff tear
I had a full five point rotator cuff tear in my right shoulder. Dr. Kay is a genius! He fixed me and I went to physical therapy and now I am 100% I have referred everyone I know with a shoulder injury to him and he has helped everyone of them!!!!

July 25th, 2011
Best Shoulder Specialist
I'm a former employee of Dr. Kay and I have to admit he is the best Shoulder Specialist out there. He is very kind, honest and dedicated to his patients. He's bedside manners are excellent and he always explains all procedures in detail. There's no doubt in my mind that if ever had an injury, he would be the one to treat me. He's also an great boss...miss him soooo much!

June 17th, 2011
Second Opinion for Torn Rotor Cuff in Shoulder
Dr. Kay did an exam on me to determine how bad my left shoulder with the torn rotor cuff was compared to my good right shoulder. He also reviewed my MRI to make sure of my problem. Besides surgery, he offered me another option to try which included physical therapy. We will re-do the MRI in 3 months to see if any further damage has occurred. Possibly surgery will not have to be done. Very honest option since Dr. Kay is a surgeon.

January 2nd, 2011
Very professional in all aspects.

October 26th, 2009
I am not from this state, but Dr. Kay came very highly recommended. After prayers I have chosen to take this Doctor to due my surgery. I wanted the best.