Dr. Stephen Popkin MD Patient Reviews

• Psychiatry Denver, CO

3.9

April 5th, 2016
He should stick to Male clientele. Female clients aren't his expertise

July 29th, 2013
Recommend
Dr. Popkin has helped get back to my normal self, which is really difficult being bipolar. I have seen numerous doctors been prescribed every medicine out there but finally I found Dr. Popkin! In just about 6 months he got my medicines stabilized. I am more alert and have even lost weight! I feel like my old self again : )

June 19th, 2013
Was originally good, but has gone downhill.
With the exception of Kelly who reminds you of your appointments, he has extremely rude staff. In addition, he has become chronically late to appointments. He's aware of the problems with his staff and his scheduling but has not resolved either. He's also not up-to-date on side effects of medication and I've had to do my own research to prove that what I'm feeling is valid..only to have him tell me about the side effects in the next session! If you have a good idea what you need, he's always willing to write a scrip. If you need an actual in-depth analysis, he's not going to be helpful.

November 8th, 2012
So this is what
I went to Dr Popkin to "tweak" my meds. I haven't felt this WONDERFUL in YEARS. So this is what "normal" feels like!

June 2nd, 2012
Overall the best Psychiatrist I have ever used. Early morning appointments available. Wait time is minimal if any. Does not waste your time with needless appointments. Does not let you do all the talking-Sessions can be as interactive as you want then to be. I look forward to my visits.

February 24th, 2010
Thorough, Knowledgeable and Compassionate
Dr. Popkin is an extremely caring and knowledgeable psychiatrist. He is attentive, listening to what you have to say while still asking questions, and he is very sensitive to the complexities of treating psychiatric disorders. For example, he resepects patients' preferences and concerns when prescribing medications. He responds to phone messages in a timely and friendly manner - you never feel as though he is rushing you or brushing you off. I have an extremely difficukt to treat mood disorder, and Dr. Popkin has worked tirelessly with me, trying innumerable drug therapies, recommending second opinions, and alternative therapies. He takes the time to address what's going on in your life, instead of just handing you a prescription and sending you out the door. Also, though his staff are not on the premises, they go above and beyond in addressing your needs. Finally, the doctors on call that I've spoken with who work with Dr. Popkin seem (in my limited contact with them) to be absolutely on par with all of his standards of care. I went to four mental health professionals before settling on Dr. Popkin, and it was one of the best choices I have made for medical care.

November 7th, 2009

August 2nd, 2009
I am very pleased with my care from Dr. Popkin
When I first called to schedule a psychiatric assessment, I was set for an appt within 10 days, which for psych is pretty good. Dr. Popkin was prompt and on time for our appt; I waited a couple minutes when I got there - nothing major. He does not have an on site office staff, but when I have called the office staff they have been helpful and courteous. I was pretty sure of my diagnosis going in, and Dr. Popkin listened to me attentively and asked a good amount of additional questions, did a psych and meds history, and administered some specific screenings. When I began medications, and experienced some pretty significant side effects, Dr. Popkin responded to me consistently and in a timely manner with compassion and encouragement. He has suggested reading material to me and has given me information resources so I can better educate myself on managing my condition. He has made time for me to drop by on extremely short notice, to quickly address a medication issue or a symptom, which I very much appreciated. He certainly did not charge me. I paid $280 for my initial evaluation - this is not an unusual or unreasonable rate for psychiatry. Of course no one is perfect - my one complaint about Dr. Popkin is that I feel it took him too long to complete my FMLA paperwork for my employer (I am still working full time, though - my condition is well-managed). I find Dr. Popkin personable and easy to talk to. I appreciate that he is supportive of my choices regarding meds - I've said yes to some and no to others. I would recommend Dr. Popkin as a psychiatrist. NOTE: I went in as a self-pay, but he does take some insurances. Dr. Popkin was recommended to me by an excellent Psychologist who I know through work. I myself also work professionally in the mental health field and I am pretty well-educated in mental health issues and treatment.

August 1st, 2009
Should't be in Medicine
More concernerned with money matters than the patient. Very sad. I have heard this from others as well, thinking I was the moron.

July 24th, 2009
money Grubbing Doctore
This mans rates are outrageous! All he wants is your money and is clueless on how to treat you.