Dr. Stephen Switlyk MD Patient Reviews

3.1
  • 16 reviews

August 29th, 2016
Wife
Dr. Switlyk saved my husband's life. I am extremely grateful and blessed that we were directed to him when no one else in the LWR/Sarasota area knew what to do with the rare diagnosis my husband received. Dr. Switlyk goes above and beyond to assist and cure his patients. There is NO other dermatologist I would consider unless it was upon Dr. Switlyk's recommendation. Praise GOD for those who are called to their professions.

July 22nd, 2016
could not have made a better choice

November 6th, 2015
He's cured me of skin problems that another dermatologist wasn't able to accomplish

March 11th, 2015
Patient
I went to see Dr. Switlyk with a mole problem. 2 out of 3 moles that he removed and assured me were cancerous were not. I also wondered why I had such large wounds for one of the small moles and then I saw the bill with the extra charges for extra large mole surgeries. His prices were sky high. I will never go to him again. 2 out of 3 WRONG.

March 7th, 2015
Not for me
I spent two months with this doctor and my eczema went from calm to a full flare up. He put me on 6 drugs, started light treatment, and recommended a barrier cream that cost $ 150.00 that insurance would not cover. He was abrupt at appointments without the time to fully explain why he was prescribing so much medicine. His staff bossed him around and was often abrupt with me. He couldn't seem to recall what drugs I was on, no records in front of him when we consulted. His staff appears very casual and often gave me the wrong information about insurance coverage. I went to a new dermatologist and he took me off all the drugs, and expensive barrier cream, set me up with allergy tests and connected me to a study on Tampa that is addressing the issues of eczema. Now my skin is calm again, and the new doctor said I should never had been on light treatment because of mv very high IGE count. There are better doctors to go to than Swiftly.

December 10th, 2014
Pros and Cons
Saw this doctor for the first time today. I got an appt quickly and did waited just long enough to fill out my new patient paperwork. Staff was a little disorganized but very nice and helpful in accommodating the time frame I needed for my next appt. The doctor clearly explained what could be done for me and discussed my medical issues and how they would impact my treatment. He does speak a little fast which gives the impression he's rushing even though he spent a good amount of time with me. What I didn't like was I came in for a cyst and while there the doctor just started checking out the rest of my skin without asking me and then proceeded to give me prescriptions for creams to use in preparation of other procedures he decided I needed. We didn't even discuss this or the cost involved, he just assumed I would go along with it and told me we would begin after we finished and I recovered from the cyst removal. I will complete my treatment for the cyst but I'm doubtful about the rest. I don't like feeling pushed into things.

November 8th, 2012
An Excellent Doctor
This doctor and staff care about their patients! I highly recommend him.

November 30th, 2011
Uniquely Qualified!
I have been going to Dr. Switlyk for my psoriasis for almost 2 years. I would agree that when you first meet him, he has a unique manner; but the fact is, he has a big personality and wickedly sharp sense of humor. Some may mistake that for uncaring or unprofessional..It's in fact, just the opposite! This guy is very smart and very qualified. Board certified TWICE! His demeanor and the familiar behavior of the staff puts me at ease and makes me feel more like part of the process rather than a number. Dr. Switlyk has my complete trust and has been the only Dr. to clear my severe case of Psoriasis. I appreciate his staff and him very much. Talk of his greed is so far off base it's offensive. Don't expect the run of the mill Dr. office experience, but do expect to feel comfortable and treated effectively and thoroughly! Who says treatment has to be boring and cold?

August 26th, 2011
seeking a second opinion
I am un-impressed with this doctor. Staff was chaotic and felt that they had no clue how to run a medical office. Doctor was rushed and talked to me at a million miles a minute which made it confusing to understand and at the end of the appointment he told me to loose weight, which had no bearing on the diagnosis made.I will never speak highly of this doctor.

January 12th, 2011
One of the best docs I've had
Has helped with a number of problems, really knows his field. I wish all my doctors were this good.

September 16th, 2010
Unique Doctor!!! He knows a lot about Psoriasis!!! Great!!!
I came to his office referred by another dermatologist due to the seriousness of my 5 years old son skin condition. My only concern at first was that he didn't spend as much time as I wanted with us but I also understood that it was something that I couldn't complain because he has a lot of patients and he tries to do his best with each one of them. Every time that I have needed to talk to him, he has always been there for us. He doesn't have any type of bureaucracy as in other doctor's offices that their is no way that you can talk to the doctor unless you pass a battery of questions. He cares a lot about my son and he is always looking for treatments with fewer side effects and that could help him best. I even tried a pediatric dermatologist just for having a third opinion and it was just pure protocol. One of his best qualities is that he is sincere and obviously my son likes him which means that he is in the right place. Instead of considering him greedy for money I would say it is completely the opposite, he has always help us especially in our case that we need to see him at least twice a week.

August 18th, 2010
More worried about making money
Dr. Switlyk can be pleasent when he wants to be but is very uncaring. His office staff of one who I belive is his wife is very unprofessional. She is rude and not very helpful. She spends most of her time on her cellphone then attending to patients. She talks about other patients diagnosis out loud while patients are sitting in the waiting room. The doctor makes fun of other patients and calls them stupid when they have questions. He is very condescending. I was being treated once for something and he refused to look at something else because he said everything he looked at had to be a separate appointment. Which is fine if they are for different things but I had multiple things to be removed and he wanted me to come in separate for each one. He is more interested in Cosmetic procedures than taking care of his patients.