Obstetrician & Gynecologist (OB/GYN), Endocrinologist (diabetes, hormones)

Mercy Obstetrics & Gynecology Clinic
1010 4th St SW
Ste 220
Mason City, IA 50401
641-428-5100
Locations and availability (3)

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
 |  Awesome  |  show details
by Lisa on Jan 17th, 2013

I love Dr. Thorn. I feel like he cares about me and spends time with me at my appointments. I don't get upset when I have to wait for him in the waiting room because I know that he is giving the patient that he is with all of his attention and I too will get that!! Amazing man!

|  The BEST EVER!!!!!  |  show details
Mar 2nd, 2012

Dr. Thorn has been my doctor for 10 years and I was completey crushed when he let go from Albert Lea. I have never had a more caring and trust worthy doctor EVER!!! He help me and my husband through fertility problems which eneded in a beautifl heatlhy little girl. My husband and I have again been struggling over the past year with fertility only to reciently suffered a miscarriage. We have seen a couple different docots but I just don't feel as comfortable and trusting as I did with Dr. Thron and I am tired of trying to put that trust into other doctors when the only one that I want to be dealing with is Dr. Thorn so I have made the decision to travel the 2 hours to New Hampton to continue my care with him and now with having suffered a loss I will not see anybody else. It may be a long distance but I know it will be completely worth every mile. I am very excited to once again be one of his patients.

|  Absolutely THE BEST... he's unbeatable!  |  show details
Sep 15th, 2011

Dr. Thorn is a master in his field. Anyone looking for a great physician should get in line to see him - wherever he lands. If he provides care anywhere within a 60 mile radius of my home, he will have me as a patient! He has the BEST bedside manner, he's humble, and he truly cares about his patients. I was so disappointed in Mayo Clinic's decision to let him go. I always want to support our local businesses and service providers but I won't be going there again for prenatal care.

|  Does anyone know when or where?  |  show details
Sep 7th, 2011

I have read the attached reviews and see that he is supposed to be in Iowa. I live in between Mason City and New Hampton and have heard nor seen anything about him coming. Does anyone know anything? In our eyes he is heaven sent! I pray he hasn't stopped practicing!!!

Sep 1st, 2011

THank you for help me during the pregnancy I will follow your practice at Mercy Medical Center, I hope you can start soon. THank you again

Aug 30th, 2011

Dr thorne has been my doctor for 20 years. He diagnosed my cevical cancer within a week and even followed up by sending me a pathology results circled when I did not make the follow up appointment right away. He saved my life and has always been not only a knowledgeable doctor but a great comfort. He saved my life I will always be greatful

|  Coming to New Hampton, Iowa  |  show details
Aug 24th, 2011

Dr. Thorn will be employed by Mercy Medical in Mason City and will be seeing his patients at Mercy Medical- New Hampton. I don't think he has started yet.

|  Dr. Thorn is STILL Practicing!  |  show details
Jul 11th, 2011

Dr. Thorn is the best OB/GYN's I have ever dealt with, and I was very unhappy to hear that he left the clinic. There are not many that are skilled enough to handle high-risk pregnancies, and even less that really want to put the time and effort into dealing with women who need a little more attention and care than others. I am so disappointed in Albert Lea's decision that I will not be returning.Dr. Thorn has moved his practice to Mason City, so for those lucky enough to be able to follow him; GO!!!If it wasn't 80 miles just ONE way for me, you can bet I'd be there in a heart beat. Also, my insurance won't cover me outside of MN.I am so disgusted with Albert Lea's inability to work with and retain a doctor who has given his skill, heart, time, and donations to their clinic, not to mention many, many happy women who delivered their babies safely thanks to him, including many who are high risk.

|  Will be missed!  |  show details
Jun 22nd, 2011

I don't know that my hope of becoming a mom would of been possible without Dr. Thorn. I was told in Oct 03, that I would more than likely ever get pregnant and for unknown reasons. My first visit with Dr. Thorn, gave me hope again. He was so understanding and caring, I soon found that this might be possible. My first visit was Jan 6, 04 and because of this Dr and his time he spent to find treatment and listen to me, I delivered a healthly baby girl on Jan 8, 05, this Dr knew what he was doing. And then again I wanted more children, and he listened I delivered healthly twin girls in July of 06. I am not so sure that I can build a trust, with another Dr. Dr.Thorn was my doctor, and is truely going to be missed by myself and many others. Dr. Thorn if you read any of these I just want to say a BIG THANK YOU!!!!

Jun 1st, 2011

Dr. Thorn will be greatly missed. I don't know what the issue was between him and ALMC, but I am disappointed that ALMC couldn't figure out how to hold on to this gem of a doctor. He helped us through a very difficult time, and I had hoped he'd be around to help us now that we are close to delivering a healthy baby (and he promised after our miscarriage that we'd be back soon with a happy ending, he appears to be right). I have never heard anything but rave reviews about him- whatever clinic gets him will be blessed. ALMC, you've got your work cut out for you- don't let us down!

|  Jane Edwards  |  show details
May 18th, 2011

Dr Thorn has been a WONDERFUL doctor and compassionate human being, ALMC or Mayo is foolish for letting this Dr. go. I just got my letter in the mail and I have to say it really made me sad. Excellent in his field and will be a great asset to anyone lucky enough to get him. Dr. Thorn you will be missed. Best of luck in all you do. Jane Edwards

May 10th, 2011

Was blessed to have had him as my Dr. for the last 5 years. Informed today that he is no longer with ALMC. It is a sad sad day for that facility. I hope he finds somewhere else to practice as he has so many patients that love him!

|  Great Dr, Going to miss him  |  show details
May 10th, 2011

I have been going to Dr. Thorn since 2007. I was going to someone else and she never told me I had PCOS. Right after switching, Dr. Thorn explained it to me and did laproscopy surgery a month later. I have always had a great experience with him. Sorry to break it to you all, I called today to check if he was back and they said he is not coming back to the facility :( He will be missed by so many and wish him the best of luck!

May 4th, 2011

Dr. Thorn is by far the best doctor out there. He is patient, kind and very caring. He treats you like a human and not a number like many other clinics I have been to. I was thrilled when I learned about Dr. Thorn and started to see him. I am not excited that he is out on leave (for an undisclosed amount of time) as my baby is arriving in a few shorts weeks and I was hoping he would be the delivering doctor as he helped me and my husband make this possible. He is by far the best doctor and is worth the wait for an appointment. If the "rumors" are true to why he is out, the ALMC does not have to worry about ever seeing me or a member of my family. He is why I started to with them and would recommend him and his staff (Sandy, and nurse Amy Kelly) to the people I know going through the same thing I did, PCOS. I hope he is back very soon!

|  Exceptional Doctor  |  show details
Apr 25th, 2011

I have been his patient since 1988. He has always been there an excellent physician for me. His bedside manner makes you think you are the only person in the world during your visit. He is exceptionally knowledgeable, up-to-date, kind, caring, compassionate, and willing to work with each patient as an individual. I cannot possibly find words to say enough good things about him. During the years that I lived overseas, I travelled back to the USA to see him annually. I would without hesitation, recommend him to anyone and everyone.

Apr 18th, 2011

I'm not sure what is going on at the OBGYN clinic at Albert Lea Medical Center... but Dr. Thorn is THE VERY BEST doctor EVER! It is rumored that his colleagues are trying to force him out of the office due to him being against the idea of the clinic bringing in and performing abortions. If this rumor proves to be true, ALMC will never see any member of my family in their clinic ever again. I hope beyond hope that it is NOT true and that Dr. Thorn is simply on a family leave (the office staff says he is out for an undisclosed amount of time)MY PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU DR. THORN!!!! Please do NOT leave!!! WE LOVE YOU!

Apr 12th, 2011

Most amazing doctor ever!!!! I truly believe the reason my son is alive is because of him!!! Attentive, caring, compassionate and professional!!! Blessed to have had him as a doctor!

Mar 24th, 2011

Dr, Thorn is one of the best doctors I have ever met! He is not only very good at what he does but he has the best bed side, caring manners I have ever seen. No doctor has ever made me feel so safe, assured and comfortable. You are not a number to him, yet a part of his family!

|  Accuracy and Caring Rather Than Drive-Thru Service!  |  show details
Jan 26th, 2011

Dr. Thorn is an excellent, reassuring, caring doctor with a great personality and bedside manner. You may not break records getting in-and-out in a speedy manner, but you WILL be treated as a real person rather than patient #17 for the day.It can be difficult getting an appointment with Dr. Thorn unless you are already pregnant (in fact, even the nurse practitioners are booking 4 months out at this time for just regular appointments/yearly exams!!!), but if you are currently pregnant or in need of an urgent visit they are great about getting you an appointment, and the phone nurses are great about helping you with questions, decisions on whether you need an appointment, medication refills, and things of that nature without going in.The difficulty with getting an appointment is due to the large number of patients he has, many with infertility issues or high-risk pregnancies, many more because of his extraordinary quality as an OB/GYN doctor. His nurses are excellent, as well as his co-worker RN Sandy Clawson, who works with him regarding his infertility patients; she is great as well. He has a specific nurse, Amy Kelly, who works with infertility patients regarding any needed medicines and their usage; she looks for the best deal with the most reliable suppliers, and she is always available for questions and concerns, or to assist in patient education. Many times there is a wait for your appointment, especially in the afternoons; however, that's due to squeezing in emergency appointments, or delivering babies. If you're the one who needs to see a doctor right away, or needs an emergency C-section or delivery, YOU would want him to drop everything for YOUR needs, so keep that in mind while you're waiting. The office staff is great, and there are snacks, beverages, and bathrooms near-by, as well as a small area for children to play.He's very skilled, knowledgeable, and comforting while being direct. If he doesn't know something, he will check. He likes his patients being involved with their care, and he'll stay to answer your questions and make sure you're comfortable, rather than completing your appointment in record time and rushing away to the next. With a high risk pregnancy, I had many issues, concerns, and questions, and he always took the time to answer them thoroughly, or else find out and get back to me very quickly. He doesn't give orders and then walk out; he works WITH you, especially concerning issues that require significant, on-going care. I was an infertility patient with PCOS and Amenorrhea, and my husband had fertility issues as well. With Dr. Thorn's experience and patience, he performed my laparoscopy, assisted us in getting pregnant twice, coached us through two very difficult pregnancies, performed two cerclages, an emergency C-section, and a scheduled repeat C-section due to various issues. When dealing with stressful events such as the above, you need someone you can fully trust to care for you with skill, and to make the best decisions for your health when you are unable to. Dr. Thorn can be relied on to put the patient's safety and health first without jumping to the "quickest" way to solve the problem. Other doctors had told me I would never have a baby, and another doctor had advocated a partial hysterectomy because it would be an easier way to deal with my health issues. Dr. Thorn put my health issues AND my desire to have children first and foremost, and he helped us succeed. Several times I had an issue that required an immediate appointment, or a procedure on a date that fell on a weekend. I know from experience that Dr. Thorn has remained at the clinic past clinic hours to see patients, and he has come in to the clinic on weekends to perform procedures when needed.I've regularly referred him to others who have infertility issues, or are high-risk. Having to wait a bit for an appointment is nothing compared to the quality of care you get, and I would not trade him for another doctor. In fact, I drive over an hour to specifically see Dr. Thorn and his staff. I trust him with my life and the lives of my babies, and I will continue to do so.