Dr. Steven Alter MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

November 21st, 2015
Dr Alter
Dr Alter has been a pleasure to be my doctor though my triceps repair surgery. Very profession, knowledgable, and understanding

November 11th, 2015
Nothing was worse than this experience
I wish I could have recorded this experience because it was truly awful. I have had issues with a condition in my hand for 2.5 years. The first surgeon I saw has moved away and left his practice. The second was a referrral and too far and this doctor was close so I figured that with my records and a quick look, this would be a simple visit with a minor surgery recommendation. First of all, his PA was awesome. What a lovely man. He had a great bedside manner and was very thorough. It's too bad he wasn't the actual surgeon. After a review of history and some testing the doctor came in and pretty much said "I can't help you." The reason was because I have had bad reactions to cortisone shots in the past. He said multiple times "I'm not doing it." "I don't think surgery would fix you." Finally, when I asked if I was supposed to live in this pain for the rest of my life, he said "Yes, possibly." He recommended that I go back to my previous doctor. I explained that it was difficult to take the time from work needed to travel as far as I was and he said "Well, take a day out of work then." He was rude, inconsiderate and not someone I would recommend anyone who wants to be treated with dignity or as a human being should go see. I left embarrassed and ashamed and literally in tears. I am an intelligent human being who was looking for help from a man who took an oath to help people and this man clearly had no itention of doing that. I would rate him 0 stars if possible. I did call the previous doctor and saw him two days later. He said "Since you haven't done well with cortisone, looks like surgery is the answer." I told him of my experience with Dr. Alter and he was very confused. I feel that I was just not that exciting and this doctor did not care to take my case. I hope you consider this before you see this doctor. I still have residual grief from this visit and pray that the medical board reviews this man.

November 4th, 2015
Mother
Poor bedside manner,doesn't communicate or express any progress. Xrays taken but doesn't express how they looked. My impression is that he doesn't communicate because then he would get behind with his patients, by communicating with all his patients would put him behind. As it stands now there is a short waiting time to see the dr. Your shuffled in and out like cattle.

September 14th, 2015
This was the worst Orthopedic Doctor I have ever been to. Worst bedside manner. Sarcastic, demeaning, rude, condescending, and talked down to me. Will never go again. Recently moved from N. Virginia where I had spoke to highly regarded Specialists in this field, several MRI's done; he was abrupt and said they didn't know what they were talking about... Horrible

June 10th, 2015
Thumb Ulnar Collateral Ligament Repair
I was referred to Dr. Alter for a thumb injury (complete UCL tear). I was very impressed by his responsiveness as he was able to see me the same day and have the surgery done within a few days. He clearly explained the options available and risk/reward (surgery vs. non surgical treatment). The appointments I had with Dr. Alter were generally very quick, but I didn't feel rushed at all. Any questions I had were answered very concisely but thoroughly, definitely no idle chit chat. I've been to other doctors in this practice as well and it's very well run and efficient. 8 weeks after surgery I'm back to all the activities and sports that I normally do without limitations and I'm very happy with the result. I would highly recommend him based on my experience.

April 27th, 2015
Dr. Alter was fantastic when my 17 year old daughter broke her wrist. Highly recommend!

March 23rd, 2015
So very appreciative that this amazing surgeon discussed my options and performed my Carpal Tunnel surgery. Highly recommend.

March 12th, 2015
I thought Dr.Alter was very good. I had a right trigger thumb. Surgery was a breeze, I did everything he told me too and so far very happy with results.

February 27th, 2015
HI saw him for my amputated fingers. My fingers are recovering faster and better than I expected. Dr Alter treated my fingers correctly. He is a nice guy. Answered all my questions, and always asked if I had more questions. His staff is also vey nice.

February 26th, 2015
Customer satisfaction
I'm pleased by the healthcare services available as I have receive them through the office of Dr.Steven Alter M.D.

September 17th, 2014
Worst doctor
I had a tibia bone fracture in my leg and I was referred to dr alter by the Lowell general hospital emergency staff. He is the worst doctor I have ever visited in my life. He hardly looks at the X-ray and analyses it. He recommended a cast for 8 weeks where a surgery was needed. I wasted a month going to this doctor and it struck me to change my doctor. The new doctor recommended me surgery in my first appointment. Dr alter never studied my case before the appointment and in top of that, he and his staff is very very rude. They do not care for patient's pain, concerns and the time spent. Dr alter never provided any answers on tentative timelines for recovery process. It is complete waste of time and money to go to dr alter. He does not understand that patients undergo a mental trauma when they have fractures and the trauma increases with incorrect treatment. I would never recommend this doctor to anyone.

August 20th, 2013
Dr. Alter surgically corrected my son's two broken wrists after a fall from his bicycle. We were very pleased with his skill and that is why I went straight to him after breaking my foot. He repaired the Jones fracture and my foot has healed beautifully! I would recommend him to anyone looking for a skilled and gifted orthopedic surgeon.