inactive

Steven D Avezzano MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

2.5
  • 1 comment

Showing 1 - 1 review

September 12th, 2013
Went to ER in the middle of the night with the worst pain in my entire life. Thought it might be my appendix or my gallbladder. I thought it was likely a gallbladder attack based on my symptoms, the location of the discomfort, and my medical and family history. All appropriate tests were ordered, but once the tests came back okay, I was told it was muscle related. I wondered how the doc arrived at that diagnosis. He had hardly spent 4 minutes with me. He stated that it was due to where I told him the pain was located (upper right shoulder and my rib) and that I told him it hurt when I moved a certain way, which I can most assure you I did not. I had been in severe pain for over 3 hours and had vomited 4 times. When he sensed by disapproval at his diagnosis, he asked me what I thought it was, and I told him that it was likely by gallbladder. He ordered a pain reliever in a shot which did take away the pain. He then prescribed me some pain medicine and muscle relaxers and then told me to check with my primary if I wanted an ultrasound to determine if I had gallbladder issues. I left the hospital and never filled the prescriptions. A few days later, an ultrasound confirmed that I, indeed, had gallstones. One likely was caught in the duct and then worked itself out. I have since had gallbladder removal surgery. It is my understanding that certain X rays do not reflect gallstones. I empathize with doctors and can certainly understand the many challenges they face in diagnosing and treating patients; however, this was an easy case to call and a complete misdiagnosis. Doctors need to listen to their patients. They often know their own bodies.