Dr. Steven Avezzano Is this you?

4 Ratings • 1 Comment

3.0

Have you seen Dr. Steven Avezzano?

Posted on September 12th, 2013

Went to ER in the middle of the night with the worst pain in my entire life. Thought it might be my appendix or my gallbladder. I thought it was likely a gallbladder attack based on my symptoms, the location of the discomfort, and my medical and family history. All appropriate tests were ordered, but once the tests came back okay, I was told it was muscle related. I wondered how the doc arrived at that diagnosis. He had hardly spent 4 minutes with me. He stated that it was due to where I told him the pain was located (upper right shoulder and my rib) and that I told him it hurt when I moved a certain way, which I can most assure you I did not. I had been in severe pain for over 3 hours and had vomited 4 times. When he sensed by disapproval at his diagnosis, he asked me what I thought it was, and I told him that it was likely by gallbladder. He ordered a pain reliever in a shot which did take away the pain. He then prescribed me some pain medicine and muscle relaxers and then told me to check with my primary if I wanted an ultrasound to determine if I had gallbladder issues. I left the hospital and never filled the prescriptions. A few days later, an ultrasound confirmed that I, indeed, had gallstones. One likely was caught in the duct and then worked itself out. I have since had gallbladder removal surgery. It is my understanding that certain X rays do not reflect gallstones. I empathize with doctors and can certainly understand the many challenges they face in diagnosing and treating patients; however, this was an easy case to call and a complete misdiagnosis. Doctors need to listen to their patients. They often know their own bodies.

Posted on March 1st, 2015