Surgical Specialist, Orthopaedic Surgeon

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
Feb 3rd, 2015

Went to see Dr. Papa with the same group (Jewett Orthopaedic Clinic) last week and he scared the heck out of me with his diagnosis!!! Wanted to get a second opinion so went to see Dr. Choung. I was lucky to get an appointment for the next day due to a cancellation. The front desk staff took me right away but had to wait about 20 minutes in the exam room. Dr. Choung was a breath of fresh air! He had a great bedside manner. He answered all of my questions, examined me and my x-rays that Dr. Papa took. Dr. Choung gave me options that I didn't get from Dr. Papa. So happy that I saw him for my 2nd opinion. He never acted like I was taking too much of his time nor asking too many questions. I will use him for my foot surgery when I decide to have it and will recommend him to anyone.

by Steve on Dec 15th, 2014

First time I met Dr Choung. He took the time to discuss a rather complicated diagnosis. He didn't give me the options I wanted to hear but he explained why I wouldn't be a good candidate for procedures I had hoped would be available to me. The good news was that I was thinking too far into the future anyway and that the most immediate problem was a much less intrusive operation that may take care of the issues I am having. If my ankles worsen, we will revisit what may or may not be available then. He was nice but matter of fact, which I appreciate. I won't see any doctor I can not talk to. He took the time to answer all my questions. I had a list that was direct as well, so we went right through it so I could be sure I knew where I stood. I've seen a lot of specialists over the years. FIrst impression: He did great. I asked a friend that has worked with him as a rep in the operating room. He came very highly recommended.

Best Experience, Despite a Painful Injury show details Best Experience, Despite a Painful Injury
by Erin M. on Mar 31st, 2014

Dr. Choung is amazing! I came to him initially several years ago for a pretty severe injury to my foot. Another doctor I'd seen had said that my foot was just sprained but I knew there was no way that was possible. I came to Dr. Choung and it turned out that I was going to need a couple surgeries to fix my supposedly "sprained foot".Anyway, I went through these surgeries, had months of physical therapy and Dr. Choung and his staff were there and supportive throughout the whole process. He always took as long as needed to answer any and all questions I had, no matter how ridiculous they might have seeded to him. He was very easy to talk to and I felt like I was talking to a friend when I was sitting with him.He was straight-forward with me and told me what I needed to know without trying to sugar-coat anything but also sounded very calm and confident about what needed to be done so it didn't worry me too much.Even a few years after my surgeries and countless appointments with him, when my mom went in to see him for an appointment, he remembered our name and was asking about me and how I was doing. Also, when I took my mom to an appointment, he recognized me immediately and wanted to check my foot to see how it was doing when he was done with my mom's appointment.I remember him telling me before my surgeries, "You're probably going to hate me for a while, but I promise by the end of all of this, you'll feel much better and hopefully you won't hate me anymore." He was right, and I couldn't be more thankful to him and his staff for their hard work and compassion!

Exceptional experience with both Winter Park & Orlando offices show details Exceptional experience with both Winter Park & Orlando offices
Mar 16th, 2014

My son had an injury and was seen by a PA and by Dr. Choung. The office staff was prompt, courteous & helpful. Both the PA and Dr. Choung took the time to answer our questions both before & after surgery in a professional, kind, knowledgable and unhurried manner.

Disappointed and disgusted show details Disappointed and disgusted
Oct 8th, 2013

I am a healthcare professional myself and could not believe the lack of empathy and poor bedside manner! Hospitals and Doctors all around the country are being graded regarding patient education so I was shocked when I received none at all. He could not even give me answers to my simple questions! I can handle a terrible bedside manner if I receive quality medical care but when I leave a doctors office and received no compassion and could not even receive answers to my questions I could have flushed my copay down the toilet and receive the same quality of care. Don't mention that you have pain because you will be treated like a drug seeking loser. I have had 2 surgeries in my life as well as my wisdom teeth removed and I never took the pain medications I only used ibuprofen and tylenol. My ankle injury has been the most painful thing I have ever experienced, it has also been the longest recovery I have ever had! I push through the pain and go to work using only Ibuprofen. I suffer horribly. I asked about other options for the pain, something for after work hours when I am in the most pain and was basically to suck it up!

Jan 19th, 2013

Did not like show details Did not like
Aug 17th, 2012

Not helpful to me, thought his bed-side manner was bad, and was very un-impressed with his knowledge and understanding of my condition and what to do about it. Don't recommend.

Jun 29th, 2012

Im currently is a patient of Dr. Choung. May 18,2012 was the worst day of my life beside my Aunt passing, but I had a nasty slipped and fall in my job parking lot which resulted in a spiral fracture of my tibila and fibila. I was in some execrating pain, and my employer ended up taking me to a work clinic, where the staff was horrible!!! The Dr. had me waiting in pain forever just to tell me that I really messed myself up slam my leg in a plaster container gave me a shot in my rear end that did not work, and a prescription for some pain meds and to see an orthopedics that following Monday, glad I didnt have to go back to that dungeon. I was in agony for the whole weekend, until that Monday on May 23, 2012 I met the most comforting, sympathic, genuine doctor Dr. Steven C. Choung and his assistance Candance. I was an emotional wreck and he assured me and my mother that everything was going to be fined and how he wanted to get my fracture as closed to perfect as he could possibly can, which resulted in surgery. I cry so hard about having to go through surgery but he explained every detail to me why it was sufficient for me to have the surgery. Dr Choung comfort me by giving me genuine advice to look on the bright sign of things!!! Candance was so patient with me and really wanted to do everything in her might to make me comfortable, just like she did when she removed my 34 staples two weeks after my surgery. Also the X-ray technician Elssa was such a joy she tried to cheer me and up and relax me to do the x-rays the back staff is just great!!! I would refer Dr. Choung to anyone that may be in the Downtown Orlando area that may be going through what I am going through now. The Choung is one of the few doctors that still love what he does, and Im grateful that I was put in the right care of hands!! Professional doctors and staff make the road to recovery a lot smoother Thank you Dr Steven C. Choung!!Ps. You are really something because I never ever write reviews!!

Aug 21st, 2011

Dr. Choung is an exceptional professional. He is no nonsense with a strict diagnosis and options for full recovery. I wish I had found him on my first foot injury.

Jul 20th, 2011

I have found Dr. Choung to be an outstanding doctor and a genuine caring person. He is smart and very informative. He took the time to answer all my questions and demonstrate the answers when possible to make sure I understood. I have recommended him to others and can only sing his praises for!