Dr. Steven Gross MD Patient Reviews

• General Surgery Greensboro, NC

March 11th, 2017
Ignore your first impression
He was my husband's emergency surgeon. In the ER he was rude and arrogant-- especially to me-- even though I could tell he was trying to do the BEST for my husband-- which was all that counted. We were dealing with a strangulated hernia/incarcerated bowel-- and it was serious. After the surgery was over, he came out to explain exactly what he found and did-- and at that moment I knew my husband had a great surgeon working on him. Made it easier for me to forgive his attitude in the ER. This (emergency) surgery took place late at night and didn't finish until around 2:00a.m-- so it was pretty amazing that he could still be so nice at that time. The follow-up appointment-- my husband said went very well- and my husband would want Dr. Gross, again, if he ever needed surgery. Don't let a first impression bother you-- in this situation, you want a really good surgeon-- not a BFF. But I will say-- the follow -up appointment kept us waiting more than TWO hours after our appointment time! So my other stars are based on office staff.

October 28th, 2015
Bedside Manner Leaves A Lot To Be Desired
Appeared to know what he was talking about and I guess that's the most important thing but this guy has ZERO bedside manner. With the many options for doctors in Greensboro, why select someone who comes off as if they are doing you a favor

May 31st, 2015
Jerk
I'm the only loved one of the patient in the hospital room and not once did the jerk acknowledge my presence and was very condescending. I don't expect manners rivaling Mr. Rogers but an attempt would be nice.

January 29th, 2015
Just to add
My previous post about our experience with this Doctor did not match the rating I gave for some reason. Just making a correction.

November 17th, 2014
Choosing the right surgeon. Don't let your emotions get in the way of a possible life saving decision
This man stood over my brother in surgery for well over 8 hours. This was not a walk in the park. I could tell by the tone of the nurses voice when I got the call from the OR telling me why it was taking so long. He told him his first office visit that he would be an advocate for him and would do everything possible to prevent the outcome many others were predicting. He did exactly what he said and then some. He went the extra mile for his patient. Yes, we had a good outcome, but even if it hadn't gone our way? I was comfortable in knowing he came highly recommended and did all that he could. I wasn't interested in a pen pal. I wanted a skilled surgeon that was confident he could handle this case as well as anyone and if not, then humble enough to say so. Grumpy at times? yes. Arrogant on occasion? yes. Deep down a good man who cares about his patients and will go the extra mile when the time comes? absolutely. A skilled surgeon? no doubt in my mind.

June 19th, 2014
Disaster
A simple surgery turned into a life changing experience. Two days recovery time has turned into three years plus as well as several more surgeries to correct original. Now in hospital with no end in sight. Suggest you look hard before selecting a surgeon.

August 25th, 2013
Awful experience!
Dr. Gross was very unprofessional! It was the worst experience I've ever had with a doctor!!

July 16th, 2013
Pancreatitis with Complications - and I'm still here
I was visiting Oregon from Kentucky when I ended-up in the ER with acute pain. That was in 2004. Dr. Hansen and his fellow, Dr. Gross, saved my life. I was in the hospital for 10 weeks (about 3 of those weeks in ICU) and had a total of 3 different surgeries. They popped into my room at all hours to check on me. They knew that I had no family in the area and were great about keeping my sister on the east coast posted on my condition.

August 8th, 2012
Great guy...
Dr. Gross was really cool. I had to stay at Wesley Long and he would visit with me first thing in the morning to see how I was doing. Overall I really liked him.