Dr. Steven Chen MD Patient Reviews

• Ophthalmology Glendale, AZ

May 13th, 2016
A few days after the surgery I discovered that I had been charged more than I had been quoted. When I called to inquire about this I was given the run around about whose responsibility it was to handle the problem. After several days of being told someone would return my call I called again and was directed to Destiny. She was rude, condescending an unprofessional. I kept reminding her that I was the patient (customer) and just wanted to resolve the issue. I said perhaps I would speak to Dr. Chen when I came in for my follow-up. She said he was not concerned with any of this, his only concern was the surgery. She then said that there was no reason to issue a refund. I did speak to Dr. Chen when I went in for my follow-up and he did secure a refund for me, but he too became condescending. He informed me that I should have been able to handle this myself and that Destiny is most professional and courteous and is not rude and in a very passive aggressive way called me a liar...not once but several times. This was my second surgery with Dr. Chen, the first being when he first started his own practice but I would not recommend that you go to him unless you are willing to be spoken too in a condescending and rude manner by both Dr. Chen and Destiny.

May 12th, 2016
After having a facelift about 14 years ago from another well respected plastic surgeon here in the valley I was left with a drooping lower eyelid. Dr Chen does not know it but he literally saved my life. It is still not 100%, but it is improved by 70 to 80%. With the right makeup it it hardly noticeable.

May 3rd, 2016
"A REAL HAPPY PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE!"
After seeing my ophthalmologist, I needed what I felt was eyelid surgery. I was referred to Dr. Steven Chen for evaluation. I reviewed the comments by past and present patients. Some people talked about the staff, others about the bedside manner of Dr. Chen, a comment about cancellation at the last moment because hew as backed up in surgery and being charged a fee. My only thought was, 'would they have wanted the Doctor to rush and finish with them if he knew there was another surgery scheduled. Not a chance. I want a Doctor who does not push the envelope and blocks out the outside world so he can have a successful surgery on the finish. [By the way, if you ordered a truckload of cement and as it arrived at your location you canceled the delivery. Should you not be responsible for the cement?] Go figure. I called the office and made my appointment. The front office was quite clear to bring in information regarding insurance, photo I.D., medications I take and surgeries I have had and dates. I was also told that I had to fill out a medical questionnaire of past and present issues. It was short and sweet and to the point. I arrived about 30 minutes ahead of schedule to fill out the necessary forms. The staff and Destiny were really polite and professional. I conversed with the patients in the waiting area. What their feelings were about the Doctor and staff. All were quite happy that they had chosen Dr. Chen. I was escorted back to one of the exam rooms. Michelle, was very pleasant and professional, she explained to me about the tests she was performing and I was relaxed. Michelle told me the Doctor would be in shortly. It was a short wait. Dr. Chen, welcomed me, introduced himself and the interns which were with him. He asked about my concerns, he evaluated and explained the test results, what could and should be done, what is covered by insurance and what was not. He explained the surgery procedures, the before and after, what meds to take and not take. His bedside manner was professional, kind, compassionate and quite thorough. This took about 15-20 minutes. I received a copy of the evaluation for my records. I am so glad I made that appointment. I find that if you go in with a polite and positive attitude it all ends well.

September 28th, 2015
Services
I am 72 and was having some loss of peripheral vision due to sagging eye lids. Dr. Chen and his staff were very professional and very patient friendly. They gave me the time I needed and were very clear regarding the procedure, expectations and questions I had. I most assuredly would recommend Dr. Chen and his staff.

August 18th, 2015
Fired Dr. Chen and Glad We DId
To begin with the positive, Dr. Chen has nice offices. My husband's and my experience with Dr. Chen was an unmitigated disaster. Although Dr. Chen struck both of us as a competent surgeon, his bedside manner is, at best, non-existent. My husband came for a consultation on his blepharitis, which required a blepharoplasty. Because my husband is quiet, I conducted what I assume to be normal questioning of Dr. Chen, including chances of something going wrong, the number of surgeries he's performed and other questions that are relevant to giving my husband the best possible outcome of his surgery. Dr. Chen was dismissive and condescending in responding to my questions and went out of his way to embarrass me over a misunderstanding on my part about my husband's recuperation. It was as though he felt that, by virtue of our simply showing up in his office, he had a guaranteed patient and therefore had no need of common courtesies. Nor did he seem aware that surgery, from the standpoint of the patient, is an anxiety-producing event and requires that the doctor have some compassion - a quality not in evidence with Dr. Chen. We signed the appropriate papers for surgery and subsequently found out that my husband was scheduled for surgery late in the day - despite our having told the office staff that we required early in the day surgery due to my husband's work schedule. Because of that scheduling (on top of Dr. Chen's rudeness,) we decided to cancel the surgery ON THE SAME DAY THAT WE FINALLY WERE GIVEN THE ARRIVAL TIME - only to find out that we will be assessed a $250 charge because we did not give two weeks' notice DESPITE the fact that we had only seen Dr. Chen LESS THAN two weeks before the scheduled surgery - and the surgery had only been prospectively scheduled for that day with the understanding that my husband could have at least a good chance at a morning surgery, instead of ultimately having been scheduled for one of the last surgeries of the day. To close, it takes more than technical competence to make a good physician and/or surgeon, and on that basis, Dr. Chen will never rise to the standard of being even a good doctor. Dr. Chen needs to know and remember that all doctors are ONLY SERVICE providers - albeit highly educated and highly paid service providers - and that patients ALWAYS have the option of going elsewhere.

August 10th, 2015
reconstructive repair
I was seen by Dr Chen to repair a previous bleph from five years ago. I have suffered with a feeling of "super glue" in the outer corners of both eyes as well as scarring, ecclussion cysts and a pinched appearance around my outer eyes from the previous surgery. I underwent surgery with a local anesthetic in the Glendale office. For the first time in five years my eyes feel normal again!! Dr Chen and his staff were very pleasant and eased my anxiety during the procedure. Thank you so much Dr Chen!

May 21st, 2015
Great Doctor ..... Don't Get Scared Off by the Office Staff
He did a fantastic job with my eye and was very caring and professional. Great skills. I would recommend him to anyone. But you do need to put up with some rude and difficult people in the office - if Destiny answers - ask for someone else. But he's worth the difficulties in the front office to get to him. Don't know why he puts up with this - he's a gem! I'd have given him a 5 if it were not for them.

January 27th, 2015
Office staff was great, very professional and polite. Dr. Chen did a great job on my eyelids, and all my friends want his name.

April 3rd, 2014
I've had several surgeries done on myself over my 78 years. This was by far the easiest one I've ever had done. Dr. Chen and his staff are wonderful. I would recommend them to anyone.

July 11th, 2013
My experience with Destiny ..She was rude and condescending
Destiny was horrible..She was very disrespectful and rude.If she is an example of the help one would experience from this office and the staff I would recommend you stay away...Once she realized I was not going to provide my Insurance and preferred paying the Consult Fee that's when the games began...

October 1st, 2012
I was not satisfied with the service or care given by this doctor. His staff was unprofessional and rude.

June 30th, 2011
Dr. Chen will perform procedures that may not be necessary. He doesn't rule out less expensive options first, goes right for the expensive procedures and then you will receive a huge bill in the mail. Don't even think about trying to have a decent discussion with his office staff, they are very rude and of course blame it all on the patient and how you should know what this is all going to cost you. I would have like to have given only a half of a star on most items, but it doesn't allow that.