Dr. Steven Cyr MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.6

November 7th, 2016
Dr. Steven Cyr
Dr. Steven Cyr is without question one of the BEST medical doctors I have seen in my life. I recommend Dr. Cyr highly. He was not only friendly and welcoming. He was personal. He cares about his patients and about his work. He spends the necessary time with you so that you are comfortable with what your diagnosis is. He made me feel comfortable about my back surgery. I was a nervous wreck after suffering from the back pain I had. I was relaxed and calm after speaking with him. He is attentive, positive, flexible, thorough and genuine. I had only positive experiences with Dr. Cyr and his staff. I have never met anyone, nonetheless a busy doctor such as Dr. Cyr to be so understanding, sympathetic and so extremely caring. I was truly lucky to have crossed paths with such a great man and doctor. He is extremely intelligent and is an excellent physician. Dr. Cyr5 did my back surgery and I healed so quickly because of Dr. Cyr. I am able to teach my strength training classes at the gym and do martial arts. He is amazing and I highly recommend him.

October 31st, 2016
Highly Recommend
I am just over a year out from the surgery Dr. Cyr performed on my back and the only way to describe him is he is a miracle worker!! I was in pain for several years until I found Dr. Cyr. Except for a few minor aches and pains every now & then, I am pain free for the first time in YEARS!!! Dr. Cyr has been blessed by God! He truly is a gifted surgeon!!!

October 14th, 2016
Nobody better!
I had a back fusion, S1 to T10. I was in a lot of pain. I don't think I would be as pain free if it wasn't for Dr. Cyr and his staff. Once my surgery was over he came out to my family and took his time explaining everything he had done and did not rush. I am very family oriented and he hugged each one of my family members, that meant alot.

October 4th, 2016
Wouldn't know. Never got to see him
So apparently the office policy is that you see only Physician Assistants unless or until your PA has decided, that you need surgery. Only then are you allowed to see the doctor. This poses a number of problems: a mid level provider with far less training evaluates you, examines you, decides what imaging and other diagnostic tests to perform, interprets said studies and makes diagnoses as well as develops treatment plans -all before you are allowed to see the anointed one. I don't know about anyone else but I have a problem,given the profound discrepancy in training between a spine surgeon and a mid level provider, with this model. I myself as a physician, don't mind seeing a PA initially but can't fathom the reason for this clinic to hinge all its medical decision making on mid level providers. This is a sure fire recipe for missed diagnoses, and potentially inappropriate surgeries.

June 19th, 2016
At first great, the follow up care after surgery horrible
I had major surgery. I met Dr. Cyr and he was great. He explained everything, took his time answering my questions and my spouses questions. I seen him on my first follow up. Then I was given to Dustin Janzen for my follow ups. From there it went down hill. Dustin knew nothing. I would tell him what Dr. Cyr had told us and he would tell me, "No, I'm sure you heard that incorrectly." Then Dr. Cyr came in and said exactly what I said and Dustin just sat there nodding. My spouse and I were so frustrated with Dustin. I eventually asked not to see him again. I was tired of Dustin asking for myself and my spouse to Google my questions and then he would look it up and come back and we could go over what we all had found. Why am I paying for this visit, having to ask people to take me to my follow up appointment, which requires them to take time off of work to be told to Google it. I never seen Dr. Cyr after the 2 times after my follow up. The first one is on my first follow up and the second time is because I called and complained about Dustin. What finally did it for me and my spouse said no more, with Dustin is I seen his notes that he typed up before we were even done and he lied on those about what he told me. My spouse also seen the notes and we could not believe that he was lying. I hate even having to write this bad review because I had been seeing them for so long and the staff was nice and helpful. The wait time from when your appointment is scheduled to the time you actually get seen was ridiculous but I dealt with it because I liked everyone there when I started with them. I would start seeing a certain Doctor there and they would leave and then I would see another one and they would leave. This went on the whole time I was going to them.

June 15th, 2016
So glad I found Dr. Cyr
I was at the end of my rope. Seven failed back surgeries. I goggled " The best Orthopedic Surgeon in the USA." Dr Cyr was rated in the top two. To my surprise he was located here in San Antonio Tx. In terrible pain, I called and made an appointment. Dr. Cyr said I needed a Complete Back Revision. After six months of testing to see if I qualified, I was scheduled for surgery. . Two parts, one through abdomin and the other through my back. 22 hrs of surgery and he's A team were a success! The only thing I can say is I couldn't afford all of the therapy so I have bad muscle spasms in my upper back. Dr. Cyr is the best. He prayed before surgery, as a Christian that meant so much to me. He is the best.

February 19th, 2016
iN PAIN FOR LIFE
Dr CYR HAS MADE MY WORSE HE MADE ME WORSE THENI WAS I WOULD NEVER GO BACK EVER AGAIN

August 28th, 2015
Although I paid double my normal copay I received terrible treatment. I saw a nurse practitioner twice who obviously did not read my chart for either appointment. I am trying to straighten out the lack of service. If not I will be more specific next time I log in.

November 21st, 2014
Dr. Cyr is a wonderful, compassionate, and committed surgeon with a proven track record of positive outcomes for his patients. I had a spinal fusion three years ago with a nearly 100% recovery. However, it is unfortunate that I have had a negative experience with his office staff, including the nurse. During the summer, I had an unfortunate situation happen when I fell on my spinal fusion and several months after the accident, I had (and still have) pain around my fusion area (l4-S1). As expected, after the first visit, nurse Ross recommended an MRI and CT scan as well as x-rays. After all was said and done, I didn’t hear anything for a couple of weeks so I made another appointment at the Boerne office, and she reviewed the Radiologists notes during my appointment while I sat and watched. Afterward, she then turned to me and said she didn’t understand his notes, and would need to order a re-read from the Radiologist. At that point she assured me she would follow up with me as soon as she received it, and she would even ask Dr. Cyr to review it himself, and that I would not have to pay for a third visit. Two weeks came and went and nothing. I called and left multiple messages and finally received the call. She explained that the Radiologist had a typo, which made perfect sense, and then that was it. I said, did Dr. Cyr review the MRI? Her response was yes, and that everything looked good. I was quite surprised that she had no recommendation for physical therapy, or a Neurologist or other specialist. This clinic has essentially left me behind as they move forward with their massive amounts of surgical candidates. I find this to be an unacceptable approach to practicing medicine. Moreover, I’m offended by the lack of professionalism that I have received. Nurse Ross was certainly nice but disorganized, unprepared, made unfulfilled promises, and had no recommendation for what to do next. The last thing she said was, "give us a call if you have any problems". Seriously? After some phone calls and other meetings with doctor friends, I am well on my way to working with a more caring, supportive group that can respond to the diverse needs of their patients.

February 17th, 2014
You"ll never see him after surgery.
If you need surgery, he is great. Eloy is great. Ms Ross should not even be in this field. She is totally incompetent and has no idea what she is doing. Unfortunately, after surgery it is IMPOSSIBLE to schedule an appointment with Dr. Cyr. He will do a complex procedure and give no pain medications, and kick you out of the hospital too soon so they can move more money making patients in. Yes, he is a great surgeon. His office policies and incompetent staff are tiresome. The first review stating "my recovery after my surgery is entirely my responsibility" couldn't be further from the truth. You will need good follow-up, and you will need someone that doesn't only want to see you before surgery. If you need a minimal surgery, go for it. If you need a complex surgery, beware of never seeing him again after he cuts on you. Mixed feelings here.

December 5th, 2013
Dr Steven Cyr
I've known Dr Steven Cyr one year, I'm currently under his care and making the decision to have lower spinal surgery. Twelve years ago I had spinal fusion on C5/C6 and C6/C7, so I understand success requires an outstanding surgeon and personal commitment to therapy and health after the procedure. I'm certain Steven Cyr is the outstanding surgeon to perform this procedure on my spine, but the determination and focus on therapy, health and healing after surgery is fully my responsibility. I find Dr Cyr's conservativatism regarding the recommendation to have the surgery, prescribing the accurate and correct amount of medication and the consideration he willingly gives shows true experience and dedication for his patients. Steven Cyr is a very busy man; dedicated to helping people, giving to the San Antonio community and loving his family. However, when Dr Cyr consults with me as a patient, Steve is laser focused on my well being and the procedure required to get me back in the gym at 100%.

October 2nd, 2012
Wow
This doctor is to busy so they pass you around in there group till they can really figure out what is wrong.