Dr. Steven Dutcher DO, PHD Patient Reviews

• Good
  • Bad

March 7th, 2017
Good Surgery, Poor Patient Follow up
The surgery went okay as far as I know. The problem is that there was no follow up to resuming medication that may have avoided embolism. Doctor and PA were only concerned with their surgery and didn't look at other ongoing needs of the patient..

August 16th, 2016
SIJ fusions
Once again, I do not know where I would be without Dr. Durcher. How did I get so lucky? Totally have trust in him. You should too!

July 29th, 2016
One of a kind

May 26th, 2016
Highly recommended
Dr. Dutcher, and his very qualified PA's and staff, have helped me tremendously over the last year and a half. Most accurate diagnosis as well. Love this group.

March 30th, 2016
He is a pro !
My father was lucky enough in the last few days to be treated by the top neuro surgeon, Dr Dutcher at the JF Kennedy Medical Center in Linton.. He was warm, helpfull, dedicated, result oriented, very calm and he respond to all of our questions before and after the surgery. He took the time to give us as many important information as possible. The level of his expertise was obvious & he made us feel a lot less nervous. Thank you Dr Dutcher !

March 29th, 2016
Bad choice of a "Doctor"
Poor choice of a doctor. Has the "God" complex.Would not listen to patient or his family nor other doctors on the case, to realize the mans shunt WAS INDEED INFECTED , which caused the patient to suffer a stroke .

January 3rd, 2016
Best surgeon
Dr. Dutcher is extremely concerned and considerate of patients symptoms, pain, and questions. His surgical expertise is top notch. thank you Dr. Dutcher!!

November 25th, 2015
Dr. Dutcher and his wonderful staff made the horribly difficult and scary process of finding, removing and recovering from brain tumor surgery so much less traumatic than I ever could have imagined. He is kind, compassionate and very very good at what he does. His entire staff is part of a team approach that just works great

April 7th, 2015
He was able to diagnose my problem quickly and accurately.

July 12th, 2014
Seriously Mis-diagnosis Caused 5+ Weeks of Additional Pain & Bone Damage
Dr..Dutcher did my initial surgery on her L4/L5. All seemed to go well until several weeks when I started to complain about acute pain. Dr. Dutcher dismissed it as "back spasms" and prescribed muscle relaxers without ever ordering another MRI or CT scan to see what might be going on. Several weeks passed, my pain was getting worse but hiding it from my husband until one Sat I wasr crying and screaming in pain and he found me. We went to the ER where the radiologist diagnosed me with having an infection, and I was transported by ambulance to the hospital where Dr. Dutcher performed the surgery. The next morning Dutcher's partner (Abdolvahabi) proclaimed that I had re-herniated my disc and told me that I needed surgery, and that the radiologist at Martin Memorial was wrong. Dutcher never called or stopped by to see me while I was in the hospital. When he did see me at his office, knowing that I had been initially diagnosed as having an infection and then re-diagnosed with having re-herniated my disc by his partner, he proclaimed that I actually had SI joint inflammation. He never really explained how two doctors in the same practice could have two very different opinions. And he started treatment for SI inflammation. As it turned out, both of them were wrong - the "yahoo" radiologist (which is what the radiologist was called by their office) at Martin Memorial had been right all along. When my husband began not to see any improvement and Dutcher was adamant that he was correct, he scheduled an appointment with Dr. Alan Levi in Miami. Thank God he ordered new MRIs and a CT scan (first one) because he was able to show us the actual bone deterioration and the whitish discoloration that had grown and indicated that the infection was spreading. I am now under the care of Dr. Levi and is fighting the infection. I think Dr. Dutcher is technically a good surgeon and we don't blame him for the infection - it is a risk in any surgical procedure. Where he fell down was allowing his pride to get in the way of looking at all of the options and also not listening to his patient, and not scheduling any tests when I wife complained about pain. I would not recommend him as a surgeon to anyone needing a neurosurgeon, but keep in mind this is but one person's experience.

March 20th, 2014
Ignores YOUR needs - does HIS surgery
Had a WORTHLESS Surgery after he ignored my needs. I went to him w/back and leg pain, but he concluded I had to have Neck surgery 1st before he would do the laminotomy he told me I needed - until one visit when I waited SO LONG to see him (2+ Hrs after Appt time) my pain Rx wore off. he looked at me while I'm conceding to this neck surgery and then heard "I didn't realize you were that bad - I can't do your neck if you can't sit upright". So he did a laminotomy, but also ripped a disc he said was calcified onto my Spinal cord (which he said possibly saved my life "Wow - Good thing we did your back surgery 1st" he told me). After months of no improvement and actually getting worse he said 'You might just get better one day". Pain Mangt thought I was seeking meds because Dutcher said I should be improving, so I sought the opinion of 6 other Neurosurgeons. ALL concluded in minutes it was CLEAR AS DAY I needed a fusion - which I had done. However, because of him using "his tools to fit my procedure" I have horrific scar tissue (which caused what will be life long complications) from him cutting my cord open when he detached the disc. As for the office staff he fired one while I was there for ineptitude - don't know how it is now.

February 1st, 2011
he saved my life
i am only here to tell my story because of dr. dutcher. i had a subrachoid hemmorage/ brain bleed . dr. dutcher was the only dr. on staff that really took the time to care and it stood out . he really cares about his patients and he saved my life!! what more can i say !