Dr. Steven Elg MD Patient Reviews

• Gynecologic Oncology Des Moines, IA

3.4

August 8th, 2016
RUN!!!
I was sent to Dr. Elg when I was facing a diagnosis of endometrial cancer and needed a hysterectomy at the age of 40. Dr. Elg is at the end of his career and is not interested in listening to patient concerns or in being innovative. I felt uncomfortable when he could not give me a straight answer about trying to save my ovaries and I was disgusted when there was a trash can overflowing with used speculums in the exam room. His nurse Kathy was very rude when scheduling. Go to Iowa City!

June 17th, 2016
Outstanding doctor
The only reason I’m giving Dr. Elg 5 stars is because I can’t give him more. He is the kindest, most dedicated doctor I’ve encountered in my 49 years of life. When my regular doctor identified a lemon-sized tumor on my ovary, she was too busy to get me in right away to biopsy it. So, two months later, when my insurance cycle began again (and I had to start over on my deductible) and she STILL hadn’t seen me, Dr. Elg was kind enough to read my X-rays. I lived in another state, so he went to the trouble of contacting a fellow surgeon in my area who was able to work me into his surgery schedule within a week. I had a full hysterectomy. I’ve read reviews on Dr. Elg that suggest that he is eager to move patients into surgery—personally, I would rather have surgery right away as opposed to waiting and realizing later that I SHOULD have had it and suddenly my lifespan is reduced to months. I wonder if those who are complaining have bothered to have a second opinion from another GYNECOLOGICAL ONCONOLGYIST. Seeing a general oncologist is NOT the same as seeing a specialist. Treatments are very specific to the kind of cancer a person has and seeing a non-qualified physician could very well result in a different opinion. Dr. Elg went out of his way to help me and had nothing to gain—my insurance money went to the doctor who did the surgery. He’s the kind of doctor I wish my former doctor was. I highly recommend him.

May 27th, 2016
Lacking a Diagnosis and advocate of the patient
It seems that Dr Elgs is all about doing surgery and doesn't worry about doing the appropriate tests first or during the cancer process. Simple CT and PET scans are not part of his "tool chest" but rather go into the surgery "blind" and hope he can cut out the a affective cancer tumor. No information or answers to the questions asked or why the treatment plan was chosen. No clinical trials are offered or discussed.

May 1st, 2014
Dismissive
Staff very nice - dr. Elg has surrounded himself with a good team which is a saving grace. His bedside manner and treatment of patients with life threatening illnesses is dismissive. I often left his visits feeling dejected - he did not take time to answer questions - he became very curt which came off as uncaring. I would hope someone that chooses this field would be a person with compassion.

October 26th, 2012
Dr. Elg lied.... I understand things happend but tell me the TRUTH
The Dr lied to my family ABOUT several things that happened during surgery. I went back to the hospital and had them pull all of my records.... he had stated to my family my uteris was to large to be take out laparoscopic so he had to cut a c-section style to complete they hysterectomy.... when in reality he had cut an artery and I almost bled to death... all documented in the hospital files..... that was over three years ago I am still having problems from this operation.....

November 29th, 2010
He is the best....
I work for Dr. Elg for many years and was sad to see him leave TN. He is someone who really cares about his patients. I can't tell you how many times he would walk into the office wearing the same thing he had on the day before because he was at the hospital all night with one of his patients. He treated the patients no matter if they had insurance or not. I have even seen him give money out of his pocket to help a patient pay for her medication. If I ever get cancer I will be looking him up to see him. He is by far the best GYN Oncologist!

September 22nd, 2010
Dr. Elg treated my Mother for vaginal cancer, which is tough on someone who is 80 years old. His expertise, knowledge, compassion and caring surpasses that of many doctors I've had experience with. He treats his patients with respect, regardless of age, while many doctors can be dismissive of the elderly. He and his nurse are amazing.

May 4th, 2010
Not recommended
Dr. Elg was very nice before surgery. After surgery seemed detached from my mother as a person, and more only like he saw her disease. Spent little time in the room and explained almost nothing. He had to be pushed for information, information that should have been explained in detail, i.e. stage of cancer, what was removed during the surgery, and possible treatments. We are 1 month past surgery, and further treatment has not be mentioned by Dr. Elg. Overall, I would not recommend him.

November 11th, 2009
excellent surgeon and diagnostician
After a different ob/gyn believed my enlarged uterus to require hysterectomy via abdominal incision (as cancer was probableoutcome), I met with Dr. Elg just after he began working at Iowa Methodist Medical Center (through Iowa Clinic) in Des Moines. Dr. Elg completed a *much* more thorough exam and consultation than had the first doctor, and he offered the option of a laparoscopic procedure--he was able to contain any potential cancer cells within a bag and still remove the uterus and ovaries/tubes (I opted for removal of the latter) vaginally. He also believed the mass enlarging my uterus would prove to be benign. Dr. Elg was right. The first ob/gyn would acted responsibly, and I would have gotten the correct diagnosis eventually through him; however, the first dr. also insisted that my presentation and ultrasound imagery made cancer a "virtual certainty." Instead, Dr. Elg's experience told him that a fibroid mass/leiomyoma *can* present with cystic degeneration (and a google search for "uterine mass" led me to an article on a large leiomyoma that had outgrown its blood supply and begun to degenerate cystically--and presenting on imagery similar to a sarcoma, but in fact being benign), and that is what he expected to find. Still, he took all necessary precautions in case the mass proved to be malignant. My surgery, then, was followed by an easier recovery than I imagine an abdominal incision-procedure would have been. I appreciated Dr. Elg's kind bedside manner and, most importantly, his knowledge. I believe the key difference was his being a gynecologic oncologist, whereas the first dr. was not an oncologist; also, Dr. Elg is a PhD in pharmacology--something that appealed to me when I feared I may have cancer and would most likely need chemotherapy. This experience leads me to believe that, for me, I would always want to consult with an oncologist as early as possible when any chance of cancer is likely. In Des Moines, there has been only one gynecologic oncologist practicing, and it appears the standard of care has been to get the surgery/diagnosis first, and then to go to the oncologist once cancer's diagnosed; if the opportunity is available, I would get to the specialist/oncologist asap. There's a body of knowledge and years of additional training, plus experience, that then can be drawn upon...earlier.

June 19th, 2009
excellent care
After seeing another specialist, I went to see Dr. Elg. He was very compassionate and accurately diagnosed my condition and treated me. I cannot speak too kindly about him or the care I received.

March 28th, 2009
Not Recommended
Nice as could be before surgery (hysterectomy), but as soon as the surgery was over became rude. After the surgery he spent 30 seconds in my room to tell me how everything went, and pushed me aside because he wasn't getting anymore money. It has been over a month and I am still in pain. He has not yet called to follow up with me, not even once to see how I am doing.