inactive

Steven Fochios MD Patient Reviews

• Gastroenterology New York, NY

October 22nd, 2013
No personality
I think this Dr has issues with females! I saw him talking down to several of his majority female staff! not what i wanted to see as a patient

March 27th, 2013
Exceptional Physician
I consulted with Dr. Fochios for GI issues and had a gastroscopy at his office, which went smoothly from start to finish. I am a medical professional and was very observant of all issues concerning this procedure. I can happily report that all was fine, if not exceptional, in this experience. Contact with the office staff, the follow up with both Dr. Fochios and the anesthesiologist -- all first rate. I highly recommend Dr. Fochios and either of his two MD associates at his office, whom I have also had contact with.

October 5th, 2012
I highly recommend Dr. Fochios. He has been my doctor for many years.

May 18th, 2012
The way it should be
I had an endoscopy and colonoscopy which went smoothly from the preparation to the examination and then meeting afterwards with the doctor. This is how it should be.

January 14th, 2010
Worst medical experience ever
Big negative. This has been the WORST medical experience Ive had. Here is the story. Dr. Fochios was recommended to me by a specialist Ive seen for a long time and whom I trust. In my initial appointment I found him to be very polite, personable and made my 2nd appointment for a gastroscopy and left feeling very good about him. The day of the gastroscopy I was greeted by the anesthesiologist and taken into the procedure room. The minute I entered the room my brain signaled to me that I should walk out. It looked like a lab from the early 80s, it was untidy, stuff scattered around everywhere, no monitoring equipment, the procedure table squished up between the wall and the narrow shelf by its side. I should know because Im also an MD and Ive been in many of these places. Nevertheless, I told myself I should stay since Dr. Fochios was so wonderfully pleasant and I was already here, and he had been recommended to me. I insisted not to be anesthetized before he arrived. Dr. Fochios arrived; he was wearing a glove on one hand. He picked up the gastroscope (apparatus to be put into my stomach) holding one end with his naked hand and the other end with his gloved hand. The glove was obviously not sterile. I asked him whether the gastroscope was sterile and he answered No, its clean. I asked again whether it was sterile or disinfected and again he answered its clean. Again, I had rationalized that it should be OK and without objection let the procedure carry ahead. After I woke up from the anesthesia I was asked to walk out of the room, taken to another room (recovery) and asked to lie on an exam bed. This bed was so incredibly hard as well as having an odd 45 degree angle that despite being highly drowsy from the anesthesia it was hurting my back. I started calling out for the nurse. I called Nurse repeatedly over perhaps 15 minutes. No one attended to me. I climbed out and lay down on the floor (was the bed was that uncomfortable). After a while I heard the voice of the (nurse?) in the corridor outside say to someone Shes been calling out nurse, nurse, nurse. Some minutes passed and eventually Dr. Fochios came into the room. He asked me why Im on the floor, I told him. He picked me up by the arm and said sat me in an office chair that was by a desk in the same room. (Ive just came out of anesthesia, I can barely hold my head up, Im supposed to sit in a chair?) I asked him whether he could please get me pillow or something, anything that I could at least put on the desk to put my head on. He left the room and came back and said there nothing he can give me. I tried sitting but was feeling so knocked out by the anesthesia that I eventually just went back and lied down on the floor. Eeew dirty, yes. Eventually I got up, probably still too early but I didnt want to keep lying on the dirty cold floor too long and the hard as wood 45 degree tilted exam table was no option either, and I clambered up the stairs, knocking around half dizzy, to the waiting area where my friend was waiting for me. As the anesthesia wore off, a sense of what had transpired dawned on me. Not only had I been subjected to a less than good (for lack of better wording) procedure, the aftercare was non-existent. I felt violated and very upset. I asked to see Dr. Fochios. After a wait he met me. He told me my feelings of upset happens to people whove had anesthesia. He was his usual extremely pleasant and polite self. He made small talk and asked me the exact personal question hed asked me less than a week before in our first appointment. It was so formulaic and asked in exactly the same way. Thats when I realized all of that pleasantness was just a faade and he was trying to simply make me feel good rather than doing the technically right thing... He doesnt really care; he just talks and acts like he cares. His office is in the most upscale area of Manhattan and he has artwork and a Nogucki table in his waiting room. Sadly a lay-person would not notice that his procedure room looks like a lab from the 80s, or that the gastroscope was not disinfected or sterile. And nursing staff who ignore the repeated calls of a post-anesthesia patient? As I said Im an MD, have been in and out of hospitals. This is the worst medical experience I have ever had.