Dr. Steven Gilman MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

November 30th, 2016
Had a spinal fusion 6 yrs ago . Never had any relief from the pain . Called another dr and they told me to go back to the one that did the fusion . Big mistake . He was very rude and arrogant and said if I didn't want any more surgery I was not wanted in his office .

July 20th, 2016
Great doctor in all respectd

February 25th, 2016
I has my doctor appointment on Tuesday morning that I have been waiting for since beginning of the year. I heard the doctor yelling (raising his voice) outside the door some things but I thought he was talking about another patient. He came through the door, he said this is just ludicrous, if you've been to Pittsburgh and Cleveland and all these other doctors what do they want me to do!! what do they expect of me?? why did they even send you here?? I tried to explain to him that this is all new and started around Christmas. But he wouldn't even listen to me. I tried to say all I want is some relief from this pain. And again he wouldn't even listen to me he just kept yelling at me. He never even looked at me after He shook my hand. All he did was look at the computer and said nothings broke there's nothing I can do, nothing is fractured there's nothing I can do. Meanwhile I sat in the corner crying trying to get my coat and stuff together so I can walk out. He just turned and walked out without even an explanation. Here when he was yelling outside the door he was talking about me. I've never been treated so disrespectfully in my entire life by a doctor.

February 3rd, 2016
I have no problems with him. He did two neck surgeries on my neck.

November 1st, 2015
Fusion done well
The pain that I suffered with is no more because of the surgery done by Dr. Gilman. I feel that I was in good hands and had good care. He spent time answering my questions in a way that was easy for me to understand. I am recovering quite well and enjoying my life once again.

April 24th, 2013
Don't let him near your brain!!
 It seems that either patients loved Steven Gilman or hated him. I can understand that completely.  All of the reviews that I have seen pertain to the spine. My mom's experience with him differed in the fact that he operated on her brain....twice. After a wasted month, we changed treatment to the Cleveland Clinic. A mass was found earlier this year in her lung, as well as her left temporal lobe . Her first emergency brain surgery ended up being removal of a cyst. No mass was found. She was recovering well, until she stopped taking steroids. Before her staples were even removed, my dad had to call Gilman's office because of her worsening symptoms. She was sent directly to the hospital for her second brain surgery. It was at this time that we were informed that Gilman saw a mass on her post-operative MRI, that he thought may require further treatment.  In his defense, he did divulge this information...to my mom...the day after brain surgery. No one else received this information. She again endured the same surgery, this time he recovered a small mass, as well as cystic fluid. He told us that he thought it looked like normal brain tissue. She again recovered well, returned to Gilman's office to have the staples removed and saw Gilman, only after my dad requested to see him. He said she looked great. Only a few days later, she was rushed to the ER by ambulance with her worst symptoms yet. Gilman ordered steroids, which relieved some of the symptoms, but still gave us no answer. All biopsies and tests were inconclusive at this point. He was quick to admit that he was bewildered by her case. another MRI and steroids another MRI were his only answers at that point. I asked him if he thought it would be a good idea to go elsewhere. He assured me that they would not find anything more than he has. Then he left for the weekend. The MRI showed that the mass and cyst had regrown. I received this information from my mom's PCP, while the surgeon covering Gilman's patients told my dad that it only showed swelling. I had a copy of the report and, not being in the medical profession, I knew that was not what the report said. That was the deciding factor to transfer her to the Cleveland Clinic, where we are at this moment while she is getting a PET scan. Daniel Loesch, who was covering for Gilman argued the transfer. My mother has since been diagnosed, breezed through another brain surgery, where Dr. Vogelbaum removed a large tumor,and just successfully completed whole brain radiation. Gilman was always quick to admit that he wasn't a radiologist, oncologist, pathologist, etc. when we had a question. Maybe he should add brain surgeon to that list.

February 12th, 2013
Dr. Giman is the most wonderful Neurosergeon there is.... He's great !!
he is very pleasant and did my spinal fusion perfectly. I am having hin do my carpal tunnel surgery because he is the best surgeon around and I trust in him and his surgical ability. He's the best !!

November 13th, 2012
Did not have an office appt. Was at the hospital 9 days, then they got Dr. Gilman to come and evaluate. He did another test and scheduled an O.R. He operated immediately after test, and I haven't had any problem with my back since then. 6-9-09. Thank God for Dr. Gilman, I can walk and do everything I used to do with no pain whatsoever. Thank You Dr. Gilman!!

October 23rd, 2012
VERY UNHAPPY
Based on my VERY UNPLEASANT EXPERIENCE....My few appointments PRIOR to my surgery were just fine... I really liked and TRUSTED Dr. Gilman; he gave me high hope that the spinal surgery would help my pain and I could resume life as usual. AFTER SURGERY..I never laid eyes on him for 8 weeks!!! He didn't even see me in the hospital!!! The only reason I did see him was because I specifically requested him! I honestly believe he double &/or TRIPLE book patients for appointments; I'd show up on time, wait for 15 mins in waiting room, then another 15 to 20 mins in exam room, see Gilman for 3- 5 min

January 13th, 2012
Wonderful caring Dr. Had spinal fusion and was a complete sucess. Love this Dr !

September 28th, 2011
WONDERFUL!
Dr. Gilman is very kind and compassionate, he offered different treatment options to try before surgery. When I did opt for surgery, it went without a hitch with a shorter than expected recovery time. I feel better then I have in years.

May 3rd, 2011
A WOLF IN SHEEPS CLOTHING
AFTER MEETING WITH SEVERAL OTHER DOCTORS, DR STEVEN GILMAN M.D. SEEMED LIKE THE OBVIOUS CHOICE. WHILE IN THE HOSPITAL, AFTER MY SURGERY, HE DIDNT COME AND SEE ME UNTIL THE FOLLOWING DAY. HE DID NOT GO OVER HOW MY SURGERY WENT WITH ME, (COMPLICATIONS, THINGS TO EXPECT ETC) WHILE IN POST OP I COMPLAINED ABOUT THE IV MEDICATION NOT HELPING THE PAIN, ANNOYED HE BASICALLY PUNISHED ME BY PUTTING ME ON A LOW DOSE OF NARCOTICS. I CONTINUED TO EXPLAIN TO ALL OF THE HOSPITAL STAFF THAT NONE OF THE MEDICATIONS FOR PAIN WERE HELPING, AND THEY EXPLAINED TO ME THAT THEIR HANDS WERE TIED, BECAUSE THEY HAD STRICT ORDERS BY DR GILMAN NOT TO GIVE ME ANYTHING ELSE FOR PAIN. I WAS SENT TO THE HOSPITALS PHYSICAL THERAPY UNIT ONLY ONCE AND WAS DISCHARGED THE FOLLOWING DAY. THERE WAS NO PHYSICAL THERAPY SCHEDULED FOR ME (ON AN OUTPATIENT BASIS) NOTHING, I WAS GIVEN THE TYPICAL GENERIC POST OP DIRECTIONS THAT ARE GIVEN TO EVERYONE. IPRIOR TO LEAVING THE HOSPITAL, I ATTEMPTED ONE LAST TIME TO EXPLAIN THE MEDICATION THAT WAS PRESCRIBED FOR ME (I STARTED IN THE HOSPITAL) WAS NOT EVEN TOUCHING THE PAIN, AND COULDNT I BE GIVEN SOMETHING JUST A LITTLE BIT STRONGER, SO THAT I WOULD NOT HAVE TO SUFFER, HE GREW ANGRY AND BASICALLY TOLD ME IF YOU DONT WANT IT THAN YOU CAN GO HOME WITH NOTHING AT ALL, AND LEFT. I WOULD ADVISE AGAINST SELECTING THIS DOCTOR, FOR ANY SURGERY, UNLESS OF COURSE YOU WANT TO SUFFER. THE ENTIRE REASON I HAD SURGERY WAS BECAUSE OF THE PAIN, IN MY BACK, AND IN MY LEGS, WHICH HAS NOT EVEN BEEN MINIMIZED SINCE THIS SURGERY. GO TO PITTSBURGH, OR BETTER YET JUST SUFFER WITH THE PAIN YOU ARE CURRENTLY HAVING, BECAUSE IN THE END THIS "SURGEON" WILL ONLY MAKE THINGS WORSE!