Dr. Steven Gitelis MD Patient Reviews

• 3 reviews

no change

March 28th, 2013
Impersonal and arrogant
After many tests and concern of having metastatic bone cancer, I was referred to Dr. Gitelis because he was supposed to be the best in his field. I had been anxious for weeks, worried about the diagnosis I was about to hear. I wasn’t looking for a friend but considering his career choice, I did expect Dr. Gitelis to be mindful of fears I may have had. He may be reputed as one of the top orthopedic oncologists in the area but he is by far one of the least personable physicians I have ever met. As soon as he entered the room, he turned to face the computer and with his back to me said, “I’m Dr. Gitelis. So you’re having some problems?” He didn't make eye contact or even shake my hand. It was nearly 5 minutes before he looked at me. I wanted to understand the diagnosis he had just given me. He downplayed my concerns and was short with his answers, like I was wasting his time. He displayed that typical specialists’ arrogance. He was there to simply to state the clinical facts. All I could think was, ‘If he is this way to my face, how would he be in the operating room when I am under anesthesia? Or having post-op pain? How could he care about my disease when he clearly doesn't care about me.' I scheduled elsewhere for a second opinion, so needed copies of my images. RUSH offered to mail the disc but I needed them too quickly. Not only did they charge $10 a CD (unlike other prestigious local hospitals), there is no easy way to pick up the CD. RUSH does not have a short term parking area – the option was to valet for $9.50 for 0 - 30 minutes or to park in their garage, which is congested to say the least, for $8.00 for the few minutes I needed to be there. I will never go back and thankful for second opinions, I found a new Orthopedic Oncologist, with whom I have the utmost confidence.

April 13th, 2011
Over ten years ago, after being told she would lose her leg, my mother went to get a second opinion from Dr. Gitelis. He not only saved her leg, he patiently explained the very complicated procedure and the recovery process. Today she walks fine and only uses a cane when going out for a prolonged amount of time. I would recommend Dr. Gitelis in a heartbeat. He is undoubtedly an expert in his field and his bedside manner is extraordinary.

March 29th, 2011
he is a very good doctor and took very good care of me. I had my surgery and he checked up on me many times. He solved the problem and was 100% correct on everything from the beginning.