Orthopaedic Surgeon, Surgical Specialist

Patient Reviews ? Write a Review

2.5

|  Dare to do nothing  |  show details
by Jeff P. on Apr 29th, 2014

Doc Grindel showed courage and wisdom, bucking an entourage of fellows and students to recommend against surgery when I suffered a proximal humerus fracture. I have good insurance, and he could have gotten paid for the surgery all were recommending, but he was forthright and told me the outcome was probably no better that leaving it heal on its own, given my age and a clean break, and willingness to do a lot of PT. Outcome happens to be good, but the impressive thing is a matured surgeon who has learned the limits and benefits: when to cut and when to let it alone.

|  4 years later  |  show details
Jan 11th, 2014

Just a quick follow up to my Feb 23rd 2010 posting where Dr Grindel spent less than 5 minutes examining me and then went on to write a multiple page, elaborate report on his diagnosis that there was nothing wrong with either of my shoulders. Yea he was wrong! Eventually I did have the tears (which they said were significant) surgically repaired in both of my shoulders by a real Surgeon, and have recovered fully. This is more proof that Grindel is either a bad Doctor or a paid liar. It is ONLY about the money, go elsewhere

|  Excellent Orthopedic Surgeon  |  show details
by Judy G on Oct 22nd, 2013

Dr. Grindel is a wonderful surgeon, who really knows how to repair shoulders. I'm better than new with no pain and full range of motion after having rotator cuff repair. I highly recommend him.

|  Horrible  |  show details
Jul 16th, 2013

I will never go back ever, he was rude and condescending to say the least. He assumed I wanted surgery when I wanted an MRI to determine if my dislocated shoulder required any additional attention. I waited for 2 hours, which seems to be standard practice for him. His fellow apologized but by then I was checked out and ready to leave. I will be getting a second opinion and filing a formal complaint.

|  NOT a jerk at all  |  show details
by Brenda Crank on Jun 21st, 2013

This doctor took seriously the devastation of my shattered shoulder and followed my progress as I survived heart surgery to get to the point where my injury could be repaired. He took the time to discuss possible outcomes and what type of replacement I might end up with. He was friendly and kind. His work is excellent and I have no nerve damage, no problems with healing, very little scarring. I think the large number of UNSIGNED reviews here are from one disgruntled person. If you have an injury that requires two repairs, the insurance company doesn't owe you double the recovery time. Seriously, Dr. Grindel was gentle and kind and took good care of my right shoulder. I'm putting MY name on my review because I can stand behind what I'm saying.

|  NEVER SEE THIS GUY  |  show details
by JK on May 15th, 2013

I was referred to this jerk by my primary care physician at Froedtert. I was already receiving PT and still experiencing severe shoulder pain. He did Xrays and injected cortisone from behind my shoulder. He seemed more interested in entertaining his entourage of students with his skillful use of the ultrasound than in my injection. I was told to continue therapy. I gained no releif from neither the PT nor the injection. Hence I requested an MRI. After Dr. Grindel`s initial diagnosis of no rotator cuff tears, limited arthritis, and frozen shoulder I was now diagnosed with 2 partial tears and bone spurs requiring not 1 but 2 surgeries which because of his schedule I was encourage to book that day. I had already spent almost 2 thousand dollars and 3 months with no results and was looking at at a pair of surgeries. Thank God for a second opinion. Dr McCarty started all over and injected the cortisone properly, I played golf 3 days later. Stay away from this smug, arrogant cutter. You at least owe yourself another opinion.

|  I'm a Nurse  |  show details
Apr 3rd, 2013

Dr. Grindel is the only MD who has ever brought up the subject of money, never saw anything like it before. I had a broken wrist, needed surgery to fix. He did a great job, but I had no insurance and he stood there in front of his team, put his hands on his hips and said, "Well I want to get paid!" I was shocked that a doctor would say this since I was employed as a nurse and made my payments. During my rehab he had me visiting his office once a week for several weeks in which he spent a few minutes going over my xray that day, then charge me $600. I was healing fine and ready to go back to work, when he told me that he may have to "go back in" because he thought my wrist wasn't healing properly. I was having no problems whatsoever so I declined any further surgery. I then heard him give the exact same speech to the patient in the exam room next to me. I did not have any further surgery as was his suggestion and after 7 years I haven't had any problems with my wrist, it's fine. I would not recommend this doctor.

|  bad doctor  |  show details
Feb 24th, 2013

This doctor doesnt care or listen. He wont even consider he there still a problem after surgery. Cocky bad attitude!!!!!!!!!!!

|  Fce  |  show details
Jan 31st, 2013

Dr is smug , questions were pointed toward discrediting patient. He would ask questions rapid fire and not give you a chance to answer before moving on to the next. He actually answered some questions himself.EXTREMLY RUDE, lacked credibility!!

|  Exceptional Experience  |  show details
Jul 17th, 2012

I wasn't sure what to expect regarding my recovery from rotator cuff surgery. The results were amazing and I am returning to 100% recovery. I could not be more satisfied with the outcome of the procedure. Dr. Grindel is an outstanding surgeon and his staff is excellent as well.

|  quack  |  show details
Jul 17th, 2012

This moron spent most of his time examining my left arm. I had rt shoulder repalacement surgery. After placing my arm in an awkward position he pushed with brute forceon it and said my left shoulder has a torn rotator cuff. There's nothing wrong with that shoulder. This was an IME form workers comp. what an idiot. Then he questioned everything about my doctor inclulding why he hasn't released me for work. I am recovering from rotator cuff and shoulder replacement surgeries. 2 surgeries in one equals twice the recovery time and it's only been 4 months. I know he will say what the ins co wants so bring on the lawyers.

|  Disrespectful and arrogant  |  show details
May 10th, 2012

|  Success Surgical Outcome - Shoulder Surgery  |  show details
Dec 7th, 2011

Dr. Grindel did a shoulder surgery on me in August, 2011. I am now just finishing up my physical therapy and about to be released from his care. Before the surgery, I was suffering from a painful complication caused from a prior surgical mistake(by another doctor), and Dr. Gridel saved me from a life of being handicapped. I now have about 85% functionality and 95% range of motion in that arm/shoulder. I am VERY happy I found Dr. Grindel and would highly recommend him to anyone. He is very confident in his approach and knew exactly how to fix my problem. I found him to be very kind and compassionate, as well.

|  Best shoulder surgeon in Milwaukee!!  |  show details
Nov 7th, 2011

As an MD myself, I researched "shoulder experts" thoroughly before choosing Dr. Grindel, & was completely pleased with both the surgery & the result. Highly recommended!

|  Has he changed?  |  show details
Jul 19th, 2011

I have read recent reviews of this doctor and cannot believe what I am seeing.Has he changed to be a good and caring doctor? I certainly hope so.He was the worst doctor I have ever seen.

|  Hand  |  show details
May 20th, 2011

This man should not be practicing. He is only interested in the payment.

|  Great doctor  |  show details
May 9th, 2011

Would recommend Dr Grindel to anyone needing arm or shoulder surgery. He helped me considerably with an off work accident that involved numerous surgeries to repair damage and just recently repaired my torn rotator cuff. His staff and surgical team are comprehensive and extremely professional without being cold and uncaring.R. Welniak

|  Excellent physician, Very knowledgeable about shoulders!  |  show details
Apr 14th, 2011

I saw Dr. Grindel today for a 2nd opinion. I had a shoulder surgery from another orthopedic surgeon. My surgery was in December, 2010 and now it is 4 months later. By now, I should have full range motion in my shoulder, however, I have had a complication. I have what is called a frozen shoulder. My overall experience today with Dr. Grindel has been outstanding!! Dr. Grindel was very, very knowledgeable about my situation, he has a very caring and compassionate bedside manner. He LISTENED to every word I said, all of my concerns and the pain that I am still having. I very much liked the process that I underwent. I first talked to a doctor/intern for him to get allllll of my details. The intern did a very thorough assessment and even took measurement of not only my range of motion, but also my strength and lack of strength in various movements. I then saw Dr. Grindel. He didn't rush me, he never made me feel like I was wasting his time. He had a lengthy discussion with me as to what he feels is going on with my condidtion and made his recommendations. I would very highly, highly recommend him to ANYONE that has any shoulder problem. I feel very comfortable with the course of action that he has recommended for me. Before today, I had never met him and I am very glad that I now am under his care!!

|  Great experience!  |  show details
Apr 14th, 2011

Dr. Grindel saw me when many other providers would not see me for a second opinion. He was very diligent and thorough and explained my problem clearly. I've got my life back thanks to Dr. Grindel.

Mar 10th, 2011

Dr. Grindel has always treated me with the utmost respect and caring. explaings things throughly in terms you can understand.I had him as my surgeon in kenosha, and i've followed him to milwaukee. kenosha lost a great dr. we are so greatful he is still in a reasonable distance for us. i'm shocked to read the other reviews. i have never experinced any of the things they have said.

Jan 26th, 2011

Dr. Grindel is a total jerk. He treated me as if I were a fly on the wall. He was nasty and insulting. He called other doctors who had made a diagnosis guilty of malpractice.He refused to fill out follow up paperwork for Workman;s Comp.I have never met a person as arrogant and cruel as he is.

Dec 28th, 2010

This guy is a major sell out to any insurance company offering a check to him. After completing a brief exam and quick look at my MRI films he concluded there was no injury to me and that I should just exercise and lose weight to heal my shoulder. I'm still fighting with workcomp for them to pay for more treatment after his conclusion theres nothing wrong with me. Stay away from this quack !!!!

Feb 23rd, 2010

The three other comments below have it exactly right. He had a very arrogant attitude, he asked a few general questions, looked at my x-rays and then wrote up a generic, bias report. His findings supported the position of the people paying him, and completely contradicted four other doctors' opinions. It's so obvious what this guy is about, he is so predictable, so greasy, yet somehow he still carries credibility. I heard some doctors have to resort to making a living this way because they can't cut it as a surgeon. As I stated above, I had brought in a large manilla envelope full of x-rays for him to review, at the very end he pulled them out, looked at them one at a time and then launched them on the bed and said "you can put those away now, I'm done". and walked out of the room.

Jan 14th, 2010

Dr. Grindel doesn't care about patient best interest. He is driven by what is best for him and his wallet. His bedside manner is terrible. His standard of care is weak. Save yourself the headache and go to someone better.

Dec 18th, 2009

dr. grindel is a egotistical jerk. he does not listen to the patient and passes judgement on them. everything that i told him during my lengthy visit with him, he turned it around and documented the exact opposite. i don't know for sure if he is just a quack or a total sell out to the highest bidder. if you are involved in a car accident and the other insurance company wants you to see a docotr, refuse to go to this one. he obviously is getting a big payoff from the other insurance company. he documented range of motion degrees in the shoulder without even measuring. he is just guessing and lying to the isnurance company to pad his own pocket. i feel badly for anyone getting treatment from this doctor.

Feb 20th, 2009

Dr. Grindel presents medical judgements based on others findings without confirmation for a workers comp insurance company called CorVel Corp.