Dr. Steven Grindel MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.1

March 9th, 2016
Perfect Dr. for me. He repaired 1 shoulder with such good results I went back to him when my other shoulder got injured.

January 30th, 2015
Total Reverse Shoulder
I was referred by an orthopaedic physician who is located an hour north of the Medical College of WI. All of my MCW appointments were managed professionally with the utmost concern for my future health benefits. Dr. Grindell relayed expectations for surgical outcomes, both positive and negative, plus he has a sense of humor that made both my husband and myself comfortable facing the inevitable need for surgery. What we liked best is how Dr. Grindell, and his associates, encouraged me to fully participate in my expedient post-op recovery. Despite being semi-retired, I am not one to lay around. I work for a private sports center where one learns to appreciate that physical exercise is paramount to a healthy body. I have not one negative thought about the excellent care received at either MCW or Froedtert Hospital. In fact, the quality of technological treatments, physician team members, and food was superior to any hospital I have been associated with in the past.

December 22nd, 2014
Seems more concerned about entertaining the students than educating the patient. He did not explained all the procedures being considered and did not visit pre surgery to go over the surgery plan. Had to have second surgery with a different surgeon to repair and, while not 100%, it is OK. Suggest you have a another doctor/surgeon review and explain any signed paper work and authorizations prior to any procedures. Surgery skill may be very good but assumes too much without asking or explaining.

April 29th, 2014
Dare to do nothing
Doc Grindel showed courage and wisdom, bucking an entourage of fellows and students to recommend against surgery when I suffered a proximal humerus fracture. I have good insurance, and he could have gotten paid for the surgery all were recommending, but he was forthright and told me the outcome was probably no better that leaving it heal on its own, given my age and a clean break, and willingness to do a lot of PT. Outcome happens to be good, but the impressive thing is a matured surgeon who has learned the limits and benefits: when to cut and when to let it alone.

October 22nd, 2013
Excellent Orthopedic Surgeon
Dr. Grindel is a wonderful surgeon, who really knows how to repair shoulders. I'm better than new with no pain and full range of motion after having rotator cuff repair. I highly recommend him.

July 16th, 2013
Horrible
I will never go back ever, he was rude and condescending to say the least. He assumed I wanted surgery when I wanted an MRI to determine if my dislocated shoulder required any additional attention. I waited for 2 hours, which seems to be standard practice for him. His fellow apologized but by then I was checked out and ready to leave. I will be getting a second opinion and filing a formal complaint.

June 21st, 2013
NOT a jerk at all
This doctor took seriously the devastation of my shattered shoulder and followed my progress as I survived heart surgery to get to the point where my injury could be repaired. He took the time to discuss possible outcomes and what type of replacement I might end up with. He was friendly and kind. His work is excellent and I have no nerve damage, no problems with healing, very little scarring. I think the large number of UNSIGNED reviews here are from one disgruntled person. If you have an injury that requires two repairs, the insurance company doesn't owe you double the recovery time. Seriously, Dr. Grindel was gentle and kind and took good care of my right shoulder. I'm putting MY name on my review because I can stand behind what I'm saying.

May 15th, 2013
NEVER SEE THIS GUY
I was referred to this jerk by my primary care physician at Froedtert. I was already receiving PT and still experiencing severe shoulder pain. He did Xrays and injected cortisone from behind my shoulder. He seemed more interested in entertaining his entourage of students with his skillful use of the ultrasound than in my injection. I was told to continue therapy. I gained no releif from neither the PT nor the injection. Hence I requested an MRI. After Dr. Grindel`s initial diagnosis of no rotator cuff tears, limited arthritis, and frozen shoulder I was now diagnosed with 2 partial tears and bone spurs requiring not 1 but 2 surgeries which because of his schedule I was encourage to book that day. I had already spent almost 2 thousand dollars and 3 months with no results and was looking at at a pair of surgeries. Thank God for a second opinion. Dr McCarty started all over and injected the cortisone properly, I played golf 3 days later. Stay away from this smug, arrogant cutter. You at least owe yourself another opinion.

April 3rd, 2013
I'm a Nurse
Dr. Grindel is the only MD who has ever brought up the subject of money, never saw anything like it before. I had a broken wrist, needed surgery to fix. He did a great job, but I had no insurance and he stood there in front of his team, put his hands on his hips and said, "Well I want to get paid!" I was shocked that a doctor would say this since I was employed as a nurse and made my payments. During my rehab he had me visiting his office once a week for several weeks in which he spent a few minutes going over my xray that day, then charge me $600. I was healing fine and ready to go back to work, when he told me that he may have to "go back in" because he thought my wrist wasn't healing properly. I was having no problems whatsoever so I declined any further surgery. I then heard him give the exact same speech to the patient in the exam room next to me. I did not have any further surgery as was his suggestion and after 7 years I haven't had any problems with my wrist, it's fine. I would not recommend this doctor.

February 24th, 2013
bad doctor
This doctor doesnt care or listen. He wont even consider he there still a problem after surgery. Cocky bad attitude!!!!!!!!!!!

January 31st, 2013
Fce
Dr is smug , questions were pointed toward discrediting patient. He would ask questions rapid fire and not give you a chance to answer before moving on to the next. He actually answered some questions himself.EXTREMLY RUDE, lacked credibility!!

July 17th, 2012
Exceptional Experience
I wasn't sure what to expect regarding my recovery from rotator cuff surgery. The results were amazing and I am returning to 100% recovery. I could not be more satisfied with the outcome of the procedure. Dr. Grindel is an outstanding surgeon and his staff is excellent as well.