Dr. Steven Reich MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

4.8

September 27th, 2016
T Boned with a Fractured C2
To Whom It May Concern, I just wanted to put in writing how totally pleased I am with Dr. Steven Reich and his wonderful staff. He and all his staff are truly exceptional in their attention to detail and in striving to make a patient feel comfortable. I was in a terrible car accident last October, T Boned while waiting to make a turn and not moving. I was taken to the hospital, they did a cat scan, x rays and released me and told me to see an orthopedic doctor in the next few days. All they did was load me up with pain meds and sent me home. Subsequently, I went to see an orthopedic doctor two days later and was in excruciating pain. He sent me for an MRI the next day. I knew it wasn’t good news when they told me the doctor’s office was on the phone and instructed me to come back immediately. My accident happened on a Friday afternoon and this was now Tuesday afternoon. The doctor told me I had a fracture in my neck, C 2 vertebrate, he put me into a neck collar and said I would need surgery. Fortunately my husband is a technician and works at a hospital in New Jersey. One of his colleagues gave him the name of Dr. Steven Reich who kindly agreed to see me. It was the best thing that I ever did. Dr. Reich examined me, sent me for some tests and told me that I did not need surgery. I would have to be in a neck brace for up to three months but most likely the fracture would heal on its own without surgery. That was music to my ears! I can’t begin to thank him for seeing me, taking on my case and encouraging me not to have the surgery. By diligently wearing the neck brace 24/7 for three months and then going for physical therapy, I am happy to say that I have no residual effects from this injury. Dr. Reich is a surgeon yet he advised me not to go the surgical route, that in my case it was not necessary. As the saying goes, he is truly a gentleman and a scholar and my savior. Dr. Reich reassured me from day one and was kind, patient and took the time to answer all of my questions and concerns. His office staff was just as kind and helpful. If you find yourself in need of an orthopedic surgeon, I would wholeheartedly recommend Dr. Steven Reich to guide you and recommend the proper path for you. I am so thankful to have my life back to normal and to feel good again and not be in pain anymore. Thank you Dr. Reich!!!

April 7th, 2016
Amazing surgeon and staff!
As medical professional (sonographer) I can be a very difficult patient! As young woman who has always been very active and involved in sports, hearing the words you need spinal surgery was not what I wanted to hear. I was terrified! My story begins with some concerning lower back pain over the course of a year. I finally went for the MRI to discover L1 thru S1 are bulging. I went through all the chiropractic and acupuncture process with great success. Until one cold morning I twisted while taking my bike off a ceiling hook. The hip pain from that point was unbearable. It was like a nail driving into the side of my hip. After a few weeks it was radiating down my whole leg. Off to a repeat MRI I went... L4-L5 was now severely pinching the nerve effecting my leg. Now I got to meet Dr. Reich. The process from scheduling my first appointment to how payments are made was so simple and well explained by his staff ahead of time. During my first visit Dr. Reich was exceptional! He took the time to do a full examination showing and explain to me the weakness I had in my leg and what was causing it. Not once did I feel like a number or that he was in a rush. He took the time to answer all of my and my husbands questions. His recommendation was a micro discectomy/ laminectomy of L4-L5. And he was sure to explain why surgery was for me my only option to fix the leg pain. His staff walked me through all the papers and out of network insurance information and then the surgery scheduling process. Surgery day...... I was a wreck!!!!! Terrified!!! Crying like crazy!! I'm a very bad patient. From the front desk at the surgery center, to the nurses, support staff, anesthesiologist, assistant surgeon, and Dr Reich were AMAZING!! They did everything in their power to make me comfortable. After my surgery they went above and beyond to be sure I would be comfortable for the hour long car ride home. Not to mention I was up and walking around before I even left with no leg pain already. Since surgery I have no leg pain what so ever :-) Very minimal weakness compared to the other leg. And only noticed during his exam. I do have some low back pain but none of it is from the surgery. There are other discs that "keep the weather in check for me". And this was all explained to me by Dr Reich prior to surgery. Each follow up visit Dr Reich saw me and his staff was great! Walking me through the healing process every step of the way. I cannot say enough positive things about Dr Reich and his staff in each the office and the surgery center. I'd recommend him to any family member or friend of mine in a heart beat. THANK YOU DR REICH AND STAFF!!

February 24th, 2016
The Best Spinal Surgeon in the World
I am 61 years old and for several years I had been suffering from lower back pain. As time went by the pain became worse and worse, spreading from my lower back, down through my right leg as far as my foot. I lived with the pain for as long as I could, but it finally became a “quality of life issue”. I could no longer function or participate in daily activities. I tried chiropractic therapy, anti inflammatory medications, narcotic pain medications, and epidural injections… nothing worked. I got to the point where I needed crutches just to get around, and even then the pain I was experiencing was intolerable. I finally went to see Dr. Steven M. Reich of Affiliated Orthopaedic Specialists in New Jersey. Dr. Reich came highly recommended not only by his former patients, but by his peers as well. That was the best decision of my life. First, I must comment on the staff at Affiliated Orthopaedic Specialists. Each and every one of them, without exception, comprise a group of the most compassionate, sincere and dedicated people you could ever wish for. My heartfelt thanks goes out to each and every one of them. On to Dr. Reich: The first, and most refreshing experience, was that when you are in his exam room you have his undivided attention. There is nothing more important to him, than you! While you might wait awhile to see him, once he’s in the room, you have him – there is no rushing! Whether it takes 15 minutes or an hour and a half in that room, it makes no difference to him. He will listen carefully to everything you say. He will answer every single question, no matter how repetitive, in a manner that you can understand. Unlike many surgeons, Dr. Reich is in no hurry to get you into the operating room. In fact, until you have proven to him that you have tried every single non-surgical approach to your condition, he will not even talk to you about a surgical solution. Once it has been determined that surgery is your only option, Dr. Reich will walk you through the process. He will take as much time as necessary to explain to you what has to be done and how it gets done. He will thoroughly explain to you what you can expect from the surgery, what the risks are, and what you can expect as an outcome. Dr. Reich is an extremely compassionate man. He understands that surgery, especially spinal surgery, is a very frightening experience… and he knows how to put your mind at ease. As far as his expertise as a surgeon goes; to call Dr. Reich a “miracle worker”, would be a gross understatement of his abilities. In my opinion, he is quite simply the best there is! My procedure involved the removal of the disks between L4 and L5, and L5 and S1, the insertion of “cages” where the disks were removed, and the installation of screws and rods to support my spine while the process of fusion ran its course. I was in the operating room for between four and five hours, and then spent three days in the hospital before they sent me home. The first thirty days of at-home recovery were definitely the toughest. Not because you’re in pain, but mostly because you’re afraid to move. Once you get your confidence back, the rest is just a walk in the park – literally! I am now thirteen weeks post-op. After three follow-up visits, Dr. Reich has just cleared me for normal activities. In fact; I’m already back to playing golf! After years of suffering, I now have absolutely no pain in my back and no pain in my leg – like I said… Dr. Reich is most definitely a “miracle worker”. While I fully understand the fear and apprehension that one experiences when contemplating a procedure such as mine, I am here to tell you – it’s worth it. Dr. Reich and his staff will give you your life back… GO SEE HIM.

January 17th, 2016
Excellent Surgeon! The best!
Dr. Reiche is an exceptional surgeon! It doesn't get any better than him. I've had 3 back surgeries in the last 15 years and each and every time he was wonderful. Dr Reiche is professional, patient, knowledgeable, and very much cares about his patients. I highly recommend him to everyone that has the unfortunate experience of back issues. Thank you Dr. Reiche!

December 2nd, 2015
Best Spinal Surgeon ANYWHERE!
There's not much to say about D. Reich. Spinal surgery is a scary experience... If you want the absolute BEST surgeon on the PLANET.... see Dr. Reich. There simply is no better surgeon.... anywhere. After 2 years of suffering; I am totally PAIN FREE. During your visit with him... YOU are the ONLY important thing to him. You may have to wait awhile, but he gives every patient his total focus, and all the time they need... so its definitely worth it.

October 14th, 2015
Dr. Reich and his staff are spectacular! He spends quality time explaining every detail of your diagnosis. His office staff are the most helpful and pleasant I have ever experienced!

October 13th, 2015
Dr Reich is the best
I have been a hospital pharmacist for 20 years and when I suffered a herniated disc in my neck with radiculopathy every doctor, nurse, pharmacist and administrator I spoke with recommended Dr Reich. Dr Reich has exceeded my expectations in all areas - he was patient with my myriad questions and anxiety, he set me at ease with his sense of humor, and he performed a painless, nearly scarless procedure. I had surgery at RWJUH in New Brunswick and his team of nurse practitioners Diane and Shauday are simply the best at what they do. His office staff are understanding and professional. I am very grateful to have Dr Reich as my doctor.

September 25th, 2015
5-year followup visit - back surgery
Dr. Reich performed lower back surgery on me approx. 5 years ago. Having a family history of back problems, it was my best option to eliminate the recurring low back pain I’d dealt with for many years. The initial surgery went well and without complications, and I was home the next day. After the standard 6 weeks of physical therapy I returned for my follow-up with Dr. Reich. This is where he truly shines as a doctor! His surgical skills are beyond outstanding and if ever I need further back surgery, he would be my only choice. At the follow-up, he greeted me as if I were long-lost family and made me feel like I was the most important person there. He took the time to go over my x-rays, explained exactly what he did surgically, and showed me how the healing process was progressing (bone growth, etc). He answered all of my questions, never rushing or making me feel like I had to rush through the visit. At my 5-year follow-up just recently, I was concerned that I may have hurt my back as I was experiencing low back pain. After reviewing my latest x-rays with me, he was thrilled at how well my fusions had healed and pointed out everything on the x-rays. He assured me that I did not damage anything in my spine. He took the time to explain that the pain I was feeling was caused by weakened lower back muscles. My fault entirely as I had slacked off on doing my regular back exercises. Dr. Reich took the time to show me a set of exercises that would strengthen my lower back – and Yes - he got on the floor with me and showed me how to do these exercises properly! I can’t leave out the fact that his office staff and nurses there are the nicest group of people I have ever encountered in a doctor’s office. They were helpful and pleasant and truly cared about how I was doing. I don’t have to return for another 5 years, but every chance I get I sing his praises. I have already recommended him to a few people and without hesitation would recommend him to anyone in need of back surgery.

June 9th, 2015
MRI Diagnosis for Back & Left Leg Pain
After waiting to see the doctor the nurse led me to the check up room treated me sub humanely, no respect, manner or tact. I almost wanted to leave but I am glad I did not. The doctor came to the room totally changed my feeling, friendly confident, considerate, passionate and thoroughly experienced in the subject matter . After looking at MRI film, discussing the intricate as shown and checking my symptoms he highly recommended physical therapy for a herniated disk at lower back. My session with this great doctor was interrupted three times by that nurse trying to get him out while he was talking with me or recording his observation for the report. My high score is based on Doctor Reich personally. It was worth the wait. I am currently doing Physical Therapy, improvement noticed Thanks Dr. Reich

December 29th, 2014
most recommended by all my other family doctors, (gynecologist, dermatologist, ENT specialist, etc.) He is the best!

October 22nd, 2014
Top shelf
Dr. Reich is exceptional in every way. He genuinely cares for his patients and their well-being. He gives you all the time you need to get explanations of your condition and treatment options. He answers all of your questions no matter how long it takes. He takes personal responsibility for all of your care. He cares more about you than himself.

October 20th, 2014
Taking the pain away!!!!
Last July, DR. Reich came very highly recommended by my regular orthopedic after he saw the MRI of my neck. Although he had performed fushion surgeries he felt mine was more complicated and said "Dr. Reich was the best". Dr. Reich just didn't take the results I brought to him and immediately schedule surgery. He wanted the tests done at facilities where he knew everything was calibrated to make an informed prognosis. After meeting with him, he walked us through all the pros/cons, showed us the issues and had his staff deal with our insurance company to make sure we would be taken care of. Surgery was scheduled, the surgery center was amazing, staff was helpful and when it was completed DR. Reich talked with us and reassured me I would feel much, much better than I did. He was right!!!! After 3 months recovery, I returned back to work and have never felt better. I would and have recommended him to anyone needing a DR for spinal issues. Thanks again for giving me a pain free life.