Dr. Steven Spandorfer MD Patient Reviews

• Good
  • Bad

March 13th, 2017
Ladies, save yourselves
Dr. Spandorfer is someone I would recommend you avoid if you anticipate being treated with dignity and respect. Don't make my stupid mistake and not read reviews from all the sites before you make your first appointment for something this important. Compare and contrast a few doctors and you will find that there are some that get almost consistent rave reviews, and then there is Dr. Spandorfer. You'll notice a consistent theme- he is generally dismissive and annoyed that you are there and that he has to answer your questions. He will walk out of the room while you are still talking, not even giving you five minutes of time (I'm not exaggerating). He left out key details of something important on one visit and when I asked him about it on my next visit he actually reprimanded me for asking. I looked at the nurse and she looked down-I can't imagine what goes through his staff's head. Zero compassion, zero bedside manner. Always willing to do loads of expensive tests that I later found out I didn't really need. Literally never followed up once personally, would just have a staff member call with results of blood tests and hung up. I switched to a smaller practice and regardless if I get pregnant or not, I am infinitely happier because I am being treated with kindness and decency with a doctor who will actually communicate.

June 9th, 2016
Lack of interesting to a patient! Never suggested anything. He doesn't believe any other treatments... All about age.. So bad

July 8th, 2015
Amazing Dr and Person
Dr. S is an amazing person. He is extremely knowledgeable, caring, smart and respectful. Every part of our care was outstanding. Bravo to him and his wonderful team. The best of the best!

April 27th, 2015
Looking for arrogance, negativity and dismissive condescension? Have I got a doctor for you!
Just a note to anyone looking for an IVF doctor with a good bedside manner, Dr. Spandorfer is not for you. I'm a note-taker; it's how I metabolize information best, plus I have a bad memory and sometimes need to go back to them later to reconstruct what was said. When we met him for the first time and were taking on board a lot of information, he told me to put my notebook away. I told him in a friendly way that it's just the way I take things in, but when I persisted, he became visibly annoyed and insisted again that I didn't need to take notes. I continued because I felt it was my right to do what I needed to do and that I shouldn't give in to his bullying. My question is: why did he care? I should have listened to my instinct then and gone to another doctor, but I didn't. I stayed and did three rounds of treatment with him because I reasoned that it didn't matter what doctor we had; that we were really with Weill Cornell rather than any one doctor and they were the best; and that we should just go with him instead of wasting any time switching around. In retrospect, I should have gone to someone else, as I found him to be frequently rushed and sometimes downright rude. When I would try to encourage him to acknowledge my husband and include him in the conversation as he was as involved in this process as I was, he would consistently dismiss him with a sideways glance and comments like, "I'm lucky if I remember my own patients." He struck me as someone who may have cared about his job at one time, but was in the grind of a job he barely liked now. We went through one true round of IVF. Then, when we only produced one egg on round two, he neglected to recommend that we do IUI, so the process was wasted. When we produced only one egg in round 3 and he suggested that we do IUI, I asked him why he hadn't suggested we do that last time and he said that I hadn't produced an egg last time even though he had shown me the egg and we followed it through production. The fact was, and I confirmed this with another doctor in the practice, he dropped the ball. Before we did that last IUI (because we didn't have enough eggs to do IVF), he told us that we had less than a one percent chance of conceiving, which may have been true, but he was so bleak and un-encouraging in his tone. Another doctor in the practice who examined me earlier in the process had at least had the kindness to say "You only need one egg to work one time! I've seen it happen!" When we miraculously conceived our daughter during that IUI, Dr. Spandorfer could hardly muster a congratulations and seemed almost comically disappointed that I was pregnant. I guess because he didn't have much, if anything, to do with it.

March 21st, 2013
Dr. Spandorfer may be knowledgeable but he does not take any initiative to provide customized care case by case basis. He puts patients into the standardized protocol for IVF, if it works its fine or else he recommends donor egg program. This is completely unacceptable from a doctor at Cornell.

October 10th, 2012
I am 38 and just learned that my second round of IUI with clomid failed. Even though Spandorfer had the day off he called me from home after receiving the message from his nurse. He is a kind and patient man.. I am very lucky to have found him. Hopefully he will be able to help me become pregnant in the next few months.

August 9th, 2012
I couldn't be more pleased!
I was referred to Dr. Spandorfer by a single Mom by choice after an inconsistency in my test scores between what I was told over the phone and then in person by Dr. Suzanne Park at CWRC - the ultimate diagnosis being that I only had a 15% chance of becoming pregnant and even that would require me to go straight to IVF versus doing a few non-medicated IUI's to see what happens. My initial appointment with Dr. Spandorfer started out with a very relaxed appointment in his office where he sat with me and went over all the diagnosis given him by CWRC. He was very thorough and clear in answering all my questions and when the topic of this particular score came up and my concerns around it, he immediately suggested we not only test it again but also that he do an exam and scans himself to see what the situation was. Oddly enough, the Dr. at CWRC never once even took a look at my insides to approach the diagnosis from that point.Between having done this and the necessary testing he determined that "going straight to IVF or doing anything aggressive" before doing at least 3-4 non-medicated IUI's would equate to our definitely jumping the gun. I took his advice, did one IUI which didn't take and then met my now partner with whom within 2 months (LITERALLY) we were pregnant...and with TWINS!! Clearly the diagnosis at CWRC was beyond incorrect.There were many things I liked about working with Dr. Spandorfer and they include always being seen in a timely manner, the kindness and prompt attention from his staff (Brenda & Carolina), his attention to detail, and especially his light-hearted & jovial way of being. All these things contributed to making my experience at Cornell and what might have been a more emotionally heavy experience, instead one that was easy and made me feel very confident.I have and would continue to recommend Dr. Spandorfer and the team at Cornell to anyone wishing professional and sensitive expertise.Oh, and being able to make appointments as early as 7AM or get results back so fast because they have their own labs is a big bonus of being at this practice too!

June 10th, 2012
He did it!
After unsuccessful attempts at CWRC, a few women told me to see Dr Spandorfer. He is a miracle worker. After 1 IVF, I am the happiest mommy on the planet! I think he is fantastic! My daughter is turning 2 next month and I owe it all to Dr Spandorfer.

May 26th, 2012
Gets the job done
Ladies, when it comes to getting pregnant, go to where the job gets done. The hand holding and tear drying is your partners/families job. He is caring and funny in his own way. At the end of the day if there's a baby in your uterus, then his job is done. Isn't that the point! He is efficient and knows his field. I am a physician myself and wouldn't go to anyone else.

December 6th, 2011
So lucky we found Dr. Spandorfer!
After completing one cycle at another IVF facility and having a very bad experience, a friend told me to see Dr. Spandorfer. She has 2 boys from 2 different cycles at CRMI and gushed about Spandorfer. Several of her friends also had success with him. So I called and scheduled a consult with him. I got lucky and they ultimately scheduled me in quickly, due to a cancellation.Right from the start, I felt they had such a professional approach. They told me exactly what I would need to bring and what my previous IVF clinic would need to send.When my husband and I met with Dr. Spandorfer, we both felt a million times better about things. He has a wonderful bedside manner that just puts you right at ease. He joked around with us and made a heavy subject a little lighter. We were so grateful that our friend recommended him.I had what turned out to be a polyp in my uterus. He removed that and said we could start IVF after my next period. Throughout the entire process, he was available to speak to me any time I had questions. His nurse, Jackie, is beyond amazing and always on top of things! My calls were always answered the same day and they really respected the fact that I was paying entirely out of pocket for this. When we went in for the embryo transfer, my husband and I had a few questions, this being our first cycle. Dr. Spandorfer came out before my transfer and patiently answered each and every single one of our questions. We just love him!I'm now expecting our first child in 2012! I have since recommended Dr. Spandorfer and his staff to tons of friends. This is not an easy process and having the right doctor and team makes a world of difference.

October 28th, 2011
Terrible experience
This was one of the worst - if not the worst - experiences I have ever had with a Dr. He worked extremely hard to push me into IVF and told me point blank that I would not get pregnant naturally and that my only option was IVF. I felt strongly that I did not want to go that route, and instead removed stress factors from my life and introduced other things such as accupuncture and was pregnant within 2 months. I could not help wonder if he tries to push people through the IVF factory for his own personal financial gain. Alternatively, I can not recommend Dr Sami David highly enough - he is fantastic and is the Dr I saw after seeing Dr Spandorfer. Dr David offered a positive, natural approach and is so incredibly caring.

September 13th, 2011
The BEST doctor out there
I can't recommend Dr. Spandorfer enough. He is the kindest, most compassionate physician I have ever interacted with, AND the most qualified experienced straight shooter that is out there. He is a wonderful physician that is calming and strategic during a time that can be fraught with anxiety and unhappiness. A++++ for Dr. Spandorfer!