Dr. Steve Chang MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

October 21st, 2016
Best doc
Great bedside manner. I feel great

September 21st, 2016
First off it took me Over 2 months to get an office visit. I was told they never got a referral from my primary doctor. Which was untrue. Because I waited until my doctor called me to tell me they sent the referral. Then I had to hand deliver my doctors notes and MRI's TWICE because after waiting 2 wks & never receiving a call from them I called them back & she was Very Rude saying again, that they never received a referral & they needed the doctors notes, which I dropped off & the MRI reports, not the disks/CD's I dropped off. So I had to run around the valley AGAIN signing release forms & getting my MRI reports a 2nd time & drop them off Again. When I Did Finally get an office visit. I was made to wait NO LESS than 1 1/2 HRS. When Steve W Chang finally did come in, he had an CRAP ATTITUDE like How Dare I go out & get a 2nd opinion. It was even a 2nd opinion my primary Dr wanted me to go see a Neurologist over a yr ago & I never did thinking that the nerve conduction test I had were all I needed, until I was told otherwise many months later. The guy basically told me I only had 2 bulging discs & that many or most of his patients are a lot worse. That was my Cervical area. He Never even addressed my Lumbar area, Despite requesting that I get 2 More x-rays on both my cervical & lumbar region? Odd?? He said because I have degenerating discs that their was no sense in doing surgery, cause if he fixes them the other disc will just get bad. He was walking out the door when I was trying to talk to him & ask him that a previous Surgeon I had gone to just a couple months ago said that where it said "Marked" at C-5 & C-6 as oppose to mild etc. that that was bad & he was going to do surgery to fuse my neck & Chang said "well I'm just one surgeon, if you want to go back to him go back to him". I had Only gone for a 2nd opinion to the orthopedic surgeon because I was looking for something long term, because #1 I'm concerned that I may not have or be able to get health insurance down the line & #2 the anesthesia I am having to take getting RFA's time after time are causing me severe memory loss. Because my insurance requires that I do a series of 3 pain blockers on Both my Cervical & Lumbar area & get relief Before my doctors could do the RFA's & since I am in school, I was doing a final my mind went blank. I can't afford that & so the last one I did I did it with No anesthesia & it was so Painful & thought I was going to die. Other than that I LOVE my doctors over at Az Pain Specialist, they are the ones that gave me Hope 1 1/2 yrs ago that the RFA's could last a whole Yr as oppose to just a couple/few wks like the pain blockers do & the RFA's did in fact last a whole year. I am just concerned like I said because I go to school at 56 yrs old because I couldn't find a job that would pay me a living wage & so I can't afford to have or get early dementia and/or Alzheimers, as I am not wealthy & have to support myself. Chang is certainly NOT A "COMPASSIONATE" DR. He has the WORST bedside manner I have EVER experienced. If "He believes in treating each patient as he would his own family members", then he must treat his family HORRIBLE! Oh yes & they just left me in the room & left & so I was sitting in there for yet Another 15 min before I Finally just got up & went to the front desk to ask, I'm I done??? He needs to perhaps experience a LIfe-long back & neck injury so he can learn some Empathy for people. He is the most APATHETIC, CALLOUS, COLD & UNFEELING Dr I have Ever Met! I walked out of there in tears. Maybe Robert Corbin can give you some lessons in diplomacy...ummmh craftiness.

September 8th, 2016
Happy Patient
Dr. Chang is fantastic. He carefully explained my diagnosis, in plain, easy to understand terms. Dr. Chang described the problem clearly and the proposed solution. After the surgery, he described how it went & confirmed that everything came out as predicted. His follow-up care, and that of his staff, perpetuated the delivery of comprehensive information in easily junker stood terms. I could not have chosen a better surgeon

September 7th, 2016
Dr. Chang, and his entire staff, have earned my complete trust, and admiration. After having a rather extensive cervical surgery, I would, without hesitation, recommend the highly professional services of Dr. Chang to anyone in need of care. Dr. Chang and his entire staff provide timely informative, and compassionate service.,

August 30th, 2016
Severe bilateral leg pain
Leg pain immediately disappeared following surgery. No medical errors. Did not see him more than a few times, but knew he was behind my excellent care. Would recommend him in a second.

July 22nd, 2016
Completely eliminated pain and weakness
Many years of spinal problems up and down my spine. Lumbar area developed Arachnoiditis with constant pain and weakness. I lost count of how many and what kind of injections I received from "Pain Management". Doctor Chang performed surgery and I was back to work (office job) after 3 weeks. Pain level is now 0 and I feel better than I have for decades. Doctor Chang and his staff have given me my life back! I can't thank them enough!

June 28th, 2016
Doctor Chang and his staff are extremely professional and a pleasure to deal with. I am very pleased with everything that transpired with my surgery and how I was taken care of. I give them the highest marks possible.

May 5th, 2016
Wasn't the least bit impressed by this Doctor
I called the office and was not able to speak to anyone to make a appointment. I was directed to leave a message. This was on a Wednesday. The following TUESDAY I received a call back to schedule. They use a PORTAL system and you have to log in, fill out your forms, and print off any paperwork that they need you to bring in. The girl who called me said that she needed to have ME call their IT department because she couldn't get my portal set up. She told me that she could not send me a email because MY EMAIL was open on my phone (I have a IPhone) Well, my appointment came, I had brought my MRI and report so we could go over the results. The nurse came in and asked me some questions. My husband was with me and we both answered them the best we could. The nurse said that the BOSS would be just a few minutes. Dr Chang came in the room. Asked me where on my BUTT I had pain. I said it was my lower back, not my butt. (they give you colored pencils to draw where your pain is. Apparently I did not color in the EXACT spot) Dr Chang said, "I see no compression" no surgery. I asked him what could be causing my falling and pain, he said "We all get old" then UP and OUT he went! That was it, no MRI review with me, no asking me any questions to get a understanding of what has been going on with me, NOTHING! My husband and I looked at eachother and said "What was that?" I chose Dr Chang for several reason but also for his video that said he has compassion for his patients and listens to their concerns to try to find a resolution. He wasn't in my room for 2 full minutes. (And that is NOT a exaggeration) I will NEVER go back to him and will discourage anyone else from having to go through what I just did.

January 18th, 2016
Office visit follow up appt. was very rushed.

January 10th, 2016
Very Poor Bedside manner of both him and his staff
I found Dr Chang to have very poor bedside manner! He was arrogant and gave me a proposal which was totally insane. I saw Dr Porter of Barrow 10 years ago. His bedside manner was ok but he also gave me an insane proposal. My MRI is the same now as it was 5 years ago. and nothing close to what he told me came true then and probably won't know

April 8th, 2015
Trust him!
I would recommend Dr. Steven Chang to my Family. Problem solved!

August 30th, 2013
Dr. Chang saved my life.
This review is pretty straightforward. In 2010 I suffered a severe traumatic brain injury in an accident. Dr. Chang performed a lifesaving craniotomy the night of the accident. Even though it was past midnight before the surgery was complete, he took time to visit with my family to give them an update on my condition and provide hope. In a follow up visit he later called me his miracle patient. He stated “I didn’t tell your family this the night of the accident, but I didn’t think you were going to make it.” Thank you Dr. Chang.