Stuart Beck MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.3

August 25th, 2013
Exceptional Bedside Manner, Soothing Personality, Some Medication & Resident Supervision Concerns
Dr. Beck is an awesome fellow. I felt assured with his energy in the room when my care team seemed to be led by a young (PGY1) resident who cut me off before the end of every sentence. (She and I eventually found our way, and she was a doll.] I was diagnosed as hypomanic. Think of this as the opposite of depression, but not manic or hypermanic. I did learn in outpatient care that the drug dose of a bipolar med was not the bipolar dose, more like the sleeping pill dose. But way too high for me -- 100MG of Seroquel. I was given Neurontin 1200MG split 3x/dy more for its unique work to combat anxiety (which the Resident incorrectly stated I had; but I was cool with it, because I had some tough problems to face], alcohol withdrawal and to alter mood (slightly]. I am on nothing now, and doing great. As long as I do not drink and smoke, my mood is even. I was really dismayed that Psychiatrists would not consider the extreme swings of those who drink and smoke and quit either or both before as much more a reason for mood swings--especially when my friends reported to the docs that I was otherwise even and fine. A hungover patient quitting butts is not a diagnostic statistical sample of even himself. In outpatient treatment, I understand the whole picture and the drug decisions made before my discharge. BUT Neurontin is a drug I would never have let into my body had I read about it online beforehand. I would trust Dr. Beck with my care again. The dose of Neurontin I left taking was very low. And I was able to get off it and Seroquel after reporting the impact they were both having on me. Neurontin alone, which I weaned off of, made me intensely dour and touchy. Glad to be happy and drug free; sober and smoke free. Dr. Beck might consider letting a more self-directed patient speak more in the beginning (after all, words do reveal!). Otherwise, a person like that might buckle and get scared of the care team. After that, a patient as high-functioning as myself should be taken at face when he insists his moods are even (except when complicated by alcohol abuse, hangovers, smoking or quitting smoking. I guess I felt I could have been better listened to. In the end, I was. I was commended for my work in hospital. And hey--I'm really, really thriving like I never could say before I received the care over which Dr. Beck presided.

June 9th, 2012
Incompetence. Better stay home.
Thyroid disease (low T3 hormone and/or Hashimoto's disease) very often present as mental illness.. anxiety, depression, psychosis, bipolar, etc.. Dr. Beck refuses to believe this, even when presented with medical evidence supporting this. Google wikipedia or stopthethyroidmadness.com and see white papers on mental illness/thyroid. Instead, he administers drugs that put patients in a fog or further depress. No thanks to "Dr." Beck, my son is happy, working, normal...now that he is taking one small pill of T3 - thyroid hormone that his body was not making. I feel very sorry for all of the patients at St. Elizabeth's who are never tested or treated, but are prescribed antipsychotic meds instead.

February 28th, 2012
Incompetent. Quack. Steer clear.

February 13th, 2012
Excellent clinician, great bedside manner. Staff and patients have high regard for Dr. Beck.

October 7th, 2011
I talked to Dr. Beck who assured me he was going to treat my daughter and not release her from the hospital for at least another week. She was released the next morning. Did not return my phone call. WOW - thanks for nothing.