Overall Review

3.1

May 12th, 2016
Dr. Bussell Performed Surgery on my Wife Yesterday
While we only interacted with Dr. Bussell in the hospital as opposed to his office thus far, our family could not be more happy with him. He was accessible and available to speak to us when we had questions. That's a huge hurdle with too many doctors, whether due to hectic schedules or not. Dr. Bussell took time to speak to us in a clear, intelligent, concise manner and treated us as if my wife was his only patient (which of course he is one of many). That type of care from a doctor has seemingly gone the way of the dinosaur but for a select few doctors, Dr. Bussell being one of them. His bedside manner could not have been any more calm and confident while instilling that confidence into me, my family and most important my wife who was his patient. He is a respected surgeon but what was perhaps most impressive was how much he's respected by his peers. Nurses, residents, and other doctors would champion Dr. Bussell above other possible surgeons, some without being queried. After the surgery, Dr. Bussell call me immediately on my cell phone to tell me results of surgery. He asked where we were waiting and told us to sit tight, he'd be right there. A few minutes later, he walks in and sits with us for a good 15 minutes to explain everything that happened and field questions from 4 people without a hint of wanting to bolt out of there. He was truly attentive to our needs, as the family of the patient. Unfortunately, we've had quite a few experiences with doctors in recent years and there were a some good experiences and some bad. Dr. Bussell was one of the best. We really couldn't have expected anything better from a surgeon during these past few weeks. Looking forward to continued care with Dr. Bussell and his staff.

March 22nd, 2016
Could not ask for a better doctor
Dr. Bussell is extremely knowledgeable, caring and friendly. He is always in a great mood and takes his time with patients, making sure to address all their concerns. I feel extremely lucky to have him as a doctor.

September 22nd, 2015
Suffered for 10 weeks, His office cancelled 3 appointments on me even though I explained I was in horrendous pain. After practically begging for an appointment, finally got one a week later was told a procedure would be have to be done. Did all the prep work, arrived at the hospital and was told I must've been confused and that another procedure would be done. I wasn't confused at all, I know what was told to me. When asked about the success rate of the procedure he was going to do, he told me there is no data on it. What? He then proceeded to tell me that if it didn't work and I was still in pain he could squeeze me in for the surgery in two days. This was just amazing to me. Since I had already missed a lot of time at work decided to go with the (no data procedure) and ended up being in more pain then when I started. Tried calling and was told I would get a call back, the call came a day later and was told to call the office to get an appointment the next day which i did. Received a call from the office telling me he had to cancel my appointment but would call me that evening, that evening call never came. He called me noon the next day and said he could squeeze me in for a 5 minute appointment. This had to be a joke. It wasn't. A total lack of caring about my issues, FYI - Although the front desk girls were courteous, the nursing staff was rude and uncaring as well. Decided to see another Doctor who I saw 2 days later, he recommended the surgery that I should've had 4 weeks ago. Had the surgery the following Tuesday and happy to say I am on the road to recovery with only minor pain. Probably a blessing in disguise that Dr Bussell didn't do the surgery, lord only knows what would've happened to me. Would not recommend him to anyone. Very bad experience.

September 3rd, 2015
I think Stuart is a good guy and means well. I do not think he handled my situation well. Knowing I am on blood thinners he injected me to relieve my internal hemmorhoids. It basically started an epic bleeding problem that still has not stopped after five days!

January 30th, 2015
Dr.Bussell is the man! He has never been nasty, disrespectful, or acted arrogant towards me. He has always treated me with the utmost respect. Anyone talking smack, well.. he probably sensed just how frigan irritating you were because I get that impression just from reading your annoying complaints. It's called a comment section people, not complaint.

January 29th, 2015
Exceeded my expectations
Dr. Bussell clearly has an excellent reputation for his surgical skills. Sadly, the reviews provided do not express the same sentiment for his bedside manner. I feel compelled to balance these views based on my experience to date with Dr. Bussell. He showed great kindness while discussing surgical options. His expertise, intelligence and extraordinary skill showed through as he spent significant quality time with me. He showed great respect to me as a senior and ensured that I was clear about my diagnosis, next steps, risks and what to expect from surgery through recovery. I never had the feeling that I was rushed, unimportant or just another case. Dr. Bussell took the time and interest to balance my lifestyle, background and overall health to provide a thoughtful, reasonable course of treatment. I walked out of the office feeling very confident in his ability to eradicate the cancer and allow me to have a high quality of living post-operation. I am motivated to have the surgery in the rear view mirror and keep moving toward 100 healthy years! Thank you, Dr. Bussell. You have my trust and gratitude.

December 17th, 2014
I met Dr. Bussell in Danbury Hosp and was very put off w/his matter-of-fact behavior toward my medical problem. He has a terrible bedside manner, cold and distant. I am told he is a good surgeon, but I would rather have a surgeon who will not only do his job well, but will also care about my quality of life after the surgery. Dr. Bussell, w/his God-like attitude, could care less about that.

April 27th, 2014
A Tribute to Dr. Bussell
Having just discovered this opportunity to do so, I write here to pay tribute to Dr. Stuart Bussell. Based on my experience as his patient for the past year and a half, I would recommend Dr. Bussell without reservation as an excellent physician. He is outstanding in his intellectual command of his specialty, and in the clarity and ease with which he communicates his knowledge to patients, in his dedication to the practice of medicine and his very apparent love for his work, and in the courtesy, care and attention he generously provides his patients. I have found Dr. Bussell to be a credit to the practice of medicine by every professional measure I know, both as a patient many times over during my long life, and also as a sociologist who has worked as a research assistant in the study of hospital administration; in my graduate school studies culminating in my doctoral dissertation, "The Ethical Ideal of the Professions: A Sociological Analysis of the Academic and Medical Professions";and as a published writer of essays, among them "On the Uses of the Imagination" in my book REDEEMING THE SIN: SOCIAL SCIENCE AND LITERATURE. I have found that the source of criticism and complaints by some may be traced to their unrealistic expectations of the extent of their physicians' power to cure and heal the conditions and afflictions patients bring to them. And I am perplexed and appalled by the injustice and ill will some express for all the world to read of one of the finest physicians one could hope to have as a health care provider. The heart of the relationship between doctor and patient is founded on mutual trust that each of the two parties leaves all biases and prejudices at the door and acts in good faith, with integrity, respect, honesty and fairness toward the other, whatever contingencies and outcomes there may be. Of his many gifts, I most particularly admire Dr. Bussell's humanity--it has a reassuring and curative power all its own. I feel fortunate, indeed privileged, to be his patient.

April 3rd, 2014
Will NEVER recommend this doctor!
My 17 year old daughter was diagnosed on a Saturday with a cyst on her tailbone that needed to be lanced. We were referred to Dr. Brussell. After a weekend in great pain and discomfort, I called at 9AM on Monday and received a 12PM visit for my daugher. In the office, Dr. Brussell was brisk, uncaring and I felt any question we had was a waste of his time. He expected my daughter to return to school and start up softball the next day even though she was in pain, discharing a lot from the site and could not sit. I kept her home Tuesday. Around 12:30AM Wednesday, she awoke with severe itching and a burning at the area. After trying Tylenol (recommended the day of surgery) I called the answering service at 1:30AM. Dr. Brussell called me within minutes. I apologized for waking him and he replied, "You did!". I explained why I was calling. When he told me to either got to ER now or call the Nurse Practitioner in the morning, I asked what he would recommend. He proceeded to tell me he had a major surgery in the morning and I was taking time from that patient. He also said I had a 17 year old teenager who was being dramatic. She was a minor surgery he said. I could not believe my ears. After telling me once again where I could take her, he hung up on me. Everything he said to me was in a nasty tone. I have NEVER called an answering service for any of my children so I was very taken aback. I complained to his office the next morning. They made my daughter an appointment that afternoon with the APRN. Other than dealing with Dr. Brussell, the staff at his office is wonderful. The Office Manager Pam C., Receptionist, Nurse Christine and especially APRN P. Palmer were the best both times we went. They found us a great surgeon at another practice to follow up on the surgery my daughter will need down the line. Too bad one doctor can ruin a great office!

February 6th, 2014
Very rude!
Desperate for help for my elderly mom I drove 2 hours in a snowstorm to keep our appointment with Dr Bussell. We waited 4 weeks to see him and when I called the morning if the storm I was told we'd have to wait another 4 weeks to be seen if we cancelled. Desperate for help, we ventured out in the storm to keep our appointment. Thankfully, we arrived safely and early. We were kept waiting about 20 mins past our appointment time. We saw the a very pleasant PA first, then the doctor. He reviewed moms records and did an exam. He left the room twice during our appointment (for about ten minutes or so each time) then came in briefly to explain what he saw and about a procedure he recommended. When we asked him questions about the procedure which we had never heard of, he handed us a paper and said he was running late and had other patients waiting. That was rude! We were flabbergasted! We headed back home in the storm. We quickly decided he was not the guy for us and will not be getting our "business." Very disappointed in his attitude.

December 26th, 2013
Very rude and uncaring to current state of pain and condition I was in. Very late to appointment and disrespectful. Would not recommend him to anyone as a surgeon,

October 18th, 2013
Not Satisfied with service
I would not refer anyone to Dr. Bussell. He was not sensitive to my problem. My experience was not positive and I will write a complaint against him.