Oncology Specialist (cancer), Obstetrician & Gynecologist (OB/GYN)

Adventist Hinsdale Hospital
121 N Elm St
Ste 1
Hinsdale, IL 60521
630-856-6757
Locations and availability (3)

3.0

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
 |  About as good as a jail exam.  |  show details
by Allison on Jun 29th, 2014

Dr. Sharma was AWFUL. I do not have insurance, and he was very demeaning. He didn't even take a urine sample. I will say that the nurses were very kind, but he was cruel and unkind. I will never go back to him. Run for the hills, ladies!!! He did not care one bit about anything except for the fact that I am unemployed at the moment. Nightmare. Never asked about my pain [even though I have massive swelling on my ovaries, and it's OBVIOUS that there is a problem.] $150 to get a pap smear, no testing, urine samples, anything, and a lecture on why I should get a job. No thank you! 0 out of 5 stars!!! Unfortunately I had to use one because it was required. But I wouldn't even give him that. He is terrible. He might be smart, but he is a really cold, callous doctor. No.

|  Bad MD  |  show details
Nov 7th, 2013

This physician, and I use the term loosely, is one of the most pompous men I have met. Did not introduce himself. Performed a physically rough medical exam, had no empathy, and no bed side manner. The nurses at the community hospital ER told me to run for my life to the nearest academic facility...Loyola or northwestern. The man has no respect in the medical community. I am so glad I was forewarned. Received excellent treatment from Drs. Lurain and Strauss at Northwestern.

|  Please get a second opinion  |  show details
by LB on Jun 29th, 2013

My husband and I were scared to death after seeing Dr. Sharma. Dr. Sharma wanted to perform radical surgery including removing the labia. I cant thank my supportive husband and primary doctor enough for making me get a second opinion. Turns out only minor surgery is required and I get to keep the parts that I would have missed. The manager/receptionist (you will know who I mean) is nuts and really irritating!

|  Extremely poor customer service.  |  show details
by Susan Lugai on Feb 16th, 2013

Friday morning February 11th, 2013, I arrived early to Dr. Sharma's clinic that was set for 9:15 am. This exam, was suppose to be my first with Dr. sharma. I searched the enternet under oncology and found him. Upon meeting the front desk older woman receptionist. She asked me for my insurance card. I placed on the counter my insurance paper. She abruptly and meanly spoke, the Dr. does not accept that. I strongly voiced I down loaded what insurance he takes it's on the list!. She rudely answered back he has not accepted that in 10 years!!. Dr. Sharma was standing at the counter watching all this patient abuse carry on. I made her give back the forms the register over the phone attendent sent me so they could not sell my information. I complained to the Hinsdale Hospital. I have not heard from them yet!. I gave up Loyola because of the horrble practice bed side manner Dr. Ronald Potkul gave to me when he was a stand in. Dr. Sharma's office acted unethical.

|  Keep looking. There are better doctors for your total care  |  show details
Apr 26th, 2012

Last of the old breed of doctors who believe that they are directly related to God and that patients are to be seen but not heard. Tries to push everyone into trials whether they are in your best interest or not. Refuses to release records. Can't remember what treatment plan you're on. The chemo are looks like it was put together from a series of garage sales. I transfered to a brilliant, compasionate, caring woman doctor who is a 180 from Dr Sharma. If you think you deserve the best, you won't find it here.

|  ROBOTIC PROCEDURE  |  show details
Mar 19th, 2012

ALMOST 1 YEAR AGO I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH UTERUS CANCER. I WAS REFERRED TO DR.SHARMA,HE EXPLAINED EVERYTHING TO ME I WAS SCARED AND VERY NERVOUS ABOUT THE SURGERY.I HAD SURGERY ON A FRIDAY MORNING AND SATURDAY AT 6 PM I WENT HOME I HAD NO PAIN.TOOK IT EASY FOR 6 WEEKS. HAD A GREAT RECOVERY.I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND DR.SHARMA TO ANYONE WHO NEEDS SURGERY.

|  Arrogant and dismissive  |  show details
Nov 22nd, 2011

I went to him upon suggestion from my gynecologist, and only because he was suggested and was at the local hospital. However, with my type of cancer, I already had determined I would get a second opinion at the University of Chicago (another suggestion from a friend who is a research oncologist and did his residency at Northwestern and worked w/U of Chicago). When I saw Dr Sharma, he refused to answer my questions about my pathology report, even snapping my file shut to punctuate his point. He insisted he had to examine me first. However, I had already been diagnosed and undergone a D and C the week prior by my gynecologist. There was nothing to see, but a uterine cancer diagnosis that he refused to clarify unless he physically looked at me (as if there was anything at all he could have determined). The man was the least respectful doctor I've worked with. I chose to leave rather than have to fight to get my own pathology report. I strongly dissuade women from seeing this doctor, if you value open communication, respect, and cooperative teaming when you have to fight cancer.

|  Dr. Sharma's Skillful Surgery saved my life!  |  show details
Jun 3rd, 2011

In 1988 Dr. Sharma's tumor debulking surgery saved my life. I was diagnosed with stage III-C Ovarian Cancer, and only 18 years old.I was given radiation therapy and never recurred in 23 years. I will never forget him, though I haven't spoken to him for many years!He was gentle, kind, direct, and patient, and could make me laugh. He would shake his head at my rebellious ways, and would be pleased to know, I did finally graduate college....at age 35!Bonnie "Tocwish"I hope he knows I am doing well! :)Bonnie T.

|  Dr. Sharma & Staff are great  |  show details
by Mary V., Joliet IL on Apr 9th, 2011

I had a radical hysterectomy in Oct.2010 performed by Dr. Sharma, followed by radiation and chemo.I feel very confident in the knowledge and abilities of this doctor and his staff. I also feel like they care about me as a person.

|  show details
Sep 28th, 2010

I wouldn't be here without Dr. Sharma and his wonderful staff. It's as simple as that. They got me and my family thru my darkest days.

|  He saved my life  |  show details
by Liza C on Aug 18th, 2009

I was diagnosed with a fairly large ovarian cyst in 2007. Dr. Sharma was my surgeon for 3 successive surgeries that year. He was direct, knowlewdgeable and caring in his approach. The nurses all spoke very highly of him as well. I remember asking him if I was going to die prior to the surgery. His response was: "Are you going to be able to live without this surgery?" I would never have made it through that experience without him. I highly recommend him with no hesitation.

|  his staff  |  show details
Nov 26th, 2008

His staff (1 in particular) is maddening.

|  Knowledgeable, reliable, thorough  |  show details
Nov 4th, 2008

I went to Dr. Sharma based on a recommendation. I was having a complete hysterectomy based on my family's history with breast, ovarian, and uterine cancer. I am 40 yrs old and had many concerns about jumping into forced, early menopause. I found Dr. Sharma to be objective, honest, and helpful as I explored my alternatives.