Dr. Sumi Sexton MD Patient Reviews

• Family Medicine Arlington, VA

November 6th, 2016
Failure To Diagnose
Dr. Sumi Sexton missed a diagnosis which nearly cost me life. For nearly 3 years I saw her with a variety of symptoms for which she had no explanation. These symptoms worsened over time. I later looked at 10 different medical websites (such as The Mayo Clinic) which all listed my symptoms as indicating the type of tumor I had. The tumor had grown so large that the surgeon was surprised I was still alive and functional and he told my children I would likely die. Fortunately I didn’t! Dr. Sexton failed to diagnose my tumor and failed to refer me to someone who might.
Doctor's Response

My name is Teri Culp, Customer Experience Manager at Privia Medical Group. I would be happy to discuss this matter further with you. Please contact me at (800) 976-1442, Monday to Friday, between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Eastern Time.

December 10th, 2015
Do not recommend; testing & reatment refused for genetic risk factors related to cancer
Dr. Sumi Sexton refused to treat genetic risk factors regarding a family history of cancer. Additionally, she refused treatment for medically necessary diagnostic tests including catscans and MRIs. She has refused treatment a total of 3 times for risk factors whereby I eventually admitted to Inova Alexandria Hospital Emergency Room for non-viral/non-bacterial vomiting and chronic stomach pain. I would not recommend treatment by this physician.

February 11th, 2014
Great doctor!
Dr. Sexton is the doctor for our entire family. She has been great with me, my husband, and our two young children. I've been going to her for at least seven years with no complaints. She is knowledgeable and up-to-date on current medicine and is always kind and friendly during visits. She takes time to listen to and answer our questions. She seems to have a good reputation among other doctors too, when I mention that Dr. Sexton is my primary care physician. I also heard her as a guest on the Diane Rehm show one day and was really impressed with her opinions -- she really is a fantastic doctor! The nurses and office staff are always helpful and courteous. The policy at the office is to schedule physicals way ahead of time so that there are more last-minute appointments available, which is great. I have always been able to get an appointment with either Dr. Sexton or one of the other doctors (or the Physician's Assistant) within a day of my call. I have seen almost all of the other doctors and the PA with no complaints. There are medical students there sometimes too, who visit prior to having the doctor see you, if you're okay with that. I'm always okay with that because med students are really thorough, and you still get to see the doctor afterwards, so it's like getting two doctors in one visit. Also, there's a lab on-site, which totally beats making a trip to some commercial lab for routine bloodwork. In short, I totally recommend Dr. Sexton and her practice. This is an exceptional doctor.

October 26th, 2011
Blase attitude led to blood clot
When nothing else helped with my acne she prescribed me birth control pills which I'd never been on before. The pills gave me massive migraines and she told me to "stick with it" as my body got used to the hormones. I asked her if I should switch pills and she said it would not make much of a difference. This led to a blood clot (DVT) when I was no longer under her care. Newer studies show the hormone she put me on had 6x greater risk of clotting. She was uninformed and too liberal in my care, didn't listen to my concerns, and ultimately this led to a very dangerous situation given the drug she put me on.