Dr. Susan Bonar MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

July 3rd, 2016
Stay clear
This Dr. Has destroyed my life. Now I have to go to a real Orthopaedic Surgeon. And have heard nothing but horror stories since spmy surgery. Wish I had gone to KU. By the way the surgicenter she uses...she's o owner.

September 8th, 2015
Run for your life
Well now that I know Dr. Bonar graduated in the top 5% of her class it makes my 24/7 days a week of pain feel so much better. This doctor does not look at the MRI's she requested because if she did she would have realized mine was blank, not her fault EIP's fault, but she could have told me. The surgery I signed for her to do was included in the other surgery that she did that I never signed for, she NEVER even told me she did it at the next 5 appointments I had to find out 7 months later when I ordered the surgical records. The pain I have now feels like she left some barb wire inside of my ankle, come to think of it maybe I should have another MRI to see if there are some parts left in there, OH I already have had 2 more MRI's since the surgery. Run as fast as you can, get 2 or 3 more opinions and maybe you will be able to walk unlike me without a big boot 3 years after surgery.

January 26th, 2015
Very Pleased Thus Far
During my recent consultation with Dr. Bonar, I was deeply impressed with her intellect, presence, and thoughtful and thorough approach. Despite having graduated in the top five percent of her class at Yale Medical School (!!), Dr. Bonar was uncommonly grounded, gracious, and generous among physicians--not to mention surgeons. As a psychotherapist, I greatly appreciated Dr. Bonar's stance of asking probing questions, then listening attentively to my answers. In fact, I have rarely felt so heard and attended to within the medical community! Women employed in male-dominated professions face myriad additional hurdles, leading some to become (understandably) hardened. Not so Dr. Bonar, whose genuine empathy and compassion were palpable! I likewise resonated with Dr. Bonar's prudent, commonsense medical approach, in considering alternatives to surgery as a first resort. My situation is complex, as I appear to have diffuse nerve damage within my foot. I thus am beginning physical therapy via Dr. Bonar's referral, while simultaneously interviewing several other foot surgeons--a choice that Dr. Bonar wholly respected! While I have not yet made a final treatment decision, I feel an unusual sense of trust in Dr. Bonar's expertise. Dr. Bonar's office staff (radiologist technician Shannon and office manager Johnia) also were most caring and competent at their respective positions. In brief, while Dr. Bonar's office runs like a proverbial well-oiled machine, their treatment of me was anything but mechanical.

February 16th, 2014
I saw 3 other doctors before seeing Dr. Bonar. I had 2 prior surgeries and my foot was worse, could not wear sandals or stand for more than 30 minutes without severe pain. Re-do surgery was recommended. I am now able to get through the day and enjoy it. Many thanks to Dr. Bonar. I was recommended by a co-worker who said she was great.

November 3rd, 2013
Excellent Service, Awesome Results
I had an issue with my Shoulder. Dr. Bonar and team were all over it. They got me in very quickly, and solved the problem immediately. I have not had any issues with it since. She has a great bedside manner, courteous staff, and above all gets things done. I highly recommend her.

October 29th, 2013
HIghly Recommend Dr. Bonar
In years past, I would ski, run and bicycle. 5 years ago I was experiencing pain in my right foot. My primary care physician sent me to Dr. Susan Bonar and she found I had severe arthritis. She fused the bones in my foot; and for awhile, I was fine. I then begin experiencing arthritic pain in my right ankle. After prescribing an orthotic (which worked for short time) Dr. Bonar suggested I have a total ankle joint replacement. This surgery terrified me. For about four years I endured the pain until I could barely walk. I then decided to have this surgery. I will never ski, or run or bicycle again, but shortly after the cast was removed, I was walking, pain free and without the use of an orthotic or cane. I am so grateful to Dr. Bonar for her skill and talent. I highly recommend her.

April 30th, 2013
Excellent surgeon
She performed an ORIF to repair my fractured and dislocated ankle. She had me up and walking in a relatively short period of time compared to what I was told by another surgeon in the ER. Mine is a Workmans Comp case and she never treated me any differently because of it. Here's the deal: she is extremely busy and won't remember your case from visit to visit, she is extremely experienced and will know if you are following directions or not, she is NOT a pharmacy dispenser. I have had no trouble getting the pain meds I have needed from her, but she will not keep writing scripts to make you dependent on more and more pills. Sometimes you just have to suck it up and be uncomfortable. I like her and would recommend her to anyone in the area. If you are looking for someone to enable and coddle you then I suggest going elsewhere.

May 25th, 2012
I had my surgery several years ago. I can say that I have been in pain with my foot every day since that surgery. I would not recommend anyone to her for any type of services. Every day I wish that I had done more research on this doctor.

March 31st, 2012
Relief
After 9 months of pain Dr. Bonar has me almost pain free in 6 weeks. I went to 4 other doctors and had 3 boot casts, Mri, xrays,shots, tens unit,steroids,orthodics, heel cups and horrible relentless pain with every step I took.

February 9th, 2012
no help ver little concern
While condition continued to worsen doctor did not do much of anything to treat condition or help me understand it

June 13th, 2011
Excellent
Dr. Bonar and her staff were professional and prompt. I had a short wait while filled out my paperwork, which is pretty typical. Once I was called back, I immediately had x-rays taken then a short wait for Dr. Bonar. Dr. Bonar took the time to ask questions and examine my feet. She asked if I had any questions and answered them. She took the time to discuss my problem and offer a number of different options. Even though she is a surgeon she offered nonsurgical remedies. I had been having foot pain for sometime and was diagnosed with plantar facsiitis and prescribed splints to wear at night. I was able to get the splints right there. Dr. Bonar was right on with her diagnosis, just a couple of nights with the splints relieved my pain. Dr. Bonar said this would happen but added that I should continue wearing the splints to permanently take care of the pain.

May 25th, 2011
Thankful
Thank goodness. I have had pain in my foot for 3 years and finally I found help. I like to work out to keep my weight down, but I had to stop two months ago. Now, after trying different shoes and inlays, finally, I am able to walk regularly due to simple recommendation of taping my toes together. I like the straight forward approach. Great suggestions, highly recommended.