Dr. Susan Hunter-Joerns MD Patient Reviews

• 3 reviews

September 1st, 2015
Amazing woman, she'll give you the care you need and the extra thought and interest you deserve.
This physician is wonderful! She is, however, the only neurologist in a 600mi radius so new patient appointments do require a referral from a local primary care physician. If you're new to town, you'll need to set up with a primary care doc first, and then have them refer you. This was slightly frustrating to me as I'd come prepared with a referral by my former neurologist, BUT THE GOOD THING is that her staff still worked to squeeze me in so I didn't run out of meds. Given the area she covers, it's totally understandable - and IMO commendable - that she requires her patients to be set up in town first so she can ensure her patients are always taken care of no matter what. She listened very carefully to me, was thoughtful, and very helpful in explaining things, as well as offering alternatives when I wanted them. I've got MS (and migraines) so I've seen neurologists for years. Dr Susan Hunter Joerns stands out as one of the best! I'm very thankful to have her as my doc.

June 17th, 2010
Hard to reach
Dr. Hunter-Joerns is a great person and is very caring, but the difficultly in actually getting to speak with someone and receive a call back is frustrating. Also, she does not bill insurance and sometimes the cost of a visit is $120-$200 or more. This can be a financial hardship at times.
Doctor's Response

Thank you for your kind words, we are working hard to improve and streamline our known deficiencies. You've touched on two of them: Insurance and call backs. I'm pleased to let you know that Dr. Hunter-Joerns now bills all of the major insurance compaines. And we continue to try and find a better balence between the size of the office and the demand for her servics. Which will eventually resolve any current call back issues.

May 27th, 2010
Doesn't answer phone or return calls
I can only speak to the apparent impossibility of actually getting an appointment with this doctor. I've been calling all week and only get a recording. I leave a message and no one calls back.
Doctor's Response

We're sorry that you had a tough time getting through to us. Being a very small operation and because Dr. Hunter-Joerns is the only neurologist in SE-AK sometimes call backs can suffer. Dr. Hunter-Joerns has always only seen patients on a referral basis, again because she is the only neurologist for 500 miles we can't just open the doors wide open.