Dr. Susan Mandel Is this you?

Have you seen Dr. Susan Mandel?

COPD

COPD

Have you seen Dr. Susan Mandel?

• Good
  • Bad
  • Good
  • Bad

March 20th, 2015

impossible, over-important and she's what's wrong with medicine

Far too busy, trivializes your issue regardless of how significant it is to you (and your health). She's much more interested in being published within the medical literature than she is in providing meaningful care to patients. Not only would I not recommend her, I would strongly advise that you seek care at another institution as she (at least during my period of short care) was in charge of the dept.

September 24th, 2014

Stay away!

She is horrible. She does not spend time with her patients. I have to see her nurse practitioner every six months!

December 2nd, 2013

Amazing experience, Dr Mandel was very knowledgeable, sweet , i had the opportunity to meet her twice and on the second visit I had a thyroid biopsy by her which was painless , Next day she called me personally to give me my negative result, thanks once again dr mandel :)

October 18th, 2012

She's Incredible!

Dr Mandel knew my case inside and out when I went in for my appointment regarding follow up for thyroid cancer. She gave me invaluable information that I have been wanting to hear since the first day I was diagnosed. I wish I had seen her sooner! She's caring and had answers to all of my questions before I even thought to ask. There's a reason she a leader in this field and helps write the ATA guidelines for thyca. Now I see why! I feel 110% confident in my care going forward. She has given me peace of mind.

October 16th, 2012

I was very disappointed with my interactions with Dr. Mandel. She seemed almost hostile at times. This is certainly not what I would expect from any doctor, but especially not one who deals with cancer patients.

September 19th, 2012

The best!

October 24th, 2011

Fast but careful, skillful doc

It's rare to find a doc with such divergent reviews! My first appointment Dr Mandel was quick, tho not rude. Definitely focused on what had to be done - and yes, I would have liked to discuss more. But every appointment since has been good. She is fast & overworked, but answers any questions. Anyway, when someone is sticking a needle in your throat looking for cancer that other docs might not find, or have already missed, leisurely charm is less important than skill - and she is very skilled. She also gives whatever time necessary to considering test results and what's best for the patient. At less rushed times she's friendly, funny & clearly cares. Also, having dealt with too many doc's offices, I've been impressed with her nurse and main scheduling person, who are helpful and return calls in reasonable time. Also, every test result is followed up with either a letter or call from Dr Mandel, and any information for referrals gets sent well ahead of time. So, my experience has been:organized office & fast - but smart & caring doc.

September 10th, 2011

would not give me an appointment

This doctor was recommended by my primary when he discovered thyroid nodules. I was never given an office visit. She did a biopsy, called and told me it was probably cancer, and sent me to a surgeon. I had a lot of questions and still do, but she refused to see me until after the surgery. So the bottom line is I am scheduled for surgery but still have not met with an endocrinologist face to face. I tried asking questions on the phone with her but she was unwilling to even try to answer any of them. She was very sweet during the biopsy, but rushed out afterward and again, I was unable to get just a minute of her time to ask any questions. Very frustrating.

April 30th, 2010

most unprofessional doctor ever met

January 6th, 2010

Careful where it counts most

My experience with Dr Mandel is that she's focused, honest & direct. In conversation she can be can be friendly, or brusque (I mention this because of the review that complained about that), but she is unrushed & seriously caring in her attention to saving your life. She not only did a very thorough ultrasound & biopsy, but spent extra time going over he results later & even called me back for another view to make absolutely certain about a detail before my surgery. That's extraordinary. She's good about following up on test results, and answering questions. Yes, she's in charge, knows what she thinks is important - or not. She also seems to go strictly by blood tests. Because of that, I do read and talk with others about fine-tuning some of my hypo symptoms that don't line up with the tests, or about nutrition & less orthodox approaches. If it was just a matter of dealing with hypothyroidism, I'd rather someone more eclectic and easy to discuss options with - but for keeping me free from thyroid cancer, I know I'm lucky to be able to see her.

April 22nd, 2009

A Life saver

Dr. Mandel was my second opinion for me after my first surgery. She found more nodules (cancer) in my lymph nodes through an ultra sound and Fine needle biopsy and I had two more surgeries to remove them. I have been doing well for 7 years now. I like to thank her for all her hard work and efforts in caring about my life.

March 23rd, 2009

Dr. Mandel may be the best and the brightest but she is also witch. She was so abrasive and rushed and condescending that I will never go back. Every doctor that I have told about my experience has tried to make excuses and explain that she is extremely overworked. The reality is: if she is so overworked that she doesn't have the time to be polite, do her a favor: free up some time in her schedule - don't make an appointment.