Dr. Susan Ramirez MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

May 13th, 2016
surprisingly good
I only saw her to get released for surgery and even though she never saw me before my surgery was very urgent and after 20 minutes of talking to me and looking through my records to release me to have a hysterectomy that I needed badly and I was very grateful to her because most doctors wouldn't even see me if they didn't know me in the past

March 4th, 2016
Hood nurses, have to leave voicemail and wait for them to call you.

April 24th, 2014
i took my bay to this facility, and i took my 5 yr old there and some medical assistants had poor hand washing skills. my baby and son both got a huge lump every time vaccines were givin. my son could barely walk from one of his vaccines. whenever you want to speak to the doctor..you can only speak with the ma's..unless u have an appointment. u call and leave messages..and they sometimes dont even call back for hours. sometimes you had to wait for longer then 15 minutes in the rooms.

August 31st, 2013
unfair negative reviews
I find it absolutely incredible (not in a good way) the negative remarks and comments about Dr. Ramirez. To the person saying she is not competent, not that you'd understand this, but she is double-board certified in internal medicine and pediatrics, as I have seen the credentials in her office. Further, any issues that you may have with the staff, including the rudeness or incompetence, should not be made as a review of her, but rather the clinic. Lastly, she is one of the most in-demand physicians in that office because she has the credentials to see almost every type of patient and also speaks Spanish. Yes, it is difficult to contact her. Yes, you may not be able to get in the next day. Yes, she may have trouble returning phone calls. You'd have trouble too, if you saw 35 patients a day. And her phone calls are screened by the staff- it's not like the office phone number is her cell phone. I have tremendous admiration and respect for her; she is talented and her many return patients, such as myself, know what a great physician she is. To the individual who was complaining about the birth control- while the nurses aren't the sharpest knives in the block, they HAVE to ask those questions because they don't want to be responsible for giving you birth control if there is a possibility you might be pregnant. Also, about 6 months ago, they became part of Fransiscan Alliance (sp?) - it was all over the Hammond Times- and they cannot give prescriptions for birth control as they used to. I know that doesn't make sense, but it's true. Also, you would have seen if you had refills on your prescription package- there's no reason to waste a doctor's time for that type of question (at the very least if you had to talk to someone, you should have called the pharmacy). To the parent who complained about her snarky remark about petroleum jelly on the circumcision- if you had other children then you would have known that you need to continue pet. jelly use. Also, if you would have just listened to what she said, you wouldn't have had to ask. Patients have no idea what kind of stress these people are under, and your questions even after being told what to do are what frustrate them so much! Just listen, people, listen!

August 19th, 2013
Frustrating Experience - will never return!
I went to Dr. Ramirez after my mother had seen her and referred her to me. I was getting married in two months and had wanted to get my birth control in order. I had a pleasant experience in the waiting room. However, once I got in the room I was frustrated. My mother had come with as moral support. As I expected, a nurse came in to check the basics and ask why I had scheduled this appointment. I informed her I wanted to start birth control because I was getting married, and also I was worried about getting my period on my wedding. Besides the obvious inconvenience of it, my periods are extremely painful, and I didn't want to be so miserable on my wedding. The nurse left, then came back a few minutes later and asked if I was sexually active. I was unsure of the relevance but answered no any way. 10 minutes later another nurse came in and asked me the same questions (made me feel really uncomfortable when they asked repeatedly if I was sexually active. I'm sorry they were so surprised that people still wait for marriage to be sexually active). She told me she didn't understand why I needed birth control if I wasn't sexually active, and that birth control doesn't stop periods. I told her I was aware of all this, but I also wasn't in the mood to explain my life story and reasoning for getting birth control. I wanted to discuss it with the doctor, not a bunch of nurses. So this nurse left dazed and confused, and kind of left me hanging. Finally Dr. Ramirez came in and solved my problem almost immediately. She gave me a prescription that I would take to start my period early, so that I could basically re-cycle my time of the month so it wouldn't coincide with the wedding. And then she prescribed a low hormone birth control. After such a simple visit with the actual doctor, I left annoyed with the nurses, but happy with the result. Dr. Ramirez is difficult to get appointments, even as a returning patient. Four days before my wedding, I caught a very bad case of the GI flu and needed to see a doctor ASAP. She had no availability and the office basically offered no help despite my desperate situation. I ended up seeing another doctor. Finally, she is AWFUL with returning phone calls. I had one question about my medication when she first prescribed it. She never returned my message. Another time I wanted to know if my low hormone birth control came in a generic form so I didn't have to pay so much each month for my prescription. She never returned my call then either. Recently I called regarding a question about my birth control refill. (I wasn't sure if I needed an appointment to get a refill). I finally called them back 11 days later. They placed me on hold for 20 minutes, when another one of her annoying nurses answered. I was peeved she couldn't take the time to answer a simple question. The nurse informed me (after I had to tell my story all over again) that I needed to see Dr. Ramirez for a refill. I asked to schedule one right then (I'm now pressed for time before my prescription runs out thanks to them). She put me on hold, then came back saying I couldn't see Dr. Ramirez, but needed to see an OB-GYN instead. She said she could transfer me, but I politely told her no thanks. It took all my self control not to scream at her and tell her off. There is NO WAY I'm returning to Dr. Ramirez or anyone else associated with Medical Specialists in Dyer.

April 17th, 2013
Poor Excuse for a Dr
Dr Ramirez is a horrible Dr. She could not even read my blood results. She told me all my blood counts were fine, when in all actuality they showed I was dangerously low. I ended up in the hospital with 3 blood transfusions 2 days after she told me I was fine. I then had the hospital look at the same test resutls she had, and they showed I was dangerously low and needed a transfusion then, and she said nothing. SHe insulted my religious beliefs....I felt mocked and made fun of. She is a very rude person and not a competent Doctor at all.

November 2nd, 2012
Competent and Caring
Dr Ramirez is a very competent doctor. She listens carefully and examines thoroughly then determines a comprehensive diagnosis and treatment. The office staff is courteous and accurate. The medical staff is also courteous and thorough. Great Doctor.

June 6th, 2012
Gives up on her patients.
If you are looking for a doctor to give you some pills for a cold or flu then Dr. Ramirez is a good doctor. For any other type of ailment, she is absolutely terrible. She listens to her patients but does not "hear" them. Her treatments consist of trying one drug at one dosage. If that doesn't work, she gives up on them and sends them on their way to a specialist, even if the situation doesn't warrant specialized care. She never follows up to see how a patient is doing. I speak from experience that she is very rude and had the diagnostic capabilities of a 1st year med student. Do not trust this woman with your healthcare. Terrible doctor

May 5th, 2010
Overall she is a nice doctor. However, sometimes I feel as if she's rushing thru our visit. She is always talking over me as I'm trying to talk to her and hardly lets me speak. When she's explaining things (like what the baby should be eating or doing develepmentally) and I tell her that I know this already since I have an older child as well, she just disregards it and continues to explain. She seems to know what she's talking about but she can be frustrating at times.

June 5th, 2009
A Frustrating Experience
My young son had five appointments with Dr. Ramirez, and I almost always left feeling frustrated and confused. While Dr. Ramirez could be very friendly and encouraging, there were at least two times when I must have caught her on a bad day as she was rather condescending. (i.e. I asked whether we could discontinue use of petroleum jelly on my son's circumcision site since he was nearly a month old, and she replied, "Well, if you want him to have an adhesion, sure, go ahead.") She emphasized over and over that she is a good listener, but she seemed only to listen to the first half of any question or comment I had and assume that she knew what I was talking about, interrupting me and generally giving advice that didn't fit my actual concern. She also tended to give very brief explanations and to confuse me with her advice. (Quote: "No, that's nothing to worry about--but I think you should get a CT scan done.")After several months of frustration, I learned from area nurses (both in and out of the hospital's neonatal unit) that Dr. Ramirez has no children of her own and has a reputation for being a rather poor listener. I have since switched doctors, and we are much happier.