Overall Review

August 11th, 2016
Good doctors don't grow on trees
Due to office visit wait time, my current work situation, and geographical distance from my previous primary doctor, I switched to Dr. Smolen. I am a relatively new patient (about 4 visits) and I have been very impressed with Dr. Smolen. I have a complex medical history. Dr. Smolen is highly intelligent and has 'guided' me towards believing my doctor's advice more and has worked diligently to answer all of my questions. I trust her and admire her and hope I have found a permanent primary doctor!

February 29th, 2016
Fraudulent Practices
Dr. Smolen conducted my annual physical. Was on period that day so Dr. Smolen initiated the physical, waited to the end to inform me that because I was on my period ""I had to come back to complete the physical" with a pap smear..and charged me an office visit - despite the fact the the physical and tests are 100% covered by the ins company. Dr. Smolen nor her staff ever informed me that if I were on my period to call to reschedueld the appointment to avoid the additional costs (unlike thier practice to advise patients to fast before giving blood). When I objected Dr. Smolen responded with flimsy excuese including that she can't be responsible for understaning every ins. contract - which is very weak considering that it's federal law to have annual physicals covered 100%. By failing to properly advise that the phyical couldn't be done completely if I'm on my period, she segmented the phyical to gain an extra fee.

January 15th, 2016
I think she is honest and caring , she has helped me a great deal.

September 27th, 2014
Dr. Smolen is a terrific family physician.
Our family has been seeing Dr. Smolen for about 10 years, and we never had a bad experience in her office. Dr. Smolen knows us and takes time with us. ...

November 8th, 2013
Most personable doctor I've ever known
I can't believe anyone who has actually had a visit with Dr. Smolen could write anything negative. She's the doctor of the future. Sure, she's not quick to write prescriptions, but that's a bonus in my book. She has a bit more of a natural approach. When you understand what prescription drugs to do your system over a period time, you'll realize that the doctors that only write scripts that are absolutely necessary, are interested in your long term health. A doctor who sticks with their principles and medical philosophies instead of kissing up to the drug companies that practically run this country, is a huge plus for me. I was also impressed by the fact that Dr. Smolen writes down almost everything you tell her, on an ipad. I felt like no doctor had ever asked more questions, or listened more to me, except maybe my gyn back in Ft. Lauderdale. If you can get an appointment with this Doctor, you're very fortunate.

November 10th, 2012
Doctor No Service!
I was recommended to Dr. Smolen. I was looking to possibly change physicians. I was willing to try her even though the commute is 35 miles from my home. (I would travel for good care) My experience with the office staff was less than acceptable from the appointment setter to her rude nurse! I never even spoke to Dr. Smolen herself! I was 4 minutes from her office and called as a courtesy because I would arrive 15 minutes before my appointment rather that 30 minutes. I had been driving an hour. The rude nurse, Valerie, informed me not to come and lectured me about giving myself enough driving time!! Also,they did not like the fact that I previously called and had different questions (normal for considering in changing doctors). I took the day off from work and traveled and then was told not to come. This is so unbelievable to me, I had to enter my comments! BEWARE!!! There are good doctors out there! I have experienced them!

August 12th, 2011
Dr. Smolen is wonderful! I feel bad for the negative comment on this site because this has not been my experience at all. I had health issues when I came to the practice, and Dr. Smolen never made me feel like she didn't want to deal with it. She has always been caring and supportive and truly never makes you feel rushed. She spends as much time with you as you need and makes you feel as though you're her only patient!! I commend her for referring to specialists when needed. She is a family physician. If I had a brain tumor, I would want to be referred to a neurosurgeon. If I was suffering with serious heart problems, I would want to be followed by a cardiologist in addition to my primary care doc. Her nurse is outstanding, also! The only room for improvement in the practice is the front office staff. They are not rude, but not overly friendly and welcoming either. I have had to wait over an hour for a blood draw on two separate occasions because they failed to check me in properly (with no apology afterwards). And I'm also not a fan of the phlebotomist (lab guy that draws the blood). But Dr. Smolen is so wonderful that I can easily overlook those small annoyances.

June 23rd, 2010
Dr. Smolen has a great bedside manner and listens to her patients. She diagnosed my daughter's illness quickly, something two other pediatricians failed to do. She care about her patients and follows up. Her nurse, Anita, is wonderful.

March 10th, 2010
Doctor Susan we are honor to be under your care!
Doctor Susan is a great professionalWhen you choose Doctor Susan as your doctor, she is there to stay and she becomes part of your family, she listen, she cares because YOU and your family are her family from that point on.Doctor Susan has an excellent staff, her nurse Anita, is the best Nurse on the planet, I know Doctor Susan since my little one was 1 year old, he is 6 now , he used to draw pictures to doctor Susan, and then she will post them all over her office. My kids love her and we love her.When she suspect that something can be wrong with you she doesnt hesitate to send you to the expert on your matter, and for sure she will send you to the best expert out there to run the test that will help you, because your matter is HER matter!If you need refill, she doesnt make you go up to her office, she will send your refill for fax to the pharmacy, dates that we dint have the strength, doctor Susan was there to help in her own time!Doctor Susan is an Honor to be under your care, we love you very much, and you are the best doctor on the Milky Way!

November 2nd, 2009
Dr. Smolen spends time with me; I never feel rushed; and I always get the sense that she is listening to me.

September 14th, 2009
Only wants healthy patients - doesn't like to be questioned.
This doctor is fine if you don't have any existing health conditions. If you do, she will refer you to the corresponding specialist for your condition without first trying to help you herself. When I expressed concern about this, I was dismissed from the practice and told to find another doctor. I would DEFINITELY NOT recommend anyone see this doctor unless you want to have multiple doctors manage your care. She also seems very hesitant to write needed prescriptions.