Dr. Teck Soo, MD
Neurological Surgeon, Neurologist
Video profile

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
Ms./Mr. show details Ms./Mr.
by Shelley M./Virgil I. on Jul 26th, 2016

I made an appointment with Dr. Soo after hearing many wonderful reviews about him, and researching his bio. My husband went with me to my appointment, where he mentioned how painful his back was. Dr. Soo x-rayed both of us and set us up for MRI's. On our return visit, he said my surgery could wait, but his back was very bad. My husband had a fusion of his L-1 to his L-3 and an interbody fusion from the L3-S1 with insertion of three "cages". With this massive surgery, (with rods,screws and cages) he only had 9 small incisions. He was walking the next day. We believe Dr. Soo is a miracle worker!! He is so dedicated to this work that sometimes the wait in his office is more time than average, but it is worth it. Now, the rest of the story-I am an RN who did not believe in back surgery, but I am a firm believer now-IF you have a Dr.Soo! Also my husband had just had his 80th birthday a month before the surgery. We are now having a great time enjoying our retirement in Florida doing things we could not do before surgery. Dr. Soo gets a 5 (or 10) out of 5 in our book. We thank God for him.

It's worth the wait! show details It's worth the wait!
by Darlene Rutherford on Jul 22nd, 2016

The wait is worth it. Dr. Soo is very accurate and honest in his diagnosis and treatment plans. I have had two surgeries with excellent outcomes. I visited yesterday for a new issue and he explained what was wrong, that I could wait for surgery and to return to me if symptoms changed. He is very upbeat and spends time to explain what is wrong and what he can or can't do for you.

Jul 7th, 2016

Excellent as a doctor and person. Have to wait some time to get an appointment and once you are in his office. Great guy, however.

Careful Consideration and Evaluation of my Case show details Careful Consideration and Evaluation of my Case
by Barb Cook on Jun 19th, 2016

I suffered a serious back injury from an automobile accident. While in the hospital, I met a couple of surgeons that were prepared to operate immediately. On one of my final days in the hospital I met Dr Teck Soo of Michigan Spine and Brain Surgeons. After evaluating my case, Dr. Soo recommended that I put surgery on hold and follow up at his office for further evaluation. I was very grateful that I took his advice. Dr Soo takes the time to fully evaluate each patients case. I am grateful that Dr. Soo offered alternative treatments/Doctors as he continues to watch over and evaluate me. For me, the future my still require back surgery, if so, I will put my trust in Dr Teck Soo's gifted hands. So should you!

minimally invasive but high positive impact show details minimally invasive but high positive impact
by Jimmy on Jun 8th, 2016

While it is early (one month) into a six month recovery from complicated back surgery, I am well on my way and full of confidence, walking now an average of ten thousand steps a day. I am deliberately taking things slow and reminding myself what I should not yet be doing. I have none of the debilitating pain which compelled me to get the surgery and which was effectively keeping me from walking. The pain from the procedure has been well controlled and I am now taking relatively little medicine. I put this surgery off for about thirty years, and now have relief from multiple fractures, a significant vertebrae slippage, and a disc that was basically missing. This was my first back surgery, and I feel fortunate to have gotten it done by Doctor Teck Mun Soo. There is much talk and promise around minimally invasive, and I think I have actually experienced it. He engaged me in a way that instilled confidence and made me know my challenging condition would get its special attention. I don’t know all about it and I am not yet fully recovered, but what I experienced seems the very definition of a specific modern back surgery. Minimally invasive doesn’t necessarily mean they don’t do a lot

May 28th, 2016

bad bad doctor

by Corner Johnson on May 17th, 2016

Doctor Soo was very straight forward about my spine problem and I was able to schedule my surgery with ease. I knew it was time and wish I had done it sooner! Leg pain is gone and my feet face forward when I walk now! Digestion has improved too! Thank You Doctor Soo!

Dr. Su is wonderful and a very talented physician show details Dr. Su is wonderful and a very talented physician
by Heidi C. on May 16th, 2016

He did such a wonderful job on my husband's surgery. We knew we were in good hands, and he has had a great recovery. Thank you again Dr. Su... :)

Outstanding Surgeon show details Outstanding Surgeon
by Janice Quinn on May 12th, 2016

I first met Dr. Soo when he operated on my younger son, who was in a car accident. Not knowing anything about Dr. Soo, I kept asking my son "Are you sure he's a good doctor?". I now know he had the very best. Surgery was a complete success. My older son had disc problems, and the pain became so bad one day that he was unable to leave the floor and had to be ambulanced to the hospital. His doctor called Dr. Soo, who at the time was on a fishing trip with friends on the Colorado River. He had been flown there on a friend’s private jet. Dr. Soo agreed to come back and operated on my son. How many doctors would have done that? Surgery was a complete success. My older son had disc problems, and the pain became so bad one day that he was unable to leave the floor and had to be ambulanced to the hospital. His doctor called Dr. Soo, who at the time was on a fishing trip with friends on the Colorado River. He had been flown there on a friend’s private jet. Dr. Soo agreed to come back and operated on my son. How many doctors would have done that? Surgery was a complete success. Now it was my turn for back surgery. I had severe stenosis with terrible pains in my legs making it difficult to walk. Dr. Soo explained to me he would do a L4-L5 fusion and a laminectomy. He assured me I would be fine, and there was nothing to worry about, as he has done thousands of these surgeries. I am happy to report, I am now pain free. Surgery was a complete success. Dr. Soo is an exceptional, gifted and confident neurosurgeon. He is very compassionate and cares about his patients. He will take the time to explain everything to you and answer your questions. I would highly recommend him to anyone.

by Elina Cobb on May 10th, 2016

Dr. Soo gave me hope, where some of the doctor's ignored me and my conditions. He performed two surgeries on me back and neck. He's great at what he does and really cares about his patients. I have a huge respect for him.

Would highly recommend this angel! show details Would highly recommend this angel!
by Martist Lott on May 4th, 2016

Phenomenol, awesome, kind, compassionate, personable, friendly, yet witty and ingenious to say the least! And great looking too! His wife is beautiful as well!

by Carole Terlecki on Apr 28th, 2016

Dr. Soo has done 2 small surgerys and one major surgery on my lumbar area. He corrected what another doctor did on my back about 8 years ago. I have some minor issues which we’re work on but as a surgeon he is the best. I recommend him to everyone that says they have back trouble. I know several people who have had him for a surgeon and have said they would have no one else touch their backs. He is great. He explains everything to his patients, lets them see the MRI’S, Cat Scans, and/or X-rays of their problem. As a person he has a great sense of humor, loves to joke around and is very understanding to his patients.

Apr 22nd, 2016

Very thorough and explains everything about the surgery. Follows up and makes sure you are healing well.

by Brandon M on Apr 16th, 2016

This guy is amazing. He is very knowledgeable and confident. I just had a lumbar fusion and I am only 24 years old. This guy gave me my life back. I couldn't be anymore thankful.

by Dave Lillystone on Apr 1st, 2016

Dr. Soo has an easygoing bedside manner, cares about his patient and is an excellent surgeon

Amazing neurosurgeon! show details Amazing neurosurgeon!
by J. Telep on Mar 20th, 2016

Amazing neurosurgeon! Accurate diagnostician, includes patient in review of radiology reports and his steps regarding diagnosis and treatment plan. Offers the least invasive treatment option and really delivers on outcome. What used to be a debilitating diagnosis, a prolonged surgery and recovery period, because of Dr. Soo I was fully functional and back to work within three weeks. All due to his skill and expertise. Nice guy, too! I can't say enough about him.

An Amazing Doctor - Thank You for Helping my Mom show details An Amazing Doctor - Thank You for Helping my Mom
by Greg Wells on Feb 6th, 2016

My Mom had back problems for more than 40 years. Every doctor and surgeon she saw told her there was nothing they could do to help her. Dr. Soo saw hope from the initial visit. He was willing to take the time to truly understand her condition and find an appropriate solution to bring her relief. I am very happy to say that our experience with Dr. Soo and his team was remarkable. His operation greatly reduced her back pain where nobody else was willing to make an effort with such a difficult case. Her recovery time, with his excellent care, was much faster than I anticipated. He is a remarkable doctor that provides tremendous personal attention and does not take the easy way out of caring for his patients. I am very thankful for the help he provided to my Mom.

Weigh the pros/cons? show details Weigh the pros/cons?
by Steve Gales on Feb 1st, 2016

Dr Soo does a great job - does what he says he is going to do - when he says surgery is minimally invasive it is - very little discomfort or pain. On the other side of things you have to deal with his office & that is an ordeal - wait times on the phone are 30-to over an hour - I had terrible issues with BCBS and my companies benefits dept. I got bill from BCBS for $60,000 because they failed to submit info BCBS needed. I know Drs offices can have poor service but this is far worse. They know their service is poor - they said they have grown and have not increased staff enough - that excuse only last so long -

Great Surgeon show details Great Surgeon
by John P. on Dec 15th, 2015

Dr. Soo has fused my neck at c2-t2 with great success. It got rid of of the pain I was having done my legs and arms. Now a year later as he saw in the MRI, he fused L3-L5. Now I do not have any low back issues that have bothered me for the last 4-5 years. With PT, I am sure that I will be able to walk normally for the first time in 4-5 years. He takes the time to listen to what your concerns are and will explain what he did to fix you. A gifted surgeon.

Bad person, Terrible doctor. show details Bad person, Terrible doctor.
by B.Mason on Dec 15th, 2015

Beware of this doctor, he can and will ruin your life, does not care about his patients, all he looks at is your spine and the money he can steal from you and your insurance. he will do the wrong surgery just to make a buck.

by sami somo on Nov 18th, 2015

I am so happy after Dr. Soo treat my back Disk in good surgery and safe .

Nov 17th, 2015

He was my second opinion and I am so grateful I sought one!

Neurological Surgery show details Neurological Surgery
by John D. on Nov 14th, 2015

I am convinced after having had surgery on my back by Dr. Tek M. Soo, he is one of the best neurosurgeons in his field. He is patient, knowledgeable and kind. His expertise is unmatched and it is very evident that he truly cares about his patients. I am very grateful for his services and I would highly recommend him to anyone who needs neurosurgery.

Great surgeon show details Great surgeon
by Gordon Neihardt on Nov 13th, 2015

Great Doctor knows his stuff

by Brian Bos on Nov 4th, 2015

Dr. Soo performed 5-level Lumbar (2012) and Cervical (2014) fusions on me and I found him to be a highly gifted and confident neurosurgeon. He took the time to explain every step of the procedure, including the pros and cons of various treatments and approaches to solving the very complex puzzle that is the human spine. I credit him, and his highly talented staff, for things that most of us take for granted, like the ability to walk or use my hands. If you’re having pinched nerves or other spinal issues there is no better person to have in your corner!

by Jerry Zimmerman on Oct 14th, 2015

Dr. Soo made special arrangements to do the required surgery's immediately to relive the unbearable pain, and did it on his personal time. Tanks Dr. Soo.

by Chris Mc on Oct 3rd, 2015

Horrible personality in relating to patients. Arrogant, rude and less than realistic about his technical and medical expertise in helping patients who put their faith in him. Does not return phone calls and people should be cautious in dealing with him.

very bad doctor. show details very bad doctor.
Sep 25th, 2015

I haft to respond to Marie A. please give me a break, do you work for Soo?. these bad reviews are here for a reason. yes you will wait a long time to see him for only a few minutes and then he just walks out on you. he does not like people. does not go over your MRI with you because he's too busy. after he does surgery on you he's even too busy to come see you and tell you how the surgery went, this guy is awful and should not be able to practice.

BEST DOCTOR EVER show details BEST DOCTOR EVER
by Marie A on Sep 24th, 2015

You will wait to see this doctor but it is so worth it. He will spend time with you and explain what procedure is necessary. He will show you the MRI if surgery is necessary. Dr. Soo is very compassionate and cares that his patients have good results.

Sep 17th, 2015

After waiting for more than 1 hour, finally went into the room and he walked in said "what do you want" I said to be out of pain fix my neck & lower back. He said "nothing we can do", Asked about the pain he said "live with it" that was the end of the office visit no advice to do anything or no recommendations walked out of the office.

by Elvira Alexander on Sep 6th, 2015

Dr. Soo is a great individual, caring and concern about his patients. I was very impressed by his curriculum and expertise. I love his sense of humor and honesty. He is a very forward and dedicated Dr. to his patients. Until I saw him I my life was very miserable due to pain. I was diagnosed with a SI joint dysfunction by Dr. Soo followed by surgery. Thanks to him I feel 90% better.

worse doctor i have ever met,so stupid, such a lier. show details worse doctor i have ever met,so stupid, such a lier.
Sep 4th, 2015

people this doctor had to be at the bottom of his class, he calls his patients cripples, well I sure believe that, he made one of me. its been just over a year since he worked on me and he destroyed my life. he took away all the things I enjoy doing, I don't really want to live any longer. and to top it off, I didn't even need the surgery he did on me. I had to go out of my network (insurance coverage) to have the surgery done that should have been done. because he fired me. this man is a rat and his dues will come... I've been spending a lot of time finding out this mans history, and guess what? since 2004 he has had 10 lawsuits, 8 were settled ( some included death), 2 were not paying his bills. he has 3 lawsuits pending now, (not including mine) I will post every month what more I find out....

Mark as Helpful  | 17 people found this helpful Report Abuse
Thank you Dr. Soo! show details Thank you Dr. Soo!
by Sami Somo on Aug 25th, 2015

Dr. Soo encouraged me to do the surgery on my back when I was very hesitant about doing so. I am over 80 years old and I knew there were risks involved with doing the surgery on my spine, but Dr. Soo was very patient, explained to me that it was going to be as minimally invasive as possible and performed a wonderful surgery. I am now pain free and I'm grateful that I found such an amazing doctor.

very bad doctor show details very bad doctor
Jul 30th, 2015

people if you value your life do not go to this doctor.

Mark as Helpful  | 15 people found this helpful Report Abuse
Before Dr. Tech Soo show details Before Dr. Tech Soo
by Melissa L. on Jul 23rd, 2015

I came to Dr. Soo after 6 failed back surgeries. I was a total mess when I came to him with little hope for success. He was extremely honest with me and had complete confidence that he could fix my screwed up back and return me back to my family. My first surgery was performed By Dr. Montgomery, a failed back fusion from L5-S1. The doctor informed me that the pain was due to the hardware so he removed the hardware and I was still in pain. The doctor then he informed me that he did a perfect fusion and to just deal with the pain. I later went to another neurosurgeon who informed me that my fusion did not take so he had to fuse me again which went well. I later had to have a fusion on L4-L5 in 2012. Dr. L. Rapp performed my fusion on L4 to L5 and put a screw through my L5 nerve root. When I returned to him 7 days after the surgery he sent me to get a CT scan and was informed that the screw that was in L4 was infected so it had to be removed. Then while in the hospital I was informed I had MRSA. The doctor never informed me that he put a screw through my nerve root and never apologized either. I was in the worst pain of my life and had 6 months of vancomycin infusion through a pik line. I ended up with drop foot, RSD & neuropathy in my left leg. I tell my story because I thought I was safe putting my trust in these Doctors and thought that they cared. Looking back I wish I would had done the research and read comments from the patients. I was to then meet Dr. Soo and he gave me hope back. He was completely honest with me and agreed to fix what the other Doctors broke. When Dr. Soo took me into surgery he had to remove all of the hardware and refuse me from L3-S1 and the Fusion TOOK!! I am truly grateful that I found Dr. Soo and am writing all of this so that people do not have to go through everything I did. Please do the research before you let someone perform surgery on you.

He Truly Saved My Life!!! show details He Truly Saved My Life!!!
by Carol on Jul 11th, 2015

Dr. Soo saved my life. Not only is he an amazing spinal surgeon but if not for him I would not be here today. His one decision to give me an EKG allowed me to continue to enjoy my life with my family. Then his surgical procedure allowed me to walk pain free in 6 weeks. He is highly recommended and appreciated for all he does

Terrible bedside show details Terrible bedside
Jul 9th, 2015

This is the most arrogant man I have ever met. He told me I needed to lose weight, accused me of having pain only in my head and talked about how he "filleted" patients with his scalpel. He also told me my previous surgery scar was ugly (it's on the front of my neck and he did it) and asked me if I ever sent him a thank you note last time. He was rude, dismissive, and treated me like I was no one that mattered. He also kept saying I have other people in the waiting room who need my help.

Mark as Helpful  | 11 people found this helpful Report Abuse
He made me a believer! Awesome guy!! And Staff!! show details He made me a believer! Awesome guy!! And Staff!!
by Christy M on Jun 23rd, 2015

It might take a while to get an appointment (goes for any specialty practice), and you might wait in the waiting room a while, but I can't say enough positive comments about Dr. Soo and staff in Novi. I went in barely able to walk and in 2 weeks after initial exam I had surgery done (2 weeks by choice). I woke up from surgery and wanted to hug Dr. Soo! I could feel my leg again! I am 4 weeks post op and back to work and doing great! I had a spinal fusion with bone grafting. My incisions are minimal and I am so pleased! He asked if I had to do it again, would I? My answer, "Only if you would be the surgeon!"

terrible person show details terrible person
Jun 11th, 2015

This doctor is not fit to be a doctor, He is ruining the image of this profession. after seeing him I will never trust another and will always seek another opinion. I hope Providence hospital wakes up soon and sends this man packing......

Mark as Helpful  | 12 people found this helpful Report Abuse
this man is crazy show details this man is crazy
May 25th, 2015

People do not go to this doctor ( if you want to call him that). he brags about the 10000 surgerys he did last year and the profit he made the hospital. he does not care for his patients, does the wrong surgery, spends no time with you and when you complain he tells you not to come to his office anymore. I have always had great respect for these type of surgons, never questioned their approach. but this guy has changed my mind forever. always get a second opinion.......

Mark as Helpful  | 14 people found this helpful Report Abuse
He is one crazy, messed up person! show details He is one crazy, messed up person!
by Teresa on May 2nd, 2015

This person, he's not worthy of being called a doctor, has completely LOST HIS MIND! He is rude and arrogant. He called his patients "cripples" He belittled my mom and told her to live with her pain. He wanted to do a spinal fusion, but he didn't even do any tests to figure out what's wrong with her or where and why she's having pain. After reading some reviews of the botched surgeries he's performed on people, I THANK GOD, he was arrogant, rude and crazy because that saved my moms life! Stay away from him. There are lots of good, caring doctors out there. This arrogant piece of s**t is in it for the money. He think's he's God. He told me that the people waiting in his waiting room (he referred to them as "cripples," are all there to see him, and that he's so sick of them wasting his time, he's going to retire because he's performed enough surgeries to last him four life times" He's mentally disturbed. PSYCHOTIC!

Mark as Helpful  | 16 people found this helpful Report Abuse
Apr 8th, 2015

this doctor ruined my life, did the wrong surgery on me,

Mark as Helpful  | 16 people found this helpful Report Abuse
Apr 1st, 2015

bad bad doctor.

Mark as Helpful  | 13 people found this helpful Report Abuse
Mar 6th, 2015

Great Dr. He is the best.

Exceptional Surgeon show details Exceptional Surgeon
Dec 28th, 2014

Exceptional surgeon, I had a 100% cure from my cervical spine surgery and am back at work full time.

Sep 17th, 2014

this doctor is terrible, no manners, acts like a clown, he did a fusion on me and it still hurts after 3 months, when I went to the emergency room with a lot of pain he just told me he could cut my tail bone off and I could walk around like a Doberman. I told him I didn't think he was funny so he fired me and told me to never come to his office. now I ask you, don't he work for me? what a scum bag!.

Mark as Helpful  | 24 people found this helpful Report Abuse
Best Doctor Ever show details Best Doctor Ever
by Niki L. on Sep 8th, 2014

Dr. Soo is a man of great knowledge, skill, poise, compassion and wit. He recently performed a sacroiliac joint fusion for me. Now, I'm not crazy about doctors, I've met my share of quacks, and surgery was the last thing I wanted to undergo. Dr. Soo, however, made this experience if not enjoyable, at least tolerable. You may have to wait a bit in the office, but the experience will be worth it. When someone is having to undergo a neurological procedure of any kind it can be traumatic and scary. Dr. Soo is a soft-spoken and compassionate man. One who treats his patients with the utmost dignity and concern. This guy's one top-notch professional. It's no wonder why he's one of the Top-!0 neurosurgeons.

AWESOME Doctor! show details AWESOME Doctor!
by Mrs. McKinney on Apr 22nd, 2014

Dr. Soo, Is honest, skilled, trustworthy, and hilarious! He will tell you the truth about whether or not he can help, and I will forever be greatful for the service (surgery on my spine) that he has done for me. I am young and he was confident even though at the time I was not about fixing the herniated disc in my back. The wait time is between 20-30min, but it is well worth it, this Dr. wants the total history so he can help!

office scheduling show details office scheduling
by Pamela Mize on Apr 14th, 2014

I suffered back pain for eight years due to fear of surgery. Dr. Soo explained the procedure to me and definately put my fears to rest. He also let me know that everything he was telling me was true and would not lie to me. I am happy to say he is up front and honest. Had my four week follow-up and all was good.I Because more attention had to be focused on my left side I am experiencing some discomfort on the left side after 7 weeks. It feels swollen and have difficulty sleeping every night since the surgery 7 weeks ago. This may be normal but decided to call and schedule an appointment. When I explained to the office about my problem they informed me they couldn't schedule me until May 1st. Seriously? Another 3 weeks of sleepless nights? I was told if I couldn't wait that long to go to emergncy. I don't care to go to someone who isn't familiar with the procedure Dr. Soo did and nor should I have to wait three weeks to get an appt. I highly doubt that Dr. Soo is aware of the attitude of the person who does the scheduling. I realize I'm not his only patient but he did the surgery and I feel he is the one I should see. Not some stranger who isn't familiar with my case. I just want to know if I'm healing properly or is there a problem. If there is a problem shouldn't I know this ASAP instead of waiting another three weeks of discomfort and sleepless nights? By no means am I trying to discredit Dr. Soo's ability to perform top notch surgery. He is the best there is. He performed surgery on two of my friends who are now living life pain free. Please don't misunderstand me, DR. Soo has relieved the excruciating back pain I suffered for eight years and I am forever thankful to him. I have my life back because of his gift of knowledge to perform surgery. He may not walk on water but he is close to It when it comes to preforming surgery.

Glad I found Dr.Teck Soo show details Glad I found Dr.Teck Soo
by Don T on Feb 11th, 2014

After seeing several doctors and specialists for my pain as well as other symptoms, Dr. Soo discovered by MRI (others had missed it)that I had a tethered spinal cord. The surgery became very lengthy and difficult. Dr Soo was very diligent in correcting all the nerve damage deep within my lower back. The surgery was a great success and glad I had come to Dr. Soo. In all my visits he has treated wife and I with respect and concern, listened without rushing. Would certainly recommend!

Outstanding physician show details Outstanding physician
by Robert Howell on Jan 15th, 2014

Dr. Soo was tremendous in his diagnosis, empathetic prior to surgery and he was 100% on execution of his procedure to correct my herniated disc resulting in immediate pain relief. He is very personable, caring and intelligent while explaining in layman's terminology. I recommend Dr. Soo for spinal injuries and I would seek his expertise if I had this problem again in the future.

Patient show details Patient
by Timothy Christie on Dec 18th, 2013

First I was injured while serving in the USAF back in 1983 and had 4 pervious back surgeries, 1987,2004,2008 and 2010.I searched out Dr Soo for a second opinion then chose him to be my doctor, as HFHS was scheduling a 5 disc fusion, s-1 to l-2. My first office visit he explained that he needed a myliogram to get a better picture. Dr Soo gave me his cell phone number and directed me to call him the day after the test. After the test we talked on the phone for about 30 min. He advised against any surgical intervention at this time but to call him if things got worse. Approximently 7 months later my symptoms got worse and his office advised me to go to ER at Providence hospital. Because I was a patient of Dr Soo's, the staff from the ER contacted him directly and he ordered test, and pain medication right away. I was in great hands. Before I was admitted Dr. Soo ordered a MRI and a CAT Scan. I was in terrible pain and losing feeling in my right foot. Dr Soo admitted me. I was stable and given great care to control my pain. Once a time slot was open for surgery, as a non scheduled procedure, Dr Soo spent 4.5 hours in surgury . Dr Soo explained before surgury what needed to be done in a with great care not to talk over my head, and listened to my concerns with great care and compassion. He and his surgical staff kept my family informed throughout surgery and made them feel at ease that I was in good condition and I was going to be ok. He followed up with me my entire stay in the hospital, and discharged me only when he knew I could care for myself at home. I felt Dr. Soo went over and above standard care to make my procedure a success, and made feel confident I was cared for by the best Surgeon I've ever known. His expertise is unparalleled in the field of neurosurgery. This entire process was done minimumly invasive, and I have healed quicker than expected. I would recommend Dr Soo over any other surgeon in this field.

Doctor Soo show details Doctor Soo
by Linda Austin on Dec 9th, 2013

I Have had neck surgery. I have not had any problem. So NO One but Doctor Soo was going to touch my back. You hear so many bad storys . BUT with Doctor Soo I Know I am safe. Thank You Doctor Soo. For taking most of the fears away:-)

Mr. show details Mr.
by James Rudd on Oct 20th, 2013

After five back surgeries, spinal cord stimulator implant (which offered very minimal relief) and countless hours in rehabilitation, I was advised by numerous doctors that nothing else could be done to alleviate my intense back and leg pain. I was bedridden 23 hours a day, or more. Pain medication provided almost no relief. No physical position would give me any relief and pain medication all but ceased to help with the pain. I was literally at the point of despair. Then I made an appointment with Dr. Soo. After studying my medical history, xray film and MRA film, he was convinced he could substantially reduce my pain level, and maybe eliminate it completely. I am very pleased to report that after a five hour surgery and months of recovery, Dr. Soo has accomplished what all the other doctors said could not be done. My leg and hip pain, which was intense, is completely gone. My back pain is minimal and I am hopeful it will also be eliminated eventually, but even if it doesn't, I could not be more pleased with the results. Dr. Soo has absolutely turned my life around and I could not offer more profound thanks.

Life is Great Now!! show details Life is Great Now!!
by kathy Brunner on Sep 19th, 2013

Dr.Teck Soo put the meaning of Quality back into my life! I feel wonderful. I stand up straight and proud now and NO pain!! If you have problems with your back or neck etc. Dr. Teck Soo is the right Doctor for you. Thank You Dr. Soo for all you did for me and my family ;)

Dr. Soo is the very best. show details Dr. Soo is the very best.
by Paula on Sep 11th, 2013

Among the several surgeons I interviewed Dr. Soo was the most impressive and his procedure for relieving my spinal problem was the least invasive and historically most successful. Dr. Soo is an excellent surgeon. His skills are superb. His compassion and caring for his patients is unsurpassed. I would highly recommend him. FWIW, I am an MD.

Saved my career show details Saved my career
by Bill M on Sep 1st, 2013

Symptoms came on very quickly. MRI ordered that day, consult and anterior fusion surgery within 7 days. In and out of hospital in 24 hours with anterior fusion at single level. 7 Days post op now numbness and pain almost completely gone from affected areas. Have to wear a c-collar for 4 to weeks but a small price to pay, have to keep bones and hardware stable while fusion is taking place. Anterior neck scar almost invisible only 7 days out. Staff very kind and courteous, necessary forms for work filled out and ready upon follow up visit as requested. Absolutely no post op pain meds required though I don't suggest that for all patients. If you can tolerate the pain I always go without the narcotics. Not my cup of tea but your mileage may vary. Just a little tylenol and a positive attitude. I will be ready to return to work with no restrictions 28 days from the date of surgery. How can I complain about that after having had a surgery that had I delayed another could of weeks could and and more than would have resulted in permanent paralysis. Dr. Soo and his group not only saved my career but my life.

Brilliant Dr, Amazing Man, Gave me my life back!! show details Brilliant Dr, Amazing Man, Gave me my life back!!
by Kahlin K. on Aug 30th, 2013

I am forever thankful to Dr. Soo for giving my my life back. I am only 26 years old, and just two years ago, within a blink of an eye, my entire world was changed due to a herniated disc in my lower back. I was forced to quit my job, move across the country to live with my parents because I was unable to do anything due to the severity of the pain. For two years I worked with countless drs, surgeons, alternative medicine specialists, physical therapists...you name it, I tried it. NO ONE could help me, and none of the 3 other surgeons I met with were willing to operate because of how young I was. I was referred to Dr. Soo by a friend who had worked with the same drs. I had in my home town and had no relief after 2 surgeries. I immediately called to make an appointment to meet with Dr. Soo after hearing her story. I did have to wait a month and a half, but it was SOOOOOO worth it. I would expect a year waiting list with how amazing this man truly is. The moment I met with Dr. Soo I was immediately comfortable. He talked to me as another human being, not like just another patient. We didn't even go in an exam room, we just sat in his office and talked. He gave me ALL the time I needed, and answered every question I had. You can honestly feel that he really does care about helping to relieve the pain you are in. He cared to hear about my life, what I wanted to accomplish and where I wanted to go. It meant the world to be treated with such compassion. Within minutes of going over my history and looking at my MRI he looked me in the eyes and said to me "I am going to fix you. You will have your life back." I will never forget that day. I left his office knowing 100% that this was the Dr. that was going to take care of me. I called my family and said to them "I know I have worked with so many drs now, and have been promised the impossible, but I KNOW Dr. Soo is going to be the one to make me better." I did have to go through some testing with a pain management dr. for several months because I had multiple herniation's, so we had to find out which one was causing my pain. But once we had the testing we needed, I met back with Dr. Soo, he looked at the Disco-gram results (Showing the problem disc) and literally within minutes I was scheduled for surgery. I only had to wait two weeks! I had a minimally invasive spinal fusion, was pain free (other than the surgical pain, which was a million times easier to deal with) as soon as the anesthesia wore off, and was walking around the hospital within hours of surgery. I was only in the hospital for 3 nights. I had my surgery at providence hospital in Novi. It was the nicest hospital I have ever been to (and unfortunately I've been to many.) Dr. Soo and his team came in and talked with my daily, and my nurses and other Drs. on staff were all wonderful. Yesterday I went back to see Dr. Soo for my one month post operative appointment. I am completely pain free, I have been off my meds (other than once dose at night) for almost two weeks now, and feel better than I ever have. My incisions were completely healed within the first couple weeks and I had absolutely no issues at all. When I saw Dr. Soo yesterday he gave me a hug, and I could see in his smile that he was genuinely happy to see me pain free. It wasn't about him being successful (the mans a genius, he doesn't need another patient to prove that) it was honest compassion for another human being, as simple as that. This man was blessed with a gift that I could never imagine. But more than that, he is a joy to be around. His presence both before and after surgery gave me a sense of calm that I never could have anticipated going into such a serious surgery. I honestly can NOT say enough great things about Dr. Soo. I would not recommend any other Dr. in the world. He has changed my entire life, and will forever be thankful to him for that.

Spinal Fusion Surgery show details Spinal Fusion Surgery
by Jill Johnson on Aug 23rd, 2013

Dr. Soo was wonderful. I was only 41 with a fractured spine and severe slip. Spondylolesthesis grade 3. I needed the L5/S1 fused. First, I didn't want an unnecessary operation, but I was in pain and very concerned about the lack of stability in my back due to the fracture. I was able to hear him with other patients while I waited to meet him for the first time and it was clear that he would not jump to operating on people. There are a lot of other options for many circumstances that should be exhausted first. For me, however, this was not the case. There was no other option and he made me comfortable with that fact and with him. He did the surgery. I was immediately better. Recovery from surgery included pain, but the pain was different and the back pain and leg pains and numbness were gone. I had the surprise opportunity to really test the surgery by having an easy, successful pregnancy right after with absolutely no back issues with carrying the baby or delivering! He did great and I plan to never see him again! However, if needed, he is the only one, or one trained by him, that I'd want to work on me.

Brilliant, Caring Surgeon - Mom Is Now PAIN FREE show details Brilliant, Caring Surgeon - Mom Is Now PAIN FREE
by Katherine C. on Aug 20th, 2013

If you are in need of surgery this man is a GENIUS. My 80 year old mother was in excruciating back pain and could not walk. After consulting 6 of Detroit's "best" spinal and neurosurgeons, we found Dr. Soo. The other 6 surgeon's proposed spinal surgeries they involved huge, full body scars and lengthy recovery times. Dr. Soo performed a newer, more innovative surgery and my 80 year old mother was WALKING THE DAY AFTER SURGERY and SHE HAS NOT HAD A MOMENT'S PAIN since the surgery. Our family owes him everything! We are so grateful. And, not only is he brilliant, he is kind and caring. Don't look any farther - just go to Dr. Soo!

Terrible office staff-Rude staff show details Terrible office staff-Rude staff
by PK on Aug 8th, 2013

Office staff should be fired. The older woman has the front desk has a horrible attitude. She was argumentative, rude and the people in the office overheard her how rude she was to me. I would never go back to this office. I saw Dr Soo in the past but he would not take my insurance so I was sent to one of their doctors who would not even do another myleogram and wanted to use a myleogram that was done in 2009 which was irrevelant to my current situation. Dr Soo is lousy at managing his office staff and is going to have patients leave based on his staff's attitude. I will go somewhere else where I get better care.

Rude and Dismissive show details Rude and Dismissive
Jul 29th, 2013

I am shocked to see how many positive reviews he has as this doctor has no bediside manners whatsoever. Doctor was assigned to my mother due to a car accident. We usually go to Beaumont, but had to go to Providence due to the distance of the hospital from the accident. Doctor did not spend a lot of time discussing options nor did he listen to the needs of my mother. On the follow up appointment my mother complained of still being in pain and he had the audacity to tell her she should be happy to be alive. Will never recommend or refer and will be sure to post this on any and all review sites that I can find.

Mark as Helpful  | 14 people found this helpful Report Abuse
Dr. Soo show details Dr. Soo
by luvinia nicholas on Apr 9th, 2013

Dr. Soo is very sure of his craft and wants you to understand your problem. I had been in pain for 5 yrs one vist to him he set up test that other Dr. did not and one year later no pain and no pain meds. At 65 yrs old thats a blessing. after working in factory for years. Need a great back Dr. Dr. Soo is the one

RN, MSN show details RN, MSN
by Nadine Lollie on Apr 4th, 2013

I have had degenerative bone problems and Dr. Soo is the only person I will trust! I have been his client since 2005 and because of God and Dr. Soo skillful knowledge and experience the surgery I have had kept me standing tall. The first day I met Dr. Soo he made me feel like we had known each other for years. He explained to me what I needed to have done, why, and he showed me the MRI of area of concern. We talk about consequences of not having the surgery and the truth/risk about having the surgery. Before surgery I prayed with the staff and I felt good about it! Dr. Tech Soo is the best Neurosurgeon in Michigan and possibly second to known to Dr. Ben Carson in the World. If you have any neurological issues you owe it to yourself to have the best doctor...Dr. Tech Soo

Dr. Soo show details Dr. Soo
by Claudia T on Jan 23rd, 2013

I have been in Dr. Soo's care since 2008. Due to several degenerative diseases I have had two spinal fusions and am awaiting a third. He is not quick to cut but will try to resolve problems in non invasive ways first. Dr. Soo is extremely intelligent, skillful and compassionate. I would not even consider another doctor. He is the best!

Simply the best Neurosurgeon ever. show details Simply the best Neurosurgeon ever.
Nov 12th, 2012

I cannot say enough good things about Dr. Soo. I had my laminectomy 4 weeks ago. I was in incredible pain down my arm for months. I couldn't get a definitive diagnose from other doctors. He immediately knew how to fix it. His procedure is so far advanced. He removed a ruptured disk and cartilage in my neck. He also removed a cyst. The incision is very small. I went home the same day. Unbelievable. You do have a long wait to see him at his office but he is well worth the wait. He takes as much time as he needs for you.

very happy to have found him show details very happy to have found him
Jun 30th, 2012

I went to several back surgeons before I discovered Dr. Soo. My friend, after hearing my unsatisfactory with other doctors had recommended him. My husband and I liked everything about him. He made me comfortable and at ease about surgery. But before jumping into back fusion he had me try other therapy methods. And when that did not work we decided to proceed with back surgery. And I'm glad that I did it! It's been 10 weeks since surgery and I feel great. His bed side manner was excellent. He visited me twice while I was in the hospital. Amazing. I highly recommend him to anyone who has back problems.

The best I have felt since previous surgery 5 years ago show details The best I have felt since previous surgery 5 years ago
May 22nd, 2012

I had a previous Posterior Laminectomy with instrumentation and fusion from C3-C6 by another Neurosurgeon five years ago. Although this other surgeon saved me from a potential major spinal cord injury for which I am extremely grateful, he would never address residual pain I felt was caused by the surgery. He basically told me I was going to have to learn to live with numbness and burning in my left arm and hand. After several years my condition worsened and I couldnt sleep due to the pain along with additional pain in my left shoulder, neck and back. I had heard good things about Dr. Soo so decided to go to him instead of my previous surgeon. He found a large bone spur at C6-C7 in a mylogram test my other surgeon conducted 4.5 years prior but missed or worse ignored. I am one week post-surgery with Dr. Teck Soo now who conducted an anterior cervical decompression and fusion at C6-C7 and I can honestly say I feel better now than I have in the last 5 years. I could feel the difference upon waking up in recovery just after the surgery and a week after surgery all I have is a little bit of a sore throat.Now here is the thing. Dr. Soos office will get you an appointment very quick, but you may wait to actually see Dr. Soo once you get there. Understand that he spends a lot of time with each patient and sometimes he may run over. But I think it is better to wait in the office rather than be put off a month or two before you ever get an appointment. So, if you feel the wait is too long, buck it up, bring something to read and just wait it out youll be happy you did when you consider the years of benefit afterwards. If Im not mistaken, Dr. Soo spent more time with me in his office looking for the problem, explaining the condition and what was going to happen than the actual surgery took. After surgery he checked on me personally three times. I never saw my other doctor after the surgery until my follow up exam 6-weeks later.Thank You Dr. Soo so very much. You've given me my life back.

Very Disappointed show details Very Disappointed
Jan 29th, 2012

After waiting more than 3 hours to see the doctor, I received less than 10 minutes of actual time with him. Brief exam and look at MRI. Mumbled remarks that his services weren't needed and out the door without giving me a chance to ask a question. I still have cervical pain but would not return to him. Very poor people skills.

patient show details patient
Dec 30th, 2011

He is very good at what he doe~s

SAVED My LIFE!!!!! show details SAVED My LIFE!!!!!
Oct 6th, 2011

I had two previous Surgeries out of St.Joseph MI. Brain and spine. Two previous surgeries, after second sugery the surgeon said I will be back in 5 to 10 years for another sugery. YOU see I had 3 Bad discs in l-3,l-4,l-5,through s-1. The operation was l-3,and l-4 siattic nurves going to my feet. First sugery drew fluid out of disc, fluid calsified,and hardened. Second sugery fussion,Two different surgeons . NO CHANGE in sever PAIN. FINALLY. DR.Teck Mun Soo GREAT SURGEON, HELPED ME WALK AGAIN WITHOUT PAIN!!!!!!!!! I AM PLAYING, PLAYING, RUNNING!!!! LIKE NEVER BEFORE. THANK YOU. Drotor Teck Mun Soo.

Brain Tumor show details Brain Tumor
Oct 2nd, 2011

You saved my Son's life and he is doing very well now thanks to you. I wouldn't go to any other surgeon.

Spine surgery show details Spine surgery
Sep 30th, 2011

I have had back problems for many years but couldn't find a doctor who understood my problem and physical needs. Though my surgery had some complications that were unforseeable, Dr. Soo went way out of his way to make sure the complications were top priority on his list. He made good on his promise that I would finally be pain free. I would recommend Dr. Soo to anyone who has back problems. Never thought I would feel so good. Thank you Dr. Soo !!!!!!!!

BBG show details BBG
Aug 2nd, 2011

Dr Soo is an exceptional surgeon. His reputation as such is worldwide and many of his patients come from around the U.S. In my case his experience, his brains and his hands have guaranteed a long and productive life for me as a result of the surgery he performed on my spine. Importantly, his caring about my health and welfare was and is a critical component of my healing and getting on with living. I want all my friends and family who are in need of the kind of help he is able to give, to see him and only him.

Severe Adult scoliosis with leg pain show details Severe Adult scoliosis with leg pain
Apr 26th, 2011

Dr. Soo is not only my hero but a God-sent miracle. I had been in search of a doctor that would be willing to treat my condition. Upon reviewing mt MRI his comment was "I can help you". I walked with a limp and was hunched over with my spine bowing out my back. It was a week later and I had a very complicated surgery on my back from T2-pelvis which took 11 gruling hours. 2 months later, I am walking without pain. And it is a miracle by the hands of Dr. Soo. The quality of my life has now changed. At 62, I was too young to give up, and believe me I was ready to give up!!He's not afraid to tackle the most complicated surgeeries. There is no question that I owe Dr. Soo and his associates my life!!!You also can have your life changed. Call, go to him, he will help you!!!!

Apr 22nd, 2011

Dr. Teck Soo is my hero because he saved more than my life, but my ability to live well too. I busted my neck and back in a fall, smashing my spine: C5, 6 & 7, T1 & 2. With this much damage this high quadriplegic paralysis was more than risk, it was expected. But Dr. Soo's skilled hand and expert care prevented this. He installed instrumentation that fused my spine from C3 to T3. I carry a wallet-size copy of the X-ray which shows his handiwork. I've shown it to many doctors and other neurosurgeons. All have been blown away by the mastery of Dr. Soo's work. Few can believe that I did such damage and yet can still walk. It is true that the waits can be long to see Dr. Soo. That's because his days are often interrupted to save the lives of guys like me who don't schedule our accidents.

Feb 24th, 2010

I have had three complicated spinal operations with Dr. Soo. As a former healthcare professional I must admitt the recover time for each was much sooner than I expected and in lieu of the problems that were addressed the recovery was amazing.

Jul 6th, 2009

The BESTEST DOCTOR EVER.. LUV HIM :)