Emergency Physician, Family Physicians, Preventive Medicine / Wellness

1950 Fort Union Blvd
Suite E122
Salt Lake City, UT 84121
801-943-3300
Locations and availability (2)

1.0

|  Horrible Experience, possible hippa violation.  |  show details
by Emily Bates on Jan 26th, 2009

I waited a decent amount of time to go back into a room. When I first went in a room, no vitals were taken except a temp. Then no follow up questions were asked by the nurse. Immediately after they took my temp he asked me to pee in a cup. In my experience you don't ask someone to pee in a cup with out a verbal history/current symptoms given. When I went to pee in the cup the bathroom had yellow caution tape everywhere, the sink was broken, and it looked like the toilet was on it's last leg. After I peed in the cup and handed it to the nurse, the two nurses that were there were betting on what I could have. Thirty minutes later when the doctor finally came in, he sat down, said his hello's and told me I had a UTI. Again, he didn't ask for any verbal history/current symptoms. He didn't have me lay down so he could feel my belly or around my bladder. I felt like he didn't even want me there. When it came time that I had to have a physical examination (which I didn't want to tell him about but it was extremely important that it was done) he left the room and asked that another one be prepped. ANOTHER 30 minutes later I was finally taken into a room for the physical exam, the nurse hands me a sheet and tells me to undress fully from the waist down. When I was ready for them they both came in and the nurse was having me put my feet in the stirrups and she lifted the sheet so she could see where I was sitting. I voiced my concern about this (I've had quite a few of these exams before and know that all she had to do was put some gloves on, put her hand on the small of my back and judge that way where I was sitting.) Both the doctor and the nurse had no concern over my concerns. I told the doctor that I was un comfortable with a male doing my exam and he told me that if he were in my position he'd rather have a woman look at his prostate, and started the exam. After the exam was over the sheet was not pulled back down past my ankles and the nurse exited the door as if I was covered fully. So if someone was to walk by as she was exiting the door, they would have gotten a full eyes view of my private area. The doctor then talked to me about possible TSS among other things. Then told me of a prescription he was going to prescribe me. I told him there is a chance that I could be pregnant because I had had un protected sex recently and asked if it is safe to take the medication. He said it didn't matter. He then proceeded to lecture me about HIV1 tests and other STD's. After the Doctor left the room I proceeded to start getting dressed, the nurse knocked on the door, I said hold on a minute, she opened the door and said it's just me, and walked right in and started cleaning. I was NOT comfortable with this what so ever. When I told her to hold on a minute that means DO NOT come in. I asked her if they did a pregnancy test on my urine and she said no, I asked her if they would do one for me she said no. I asked the doctor after I was ready to leave if they would do one and he said no. He gave me the prescription, told me if I felt worse he expected to see me back again. I thought in my mind, "no chance in hell".