Surgical Specialist

2.5

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
Please Choose another Doctor show details Please Choose another Doctor
by Missy on Jun 18th, 2014

Dr. Unruh removed my Gallbladder. I waited 8 hours to go back for the initial surgery with Dr. Unruh. I was released from the hospital and had to go back to the Emergency room the next day with internal bleeding. I lost 40% of my blood and ended up with a very large Hematoma in my right side. Dr. Unruh was very evasive and would not take the time to explain what was happening. On my follow up he tried to avoid my questions and was always in a rush to get out of the room. His bedside manner is terrible and he has a temper. I am seeking medical attention elsewhere for the complications from this surgery. I would NOT recommend Dr. Unruh for any of your surgical procedures.

Abdominal bloating and belching and gassy show details Abdominal bloating and belching and gassy
by Mrs. Esparza on Jun 24th, 2013

Dr. Unruh met me for an acute appendicitis in summer 2011. My husband started to experience frequent abdominal pain late 2011. We had already been to a gastrointestinal dr. With no correct diagnosis I made him an appointment with Dr. Unruh turns out it was his gallbladder. Which he had removed in 2011. Now summer 2013 I have been having abdominal discomfort and pain. Appt with Dr. Unruh on a Thursday. Sonogram on Friday. Follow up visit Wednesday. We are expecting my gallbladder to be the cause.

Butchered me and I am lucky I don't have an ostomy bag! show details Butchered me and I am lucky I don't have an ostomy bag!
by Sonja Brekke-England on Jan 4th, 2010

The only positive thing I have to say about the whole experience was the caring that his nurse Sandra showed. Dr. Unruh started out doing a hemmoroidectomy, and messed that up. I ended up back in the hospital to have him slash a fistula open and leave it exposed as if it were a filleted pork chop! He thought he would do some more surgery, but I thought not. I went to a different surgeon in El Paso and he asked "who butchered you?" He did the repairs needed, and told me not to let anyone do anymore surgery because the previous dr. had cut so much of the anal spinchter that if I had any more scar tissue removed I would be incontinent. I would end up with an ostomy bag.Dr. Unruh's bedside manner was bad as well. When I was in the hospital, he came in while I was eating and when I told him I was hurting he tried to move the bedside table. Apparently it didn't move fast enough for him because he jerked it and my breakfast flew all over me and the floor and he left without seeing me!

Awesome Doctor!!! show details Awesome Doctor!!!
Aug 7th, 2008

I recently had major surgery with Dr. Unruh and couldn't be more pleased. I walked into his office believing that my surgery was going to be significantly more minor than what was required. (I feel that a previous doctor misled me.) When Dr. Unruh described what my surgery would entail, needless to say, I was in shock. He handled all of my pointed questions and comments with patience and care. When I advised that "I just can't get my head around this and it needs to make sense to me." He was quick to offer setting up a second opinion and gathered information for me to read up on. In the days before surgery, I called his office with multiple questions--all of which were handled by Nurse Sandra (awesome! awesome! awesome!) in a timely manner with patience and empathy. The surgery went smoothly and my recovery is progressing quickly. I am impressed with Dr. Unruh's patience, expertise, skill and attention to detail. I would recommend highly him to anyone and wouldn't hesitate--should I need surgery again--to have him operate on me.