Overall Review

December 20th, 2013
Good Doctor
Dr. Houk is a very good Doctor. I would describe him as Old School, with a philosophy and bedside manor from my Fathers time. Patients aren't numbers, they are people to Dr. Houk. He spends enough time to collect history and examine my condition. He talks with his patients. He looks at my health with a hollistic view, recognizing that my health is affected by what I eat, events in my life, exercise and many other factors. He looks to science and good studies based on the scientific method to recommend lifestyle choices (exercise, eating) and treatment plans. He is still reading and explanding his professional knowledge (the amount of this varies among doctors and it's a significant time burden on them because we are discovering so much new knowledge about humans, diseases, medicines, nutition, etc). He tries to follow the latest and best accepted treatment practices (these improve outcomes). I would highly recommend him to anyone looking for a new internist. My evaluation is based on patient experiences, a science education, and growing up in a medical family. Routine dinner conversations at my house contained long anatomy and disease names that I didn't understand or remember. I learned not all doctors are created equal, but class rank isn't the main differentiator. I learned what good health care consists of and that treatments can contain risks (side affects) as well as benefits (healing) that should be balanced.

April 11th, 2012
My whole family loves Dr. Houk!
Dr. Houk has been treating my husband and me for ongoing health problems for about ten years now. He's also treated other members of my family. He has a holistic approach and emphasizes preventive care. He always looks for the simplest, easiest solution to the problem instead of pushing pills or palming us off on a specialist. He is a walking encyclopedia of nutritional information. He really cares about his patients. Finally, he has a great sense of humor.

May 31st, 2011
A Truly personal experience
I have been a patient of Dr. Houk's since 2009. I can honestly say I have never met a more knowledgeable physician, he truly cares for each and every one of his patiens. Dr. Houk has a small office with a wonderful staff who also take the time to know you personally. The wait time is always short and Dr. Houk personally handles each and every aspect of the visit from vitals to discussing the reason for the visit. I always felt comfy discussing any issue with Dr. Houk. He is a patient advocate and has helped me in many in times of need. I plan on keeping him as my PCP until I move away from Maryland!!!

April 14th, 2011
Not just a number!
I was a patient of Dr Houk for several years before moving from Maryland. I have returned back to Maryland and Dr Houk is my PCP again. I can honestly say, he knew me well. He spent time treating me with a holistic approach. I was once 250 lbs heavier and I never felt judged by Dr Houk or his staff. He remained supportive and recommended various treatment methods to assist in my weight loss. After many failed attempts, I had gastric bypass. Nine years later, I remain successful with my weight loss. Some of my success I attribute to Dr Houk. He contributed to building my self-esteem by telling me how strong I was carrying the excess weight, emotionally supported me through an abusive marriage which I later found strength to divorce. I can remember Dr. Houk telling me "If you consider reconciling, call me." He was truly concerned about my safety and well being. Dr Houk has superior "bed side" manner, accessible and appointments are available without a long waiting period . Dr Houk continues to stay current with evidenced base practice and informs his patients with these findings.On a funny note, Dr Houk will spend so much time with his patients that his office staff has to give him a tap on the door to wrap up with that patient.Surely you will never feel like your just a potential "dollar"

March 5th, 2009
Dr. Houk was only interested in being paid
I needed a referral to a urologist for a kidney stone because I was in so much pain and had been to 2 emergency rooms in 3 days, but Dr. Houk insisted I come into his office in order to get the referral to the urologist, just so he could be paid for the office visit. This was totally unnecessary since I had just been to the ER, and even my insurance company agreed. He also tried to get me to pay $75 for "administrative fees" and I think my refusal to pay this resulted in his actions regarding the referral noncompliance.