Dr. Thomas Abel MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

2.6

July 6th, 2014
Definitely Not Recommended
Unhelpful, uncaring and woefully out of date with his medicine. Provides the most minimal of diagnostics and treatments. Treatments provided were aimed at covering up symptoms rather than preventing future joint damage. I spent months trying to work with him and it was a huge waste of time and money. He's also arrogant and can be rude. I would be okay with his personality deficits if he actually provided me with a diagnosis or, at the least, some reasonable treatments. If you want at good attempt at an accurate diagnosis, a doctor who knows his medicine and you want reasonable treatments that will work to help prevent future joint damage, I cannot recommend this doctor. If you want inadequate treatment, an uncaring doctor and you enjoy being treated dismissively, this is the guy for you. Overall, I think he just needs to retire and the sooner the better.

October 14th, 2013
Cannot Recommend
Dr. Abel seemed very disinterested in helping me. He was pretty dismissive of my symptoms, didn't listen to what I was saying and jumped to conclusions. When the treatments he gave me didn't help, he didn't seem interested in trying something else. What treatments he did want to prescribe were those which would cover up the problem (cover up the symptoms) and not anything that would treat the underlying problem and prevent future joint damage. His understanding of medicine seems very out of date and I think he could use some serious continuing education both in general medicine and in rheumatology. Overall, I spent several months trying to work with him and get some help and it was just a frustrating waste of my time and money. He did very minimal diagnostics (and didn't seem interested in working to provide me with an actual diagnosis) and provided me with minimal, ineffective, treatments. Finally, I have to say that I just didn't like him as a person, either. I found him to be pretty arrogant and rather rude. I'd be okay with those personality deficits if he actually provided me with a diagnosis and did his best to treat me, but, he didn't. Overall, I would not recommend him as a doctor.