inactive

Thomas E Ahlering MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

July 8th, 2015
He is an A plus doctor. They do not come anymore qualified or dedicated than Dr. Ahlering.

June 14th, 2015
The best of the best
Excellent surgeon and professional in all aspects. Dr. Thomas Ahlering has done close to 1500 robotic surgeries. He knows his stuff and takes pride in his work. His staff is top notch and very caring. I would highly recommend him. I had surgery 10 days ago and all is going very well with my recovery. I'm off all medications and everything is working just as they were prior to surgery. I am very thankful to Dr. Ahlering and his staff.

February 13th, 2015
Exceptional Results
After considerable research, including the prospect of using proton treatment, I elected to use Dr. Alhering to treat my prostate cancer. I was impressed by every aspect of my pre and post-op. What was absolutely amazing is that I was pad free (no leakage) only one day after removing my catheter. Now, only 10 days since surgery, my prospects for having normal sexual function already looks good. It could hardly get any better than that. Great job, Dr. Ahlering.

December 23rd, 2014
former patients, wife and husband
Very personal, genuine and fully talked about the positive and negatives of prostatic surgery. He has done many, a leader in robots and teaches all over the world, with patients who fly in from other countries. A teaching hospital, UCI we've been overly impressed with, saying something because my wife has worked Hoag Presbyterian, St Joesephs in Orange, Good Samiritan LA and many others. We have seen others Doctors here and find Dr. Alhering and associate and UCI the hospital of choice.

December 2nd, 2013
Two Years Ago
Two years ago at age 53 I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. My local urologist only seemed to care that one of his colleagues in his medical group treated me. He set an appointment for me to see a radiation guy without asking me how I felt about proceeding. I had a really bad feeling about letting this guy dictate how I was going to address my treatment. To make a long story very short, I was severely psychologically impacted by the diagnosis, as most men would be. My wife was very helpful with the research. We considered some of the other high profile doctors in NY and Detroit, but chose Dr. Ahlering because of his experience and his positive outcomes. When I first called his office, Lydia was a very calming influence on me, very empathetic and extremely efficient as well. We drove up from San Diego for a consultation, after a long and very detailed one we knew that we had made the right choice. The surgery went well, I left for home the next day. The follow up was excellent and I had a relatively speedy recovery. I did have more urinary issues than most due to a very strong bladder, and return to sexual function didn't return for about 9 months and has continued to improve since then, things are now working quite nicely. Do I think I was somehow misled as some recent media coverage would indicate? Absolutely NOT! I am convinced that I got the best care possible and I would make the same decision again if I had it to do over. My biopsy indicated a Gleason score of 7-8, my lab report after surgery said it was actually a 9. Margins were clean and Dr. Ahlering said I was quite lucky under the circumstances, and I believe him! Let me add my voice to the debate about whether PSA testing and biopsies are valuable, I say they are very valuable and disagree with the critics. I'd rather err on the side of caution. Post operation follow up has also been excellent!

August 16th, 2013
Great Doctor, Great Staff, Just ...Great People!!!
I’m a 52-year-old male who was recommended to Dr. Ahlering by a family friend who was a student of his while attending medical school at UCI. After having my PSA move from 1.9 to 3.9 in 6 months AND having a family history of PC , I didn’t want to take any chances—I wanted the best medical care I could find! First of all let me start with his staff—Ana Rodriguez ( who is Doc’s executive assistant) was such an advocate for me and so empathetic to what was going on with my health that I truly believe that she was as happy as I was when I received my final results! And then there’s Dr. Ahlering’s nursing staff (….I’m remised that I can’t remember this particular nurse’s name…..I do remember her telling me that her husband is a big football fan) , this particular nurse in the middle of my biopsy ( I guess seeing how stressed-out I was) started to massage my feet…..note: she didn’t have to massage my feet or touch me all , she was in the O.R. to assist the doctor,—yet to this day her actions might be the single most appreciated act of kindness that any stranger has ever done for me! Hey, when you have someone sticking medical instruments up your rectum searching for cancer, it kind of nice to have someone willing to go beyond the call of duty to help you get through things---I don’t know her name, but she’s an angel to me! I knew going in to see Dr. Ahlering that I’d be hard-pressed to find a better surgeon….that was true. However, after several office visited I came to the conclusion that he might be one of the most considerate and kindest human being I ever met—it’s not often, but every once in while you meet people who are just exceptional human beings. Had Dr. Ahlering become a plumber , schoolteacher or supreme court judge he would still be driven to be the most competent guy in his field, give his customers/students the straight talk on what’s going on and see everyone as an individual. I talked to a couple of folks on his staff and a few of his patients in the waiting room and one of them summed things up best when they stated that “Dr. Ahlering is a really good doctor, but he’s a great human being!” I would agree….….. I’m not going to talk about my outcome (because every patient is different) and people tend to thread themselves into blogs and comments of others; don’t believe anything you read on the internet about someone’s else case ---those people are NOT you. I wish you well....good luck!

May 8th, 2013
Experience
From the time I learned my PSA and biopsy condition my intent was to find the best doctor to treat the problem. I found Dr. Ahlering by searching local hospital capabilities and referrals. He and his staff are highly professional, helpful, and expertly skilled. I wanted a less invasive surgery and did not want to be all carved up to add to childhood surgery scars. The robotic system sounded like the right choice. My family doctor just saw the results and was in awe to see how well prostate surgery could be done. Yes, this is a tough deal to go through, but the support and results are far better with Dr. Ahlering and his staff than what I worried I would experience. If you have a question there is someone to call. Four weeks after surgery I was back to work at 90% capability. At six weeks I was traveling for work. At 10 weeks I am at 100% capability at work. Also carefully and modestly reentering exercise activities of spin class, road bicycle riding, walking, and some swimming. There is still a ways to go before I am really fully healed but the results and future are very encouraging.

February 24th, 2013
The Right Choice for Prostrate Surgery
Great doctor, great staff. I was his patient 1270 for robotic surgery and he did a marvelous job. I was back to work two weeks after surgery. Things are on track. No one likes to face this kind of surgery, but you can have complete confidence in Dr. Ahlering. He knows his stuff. Choose him and you don't have to worry.

April 3rd, 2012
An outstanding Doctor and individual!
Dr. Ahlering and his team are the gold standard for professionalism and patient care. They assisted me in every manner in dealing with my cancer and obtained the best result possible from my surgery. I cannot say enough positive things about my experience.

August 29th, 2011
Remarkable Surgeon
I visited two cancer centers and met with their top Urologists before meeting with Dr. Ahlering. While the other doctors were very good and impressive, Dr. Ahlering was by far the best: very attentive to my needs and concerns, extremely direct, clear and rational. I cannot recommend him highly enough. The only reason that he is not rated all 5s is that getting an appointment with him is a little difficult because he is in so much demand. Impressively, he surrounds himself with a team that is nothing short of excellent. On top of that the UCI Medical Center is the best I have ever experienced.

July 13th, 2011
Questionable integrity
Dr. Ahlering was rude and arrogant. He offered an invasive surgical procedure that was unnecessary.

April 15th, 2011
Remarkable Surgeon
With deep gratitude, we provide this review. Dr. Ahlering's reputation as an excellent surgeon is well deserved. He, and his staff, are warm, sensitive, competent, and utterly supportive in a highly emotionally charged time. In each meeting with him, whether pre-op or post, he was unhurried in his responses to our questions, provided clear answers regarding diagnosis, prognosis, and post operative care. Recovery following surgery was simply remarkable, including a five and a half mile walk on day six following surgery. We attribute that to Dr. Ahlering and the capable staff at UCI Medical Center, which, by the way, is the best facility we have ever encountered. We traveled a great distance to be under the skilled care of Dr. Ahlering. It was the right choice.