Dr. Thomas Burnstine MD Patient Reviews

3.4

• Good
  • Bad

December 22nd, 2015
I was a patient in Condell feeling like I had had another TIA but it was dismissed. Unknown to me Dr. Bernstein scheduled a c.f. scan for that night and a mri for the following day. He was very engaging explaining that the symptoms I had at home and on the way to the hospital sounded like Ischemic stroke. I agreed. I will be making a follow up appointment tomorrow.

October 20th, 2015
When he came to my room to examine me, he ddi a strange thing. I have worked in the medical field for more than 32 years and have a pretty good idea about procedures. He set his medical bag down and withdrew some medical instruments. He presented two small mallets and a stethoscope. To check my reflexes he used the triangular mallet and taped ONCE on each knee and each elbow. I was under the impression that this was done to check reflexes. My legs were outstretched on the bed and not in a position that could successfully check reflex. It seemed to be just going through the motions to show that he was doing something?

February 10th, 2015
15 years with M.D.
What can I say? First, most of the reviews are dead-on: PERIOD. Some may have a knee-jerk reaction to his bedside mannerisms and be quick to call him arrogant. I would say these individuals are the type whom hold up traffic via cell phone use. He is very soft-spoken, listens diligently, and treats me with compassion (in his own way). By no means is this extraordinary Doctor arrogant or rude (just to clear that up). He is not one to chit-chat or warm and fuzzy etc. He is however, literally, the best of the best. He has worked with me for years upon years to find the right balance of medicine and is so knowledgeable it is scary. Off the top of his head he can catch a Rx issue and if not he will check right then a there. He is willing to work with me with e.g. sometimes stupid questions I formulate from information found on the internet. If your are broken he will fix you if it can be done to cut to the chase. I owe the last 15 years to him. His staff Christy and Tina are the best as well. Thank you all.

January 2nd, 2014
great medical detective
I owe a lot to Dr. Burnstine. I have a rare medical condition called CIDP. Data shows that only one out of 100,000 people develop this condition. Dr. Burnstine was able to diagnose and prescribe the right treatment. He had to work with my primary Dr. and communicate with him on how and where to treat me, In addition, when it appeared that I was having an allergic reaction to the treatment, he immediately sent me to an allergist to figure out how to give me the treatment without an allergic reaction. Dr. Burnstine has always had a decent bedside manner when treating me. I am also being treated for depression. When I was having some serious psychiatric problems with my daughter, he gave me some good advice and suggestions on what to do -though my daughter was not a patient. Dr. Burnstine is not a warm and fuzzy type of Dr,. but he is not a cold fish either. His greatest goal is to diagnose and treat your condition. He really is like the typical genius-not a great people person but if you want medical answers see him. I like to say Dr. Burnstine is the man if he can't diagnose you no one can.

September 12th, 2013
Very good doctor
I would recommend this doctor. He is very knowledgeable and makes room for you if you need to see him soon. I have a sister who has stage 4 brain cancer. Dr. Burnstine was the only doctor who raised the red flags about her condition early on. He viewed an MRI scan of her brain and while other doctors ( both at Condell Hospital and even the Mayo Clinic) thought the images only showed a burst blood vessel due to high blood pressure, Dr. Burnstine said that it could be a tumor. Turns out he was right because 2 months later my sister had to have emergency brain surgery to remove part of the tumor. As for myself, I have struggled with chronic migraine for 3 years. Dr Burnstine is the only local doctor who has been willing to methodically work with me to find the right meds and doses. Further, I had a weird case of Bell's Palsy (due to a bee sting and infection) that appeared when I was on vacation in Arizona and when I called him from there, his staff put me through to him (he was in the office with patients), and he helped me. Overall, I trust Dr. Burnstine. He has been right when other docs have been wrong and he has been willing to work with me both for my headaches and Bell's palsy. Other comments on this website mention his lack of personality or bedside manner, which is true to an extent. He does seem a bit shy and doesn't chit chat. But I don't go to a doctor to socialize. I go to get help, which he offers professionally and effectively.

September 11th, 2013
Dr. Burnstine has proven himself to be incapable of diagnosing & treating neurological conditions. After several referrals for tests, he told me that he could not use the information from the test results for diagnosis or treatment. When I asked questions, he rolled his eyes and interrupted by exclaiming 'oh God' because he didn't want to explain why he wasn't able to use the test results for diagnosis and treatment. I told Dr. Burmstine that his reaction was inappropriate and unprofessional, and left the office in tears and refused to pay the co-pay. I will be filing a report with the AMA, all doctors are licensed through them.

July 2nd, 2013
Attentive Listener
I found Dr. Burnstine to be a great listener and extremely helpful. I have Narcolepsy and he's been wonderful in treatment and various questions. He's a really great Dr.

July 23rd, 2012
12 years With Doc.
This doctor, if you have done any research, it as smart and as knowledgeable as they come. Period. Doc. Burnstien does now his "stuff". If you are ill or need help he can fix you, if you can be fixed.You must be able to deal with the standard items that accompany a 'type A'.First, he is all work no play; he couldn't care less about anything that doesn't have relevance to your condition.Office staff is hard to reach.He seams to be overworked e.g. forgetting to refill scripts or incorrectly writing them.On the otherhand, will go out of his way to help.Bottom line. It does not matter if your mechanic is nice and sends you a card on a holiday, but if your brakes work he is your Doc.If a mistake is made, question it. But overall his knowledge and ability are worth it.

June 27th, 2012
Not happy with Dr. Burnstine. no bedside manner more concerned with putting info in his computer than listening to the patient. Staff very nice but that is it. Did not help my daughter and was a waste of our time. made us feel very uncomfortable in his office.

April 25th, 2012
Lake County Appreciative Patient
Dr. Burnstine is an excellent Neurologist and his staff is helpful as is he. He is careful in reviewing your medication and checks before giving you anything that might not agree with meds you are already takind. HE LISTENS TO YOU and this is so important as not many Doctors do. I can't say enough about his staff who are always willing to work with you. Dr. Brunstine will to walk that extra mile to help and not many Doctors would do this. Truly a great person, and physician. M

February 21st, 2012
I found this doctor very arrogant and uncompassionate. He lacks personality. When I left my second appointment, I vowed to myself that I would never return! He may know his stuff, but he totally lacks warmth!!!!!

April 6th, 2011
Great doctor, would recommend to anyone
Dr. Burnstine is the first neurologist who could help me with my migraines. He explained things to me much better than previous doctors and was a good listener. His staff was very friendly and were very helpful when I was having an insurance problem.