Orthopedic Surgeons, Surgical Specialist

University of Virginia
545 Ray C Hunt Dr
Charlottesville, VA 22903
434-243-5440
Locations and availability (1)

|  show details
by Karen E. on Mar 26th, 2014

Great doctor! Would recommend to family and friends.

|  Needs a bit more bedside manner  |  show details
Apr 15th, 2012

Dr. Brown has done both a THR and TKR on me, the hip in 2004 and the knee just this year. His knowledge in diagnosing is excellent, followup excellent, but I feel he's quite abrupt, not rude mind you, just abrupt and doesn't normally spend more than a few minutes with patients. I know the reality is he's a busy doctor, and I suppose if I had to pick between good bedside manner or knowledge & diagnosing, I'd truly pick the latter, but it really would be nice to have both!Overall, however, I'm content with the surgeries he's done on me.

|  Awesome Doctor!  |  show details
Oct 5th, 2011

I had a TKR in Feb. 2010 by a different surgeon which turned out to be a terrible experience. That doctor blamed me for not improving, not working hard enough in physical therapy, and over-using my leg. In reality, I had the wrong components in my knee, (I have loose ligaments) and one of the components was loose. Luckily, my primary care doctor referred me to Dr. Tom Brown at UVA who is a fabulous surgeon! I first saw him in Nov. 2010 and he put me in a medial unloader brace to help my leg stop buckling which in turn stopped my falling. Next, he correctly diagnosed the problem and encouraged me to get a second opinion, which is rare for a doctor. After I did that and everyone was in agreement, we scheduled my revision surgery for Aug. 2011. Dr. Brown did a fabulous job! He has been with me every step of the way, encouraging me and answering all of my questions. He is very patient and is readily available. He explains everything. Prior to my surgery, I watched the procedure on ORLive.com where a surgeon that Dr. Brown had worked with previously, operated with the exact components that would be used during my surgery. Great idea, Dr. Brown! You are the best! Thanks, Nancy S.

|  Dr Brown gave me back my life  |  show details
Aug 16th, 2011

After several years of discomfort and countless visits to physicians to be told due to my age I was not a candidate for TKR, at my insistance I was referred to Dr Brown. What a change in my life. I had previously had 2 successful reconstructions including grafting of ACL and PCL but due to time and activity my knee deterioration was excessive and beyond repair. And although I was not the typical age of a candidate for TKR, Dr Brown treated me with respect and as an individual and successfuly replaced my knee. I have returned to activities I had not been able to do for over 2 years and often surprize myself when I accomplish activities I never thought I would even attempt again. Dr Brown cared enough to use his talents and skills to see me as a person and provide me the medical care I needed. I am so fortunate in having Dr Brown as my physician.

|  Great Doctor!  |  show details
Feb 8th, 2011

I was referred to Dr. Brown by another orthopedic surgeon because I didn't seem to be improving after I had total knee replacement last February. My first visit with him was in November. I thought that he was very thorough, extremely nice, and spent quite a bit of time with me. He ordered an unloader brace for my knee to see if that would help. I returned for my follow-up visit last week. Again, he was very thorough, kind, and spent close to an hour with me. He explained exactly what the problem is, the surgery that will need to be done to correct it, answered my questions, encouraged me to get more opinions, and was just terrific! I think the world of Dr. Brown and have already referred several of my friends to him. I'm sure he will do a great job with my surgery.

|  WASN'T OLD ENOUGH  |  show details
Dec 29th, 2010

I feel because I was not over the age of 50, he didn't feel my situation was worth looking at! I'm a 49 year old women who has bone on bone in both knees. He told me to get a book and read or ride a bike, that my activities of walking, playing tennis (doubles) and water-skiing were out of the question. My expectations were way to high, maybe so, but walking without pain would be something!!!! He burst into the room and said that I was way to young to be here and that my knees were shot, no kidding that's why i'm here....... So I'm not a big fan of Dr. Brown,