Family Practitioner, Primary Care Doctor

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
Aug 9th, 2016

I have been a patient of Dr. Sutton for over 15 years. My parents saw him, so I followed. My daughter saw him since birth. There was 1 time, insurance did not pay for 2 visits of hers. I was not aware there was even a problem, until she needed to be seen for her breathing issues. I was informed that I owed $150 before they could see her. This was paid that day. I asked why I was not notified, they said that I have been dodging them! I recieved no phone call or letters. I have had the same number for 15 years! I asked why there was a balance, they said that insurance denied the claim. I called her insurance, she has 2, the problem was the coordination of benefits. I had changed 2 years prior and Dr. Sutton's office had not changed it in their system. I then called them back and explained that the insurance company will cover her for those visits, they just need to be filed again. They refused to file the claims again saying they did not have to since they already have been denied. I explained that I clarified with the insurance company and they are waiting for the claim so they can pay. They said they have done enough for me and will not resubmit the claim and I would have to. I did. The next week, I recieved a letter stating that my daughter can no longer see them and therefore my family had been "fired" as clients. I know insurance had paid them for the $150 bill, I have yet to recieved a refund. The manager was not professional and rude saying that I refused to call them and dodged my bill for a year. And it was all my fault that i didn't pay. (Which I did as soon as I knew of the balance! ) And that I should be thanking them for not sending them to collections. They no longer care about people, only the money.

Worst Experience Ever!!! show details Worst Experience Ever!!!
by Helen on Oct 21st, 2015

If you want to ruin your medical practice hire Dr. Sutton's & Dr Merkey's new office staff!!!! My family had been patients of Dr. Sutton since 1998 and while there had been a few gaps here and there due to changes in health care plans, Kids not being sick and getting sports physicals at the high school we had always great service and the staff was fabulous but that is not the case anymore. We arrived early for our 9:30 appointment and immediately turned in all of the complete new/updated patient forms and United Health Care Insurance Cards. The youn g lady at the front desk said she would have to verify our coverage. I explained to her that if she had any issues verifying online that she would need to call the toll free number on the back of the card. We knew this having gone through it with Mercy Gilbert Medical Urgent Care and Medical Center. When she called us back up she stated that the person she spoke with would only guarantee that we are part of United's "Choice Plus" Network but could not guarantee payment, basically the standard script however, when I checked with them after leaving Associates In Family Medicine, Untied Health Care representatives stated that NO ONE from ASSOCIATES IN FAMILY MEDICINE CALLED ANY OF THEIR OFFICES ON our Behalf!!!!! To make a long story shorter, this young lady at the front desk called us back up and wanted to make sure that we understood that she couldn't get them to guarantee over the that they would pay. I told her that we would except full responsibility for the bill, that we had already meet all of our deductibles for the year, did not have a "co-pay". Well that obviously wasn't good enough. After her fourth time "explaining that we might be liable" and asking if would like to cancel our appointment in front of a full office, we asked if she would feel better that we would be happy pay at the time of service and submit the bill to United ourselves but to please stop explaining it to us over and over again in front of a full waiting room. We sat down and 45 minutes later, having watched 3 people who had appointments scheduled after us get called back to see Dr. Sutton, my son approached the desk to ask how much longer, we were asked to go back to a patient room where another staff member came in and started the "there seems to be a problem" speech. We explained that there was a problem with the way her front office handled the situation but that we didn't have an issue regarding the insurance and again stated we would be happy to pay at the time service. While we can't speak for other insurance plans, it was clear that Dr. Sutton's NEW staff, does not want to deal with United Health Care!!!! Not even United Health Care Patients who were willing to pay in full at the time of service and submit their own claims to United Health Care and will go to extreme lengths to have United Health Care Patients not be seen by Dr. Thomas Sutton & Dr. Richard Merkley or any other representatives of Associates in Family Medicine. If Associates in Family Medicine doesn't want to accept Insurance Plans they should not promote that they accept them. If they are too busy to see old patients or accept new patients then they shouldn't book appointments!

Knowledgeable, Professional, Patient, and Kind show details Knowledgeable, Professional, Patient, and Kind
Aug 9th, 2012

I wouldn't trust the care of my family to anyone else. From my young ones, to myself and my husband, to my 87year old mom - every one of us has the same opinion of Dr. Sutton - he's the greatest!

Diabetic show details Diabetic
Aug 15th, 2011

Dr. Sutton spends the time with you but can't seem to get a diagnosis. He just can't seem to get it right. I changed doctors and found out I am diabetic. That should not be that hard to figure out.I liked him; but, he just doesn't find anything wrong with you unless it is a cold or the flu or something basic like that.I thought the office was good but I know now he was missing things. I was glad I moved and had to change doctors.

Diagnostic skills show details Diagnostic skills
Apr 16th, 2011

Dr. Sutton has not diagnosed 4 different problems I had.Says he takes Medicare patients; but tend not to treat.

Love Dr. Sutton! show details Love Dr. Sutton!
Jan 18th, 2011

My family's been with Dr. Sutton's current office for 20 years... even before Dr. Sutton came along. We had two different doctors before Dr. Sutton. We requested a change about a year or so ago. What a difference! We love him! He's personable, he'll spend time explaining things to you, he's funny. My kids don't give me a hard time about going to the doctor now.

Oct 26th, 2010

Dr Sutton is the best in the Valley!!!!

Awesome Doctor show details Awesome Doctor
by A on Jun 17th, 2010

He always has suggestions for me and knows where and when to refer me on to specialists. I have seen him for the last 4 years and really think he is the best PCP I could have asked for. I saw a specialist for a condition I had and he commended Dr. Sutton on his ordering of tests. He said typical PCP's have no idea what to look for but Sutton did much better than most.

Apr 29th, 2009

Dr. Sutton has provided our family care for many years and is great. Personable and professional!