Dr. Thomas Kelly MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

2.6

August 19th, 2015
Cataract Surgery bad result Jan 2014
My husband had cataract surgery by Dr. Kelly on one eye and it went O.K., so I went for a checkup and was told cataract surgery would really help me see clearer. One eye at a time. I had one eye done and right after, I began to see wiggly lines etc, when I went to see him, he quickly sent me to a retinal specialist. it seems I had a dry macular degeneration that was not detected by Dr. kelly, and pretty much lost my central vision at that time. I have now been under the care of a retinal specialist; shots in my eye monthly, probably the rest of my life as I now have the wet macular in the operated eye and the dry type in the unoperated eye. I was told my cataracts were very mild by another doc and will not be having the second cataract surgery done by anybody. Seems Dr. Kelly missed that I had macular degeneration altogether, or I never would have had the first eye done. He made it seem that my cataracts were bad, and now the other eye is the eye I can read from, as the surgical eye is pretty much useless and feel he really ruined my eyesight that was not that bad. So u can add that to the list of very dissatisfied patients.

July 30th, 2015
the BEST!!!!

December 27th, 2014
BAD DOC
Bad doctor. Get 2nd opinion before surgery!

April 1st, 2014
Unhappy after 2 Cataract Surgeries on my Mother
My mother had cataract surgery on both eyes. She saw Dr. Kelly 3 times before that and he assured her that AFTER he cataract surgery her sight would be 20/20 or at worst 20/25 or 20/30 with glasses-which seemed reasonable to us. Due to the cataracts-she could not read or see small print on television. She had the surgery-one eye at a time. After getting the glasses, she could NOT SEE any better than before the surgery. We kept going back to Dr. Kelly and he stated it would take some time. Finally, after 6 months-he said my mother's sight would get NO BETTER since she had macula degeneration. He never told us this before the surgery. He claims that she had the macula degeneration in both eyes at the same time as the cataracts. Had we known this, we would have NEVER allowed him to do the surgery. My brothers and I feel that he was disingenuous and deceitful-as all he wanted was the $$$$ from two cataract surgeries. Besides that, after he saw us-he and his staff became abrupt and rude-their dark side really showed up. BEFORE SURGERY-it was all sugary sweet and nice!. Please be careful with this man. Get a SECOND OPINION before surgery-so you don't end up like my mother-crying.

November 25th, 2013
I can appreciate the fact that when I call into Dr. Kellys I am given a few options into which I am able to schedule. The staff is nice and courteous, they've helped me to understand my insurance information. Dr. Kelly is very informative and spends a good amount of time with you. I'm very bothered by the previous comments towards Dr. Kelly, for he truly is a great doctor. Please dont be discouraged by these negative people and go and see him for yourself.

November 2nd, 2013
Disgusted-Could have been unnecessary surgery
I went to see for cataracts. I had to wait about 35 minutes and the staff was not helpful-very snippy. The doctor was rushed and said I had to have surgery and wanted to schedule in 2 weeks for the first eye. I told him my eyes did not seem that bad as far as blurriness. I was leery of his RUSH to do surgery-so I got another opinion. I did not tell the other eye doctor I had seen Kelly, as I wanted an honest assessment. The doctor graded my cataracts on a scale of 2 out 10 and said it would be a while before I NEEDED SURGERY THAT KELLY said. Boy, I am glad I did not go through with the unnecessary surgery. I think this guy is only out for the $$$-as I have excellent insurance that pays very, very well and he knows it. If you go to him, I would recommend getting a SECOND OPINION before any CATARACT SURGERY. It may turn out-you do not need surgery right away.

September 18th, 2013
Doctor Thomas Kelly
He made the cataract procedure seem very simple. His Bedside Manner and the personal time he spent with me were the best. He is very approachable. I couldn't be happier, and I really like my "new eyes", too.

August 3rd, 2013
Very Unhappy patient
You don't know what this Kelly put me through. I was referred to him by a pain management doctor (who I later found out through my attorney) happens to be his brother-in-law! I have no complaints with the pain management doctor-he was okay. However, this Kelly made my life miserable to the point where I could not see clearly in one eye for almost 9 months. He kept having me come back. It was obvious towards the end that he was clueless on his diagnoses. Finally, I went to another eye doctor-not far from Kelly (who by the way I was originally recommended to see by my family physician-foolish me). This eye doctor was wonderful-professional in every sense of the word, great bedside manner, confidence, and accurate diagnosis. Within 6 weeks my eye was better-but it will never be the same. This is due to the fact that Kelly fooled around so long allowing permanent damage to my eye to set in that occurred over the 9 months I was "being treated" by him. I have two expert opinions on Kelly's poor care-below the standard of care for an eye doctor. I have damages as my work entails detail in small print and symbols and I cannot do it-my wages have gone down. I am trying to avoid disability. My attorney will take over from here and deal with Kelly and his insurance company. My advice to anyone reading this posting is very simple-STAY AWAY FROM KELLY. Your eye health depends on it

March 30th, 2013
Dissatisfied
I had cataract surgery on my right eye about 3 months ago. My vision is no better,in fact it is worse. My vision is blurry and I cannot seem to focus. I got glasses after-but they did not help. When I first saw Kelly, he was nice as pie. Couldn't be nicer. I was suppose to have the other done 2 weeks later(but fortunately I did not)-as I got the flu and had to postpone it. Since that time-my VISION HAS GOTTEN WORSE. It is not the glasses. Something went wrong during surgery and I can tell as Kelly's personality has changed. He is very defensive when I ask questions. He is not abrupt. I can understand that there are no guarantees-but Kelly had said everything is"just fine" and insists my sight is better.My optometrist who fitted me for glasses-just based on the on eye-even said my sight IS WORSE-as he had the records BEFORE I had cataract surgery. I really believe that Kelly is covering something up or not telling me the whole story. I would not go back to him or have him touch me for surgery again. You would be best advised as previous reviews have said to get another opinion. I would take it a step further and go elsewhere. I have no faith in this doctor any longer.

October 31st, 2012
Macky V
I went to Kelly for cataracts. I had a history of corneal problems,when I lived in Denver. Those were treated successfully. Lived in Las Vegas for 1 year and did not really know where to go. I live near Dr. Kelly's office and saw his sign-Silver State Eye- I thought he was ok to go to, for something like cataracts. First impression-the office had only 1 other person waiting-that should have a tip-off, he is not that busy or popular. But I thought, he might be able to spend more time since he was not that busy. He was running late-waited 35-40 minutes. He really rushed me through. The exam was not thorough, as I had from my eye doctor group in Denver. He scheduled the first cataract right away in weeks. When I questioned him in how my past history of Corneal Surgery might interfere with the cataract surgery, he gave me an answer that was so ephemeral, I could not make any sense of it. To make a long story short, I had a bad feeling and cancelled the surgery one day before it was to be done. PHEW!! Was I lucky-I went to another eye surgeon in a group-nearby for another opinion. First of all, he said my cataracts were very early and I could wait by having them observed to see if they progressed and secondly, he wanted me to see a Corneal Specialist BEFORE any surgery was done. When I told him of my experience with Dr. Kelly(no name mentioned), he just shook his head. What else can I say? This says it all.

July 11th, 2012
Randi
I have read the comments about Dr. Kelly. I did not have a confident feeling about him and his overall practice. I just did not have a good feeling when I walked in the office. I could hear some type of hollering in the back-couldn't tell if it was the doctor or who. I saw several men come out of the office?-they definitely were not patients. They seemed to work for the doctor as he came out with them. The entire ambience of the office was strange and creepy. When I finally saw the doctor, he did not seem too pleased. He was grumpy. Maybe, he was having a bad day, who knows. He seemed rushed and his mind did not seem to be on his work. I have early cataracts. They do not affect my vision whatsover. He seemed only interested in wanting to do surgery on them-one at a time-. I asked him why they needed surgery now-when they do not affect my vision and are very early. He gave my some type of reply that said the earlier the better. I said I would think about it. I left the office. I went to another eye surgeon. I told him about my experience-he just laughed and said that based on my examination, fully dilated-that my cataracts were FAR FROM NEEDING REMOVAL at this time and just to have them watched with yearly exam. In other words, a very conservative approach. I think it would be wise if you see Dr. Kelly and he wants to do surgery-to get a second and even a third opinion before undergoing the knife.

June 23rd, 2012
Milton C
I too have read all the comments about Thomas Kelly MD. I went to him first, before I read this site-only getting him as I live close to his office.After seeing him, I found many of the comments to be true. I don't know about all of them. But, all I can say is, I was very hesitant to let Dr. Kelly do surgery on me-even BEFORE I read all of this. My experience started with the staff that I found to be more concerned with MONEY than actually my medical concerns. While they did seem to be nice, it was one of those ARTIFICIAL SICKENING SWEET niceness-you can tell when someone is sincere.My time with Kelly was very brief-he seemed distant and distracted-as if something else was on his mind. He wanted to schedule me for surgery right away-without even consulting with my internist. I have other medical problems-and my internist who I have been seeing for over 10 years is very closely managing my condition. So a specialist, wanting to do ELECTIVE SURGERY-without even bothering to contact my internist raised RED FLAGS.Anyway, I went to another eye group-where the group has several sub-specialists in different areas of eye care and surgery. I was very pleased with their professionalism and ultimate treatment which is an astounding success.Maybe people below like Charles P., had a good experience with Kelly. I did not and evidently-others did not as well.Two final thoughts.1.) If Kelly is so good and wonderful, I find it strange for him to come on this site and have to defend himself. If he is as successful as he claims, it would not be necessary for him to do that.2.) If you go to Kelly- I would recommend GETTING A SECOND OPINION-from one of the many multi-doctor eye groups in town and judge their overall expertise and office demeanor and ambience against Kelly. The ADVANTAGE to that is you have built in expertise of several doctors VERSUS A SOLO PRACTIONER. After all, more viewpoints are better than one. I think you will find the second opinion to be more detailed and you will and should stay with the second doctor.Thank-you for reading my thoughts.