Dr. Thomas Fehring MD Patient Reviews

• 11 reviews

June 28th, 2016
Nuclear Program Manager
Dr. Fehring replaced both of my knees. I searched for a doctor that was both technically adept on replacement knees and up to date with the latest medical advances. He fit that criteria easily and I walked out the day after surgery - no problems! My postoperative visits with him were thorough and complete. I couldn't ask for better care.

December 9th, 2015
Will NOT GO BACK!
Arrogant and condescending!

October 25th, 2015
Weight Discrimination, Real Jerk
Thomas K. Fehring, MD discriminates against patients with weight problems. Was really disappointed that he could stand before me and state that yes I need hip surgery, but he would not perform surgery until I lose 60lbs. Wow news flash doc, I can't walk, do you think this might be a problem? His office didn't even offer a follow up appointment. Never felt so hopeless in my life.

June 24th, 2014
fake
A SHOW OFF.. would like you to believe he is a god send. but just a want's to be . doesn't have time, his internes do all the work. while he is on the phone telling everyone how good he is. he doesn't won't to see me any more because the surgery was botch. at least 4 trainees did the surgery , after so many problems with his surgery I WENT TO A NOTHER WELL KNOW SURGIAN that I should have went to first . said it's a bad job, the angles were cut wrong on the implant and he cut up mussels making it not rotate correct. this new Dr. said he as a qualified surgeon would not be able to sleep at night knowing that he had to repair these problems. it was to dangerous, the bone could Easley brake off trying to take it loose and recut the angle. and repair the mussel and scar tissue. beware of DR.Fehring. If you don't believe me go check it out for your self.

June 23rd, 2014
Initial and last visit
I waited over a month to be referred to dr fehring. I am a proactive and prepared person. Dr fehring was condescending and arrogant. He would just look at me when I asked valid pertinent questions. I have an osteo arthritis/meniscus tear issue and have been in pain for 3 months. Was basically told I wasnt in that much pain and well do a cortisone shot in your knee and to come back in a couple of weeks if it's not better. So much for seeing a specialist. I have no plan of action or maintenance plan. Didn't even tell me to ice the area for several days etc. Thankfully, I'm not a complete moron even though that's how he made me feel. Then I get an email from ortho carolia after my appointment that says NOTHING about my knee or the shot. Basically, my month-long wait for the appointment and my actual appointment were a complete waste of time. I learned nothing new. I made the mistake of researching only his credentials. Good credentials do not equal a good doctor. It appears that ortho Carolina is only interested in dollar signs and not actually treating patients. They certainly will never see me again.

April 21st, 2014
Hip Replacement
I had surgery with Dr. Fehring in late 2013. Now, into my 4th month postop, I am doing relatively well. If you are looking for guidance postop, you are not going to get it from him. Unless you should have a medical complication after surgery, don't expect your followup with him afterward to be anything more than just a basic "driveby" less than fifteen minute visit. He even told me there was no physical therapy after surgery--HELLO????? Now after going through the operation and recovery, I find that comment from him ridiculous. I am still confused about my restrictions both short term and long term as I expected to get back to doing everything I did before the replacement. Yes my pain is gone, but in many ways I feel this surgery has aged me rather than made me feel my age or even younger as I have always been very active. My next step is seeing a local physical therapist to learn more about what I can and cannot do post hip replacement. You would think after going through this major surgery, one would be able to consult the physician on what to expect as time passes. I got the feeling that he really didn't want to be bothered with questions post op.

January 19th, 2014
Outstanding experience
Dr. Fehring clearly explained my total hip replacement to me and everything went according to plan. I had considerable pain prior to surgery and none after outside of recovering from the surgery itself. He visited me the next day to check on me. The nurses were also outstanding. I will say I'm not the type who needs much cottling so I thought the time and attention from all involved were perfect. Now about 5 weeks later I'm getting around great, no walker or cane. Outside of the surgery scar I'm good as new. Thank you Dr. Fehring and the rest of the staff at Carolina Orthopedic Hospital!

July 15th, 2012
Overall review
Have had both knees replaced by Dr. Fehring and both were excellent experiences.

December 7th, 2011
Highly Competent Physician...Poor Interpersonal Skills
An exceptional surgeon with very poor interpersonal skills and somewhat arrogant and condescending. However, he is an exceptional surgeon. The problem is, he is a mentor to many young surgical residents and interpersonal skills are what make a physician great.

September 13th, 2011
No more pain
Dr. Fehering took my pain away and gave me back my life. I rolled in to the hospital on a Thursday unable to walk and was screaming from the pain had no quality of life. And walked out 3 days later pain free and very very happy. great bedside manner. I have never seen him a bad mood. Dr. are like everyone else they have bad days.Nurses at the hospital are caring and tentative to patient needs. Wouldn't care how long the wait I would wait. Thanks again.

September 4th, 2011
If one is looking for a Dr. with excellent surgical skills, Dr. Fehring fits the bill. If ADDITIONALLY one would want and expect caring communication and direct contact between Dr. and patient- one will be disappointed. Dr. F is entirely TOO BUSY to focus on his patients' pre and post op needs...his avaiability to talk to the patient/family is minimal-at best.