Dr. Thomas Abell Jr MD Patient Reviews

3.3

September 26th, 2016
He is the best eye doctor ever.He saved my Son's sight when no one else found it . I was employed at the hospital for 10 years and he was always number 1

August 8th, 2016
Cataract misdiagnosis/Free evaluation NOT FREE
I recommend you get a 2nd opinion. Free lasik evaluation turned into a diagnosis of cataracts, although no apparent symptoms of cataracts. Was asked to make decision on surgery within 2 weeks so we didn't waste the time already spent on this evaluation. My vision is 20/30 without any glasses. It didn't add up so I got a 2nd opinion. The 2nd opinion doctor was incredulous that I was diagnosed with cataracts and actually guessed who had given me that diagnosis. He said if you shine enough light in a person's eyes you can diminish their vision and Dr. Abell's technician called that glare from my "cataracts". Dr. Abell himself never verified the diagnosis. Scary to think someone would risk my eyes for their own financial gain. When I did not call back, my insurance company was billed for an eye exam, which I had been verbally assured I would not be charged for. You apparently agree to this in all the paperwork you sign at the free lask appointment.

February 8th, 2016
PLEASE READ BEFORE PRK SURGERY
Please read this review if you plan to have PRK surgery. I was told I did not qualify for LASIK by Dr. Franklin. No explanation was provided. I watched a video on the PRK risks and shook his hand and sent straight in to the nurse/receptionist, Bridgette. Without hesitation, without asking if I needed some time to research, or even if I understood the procedure, she asked how I would be paying. Not everyone responds with clarity on the spot. I paid money, scheduled the appointment and before leaving, asked how long I should take off from work. I really didn't even have time to even process that the procedure would not be LASIK. Nurses need to be able to see when caring for patients, you see. I am an ICU nurse. Five days is the response I got from Bridgette, the nurse/receptionist. I took 8 days off to be safe. I am on day 8, I return to work in one day and I cannot see well enough to even drive. I don't have the ability to focus without blurred vision. At my follow up appointment I verbalized my inability to see with frequent headaches and nausea. Dr. Franklin assured me I could get glasses if my vision was no better through the weekend. Today, I call. Conveniently, they do not make glasses there. As well, he did not even assess my "refraction" in the follow up appointment. As a result, I will need to "come back in for a quick check". This seems fine, aside from the fact that my husband is working and I cannot see to drive! Conveniently, this doctor is unavailable tomorrow. I work in health care. I understand risks. I also understand that honesty is key when informing your patients. After reading all the reviews, at least two weeks is the recommended recovery time. Unfortunately, my work schedule is made in advance and was done long before I read reviews. The staff could have saved me a great deal of stress and the safety of my own patients had they just been Honest. Obviously, I would have had the surgery, regardless. That was a quick and done deal, thanks to Bridgette. If you plan to have this surgery, please research it before agreeing or making a payment. And, for the love of God, take at least two weeks off from work, possibly more. DO NOT LISTEN TO THE "You will just need some time for that fine tuned vision" line. My time spent with Dr. Abell was approximately 15 minutes for surgery. He was kind and professional. Yet, your staff is a representation of your practice. If they are dishonest, it will reflect on you. I have never written a review. If this could possibly save someone else the stress and grief, it is worth the time. While Dr. Abell is not at fault, his staff should be accountable in what the education they provide to their patients. It is your money (all of which I paid out of pocket), so make sure you invest wisely.

March 6th, 2015
Exceptional Ophthalmologist!
I have seen many Ophthalmologist and Optometrist in my lifetime however, Dr. Abell is exceptional in his field of medicine. I was candid in the above ratings.

March 9th, 2012
Fortunate
After much research of area eye surgeons and vision corrective surgery Dr. Abell has the experience and the best results in Kentucky. I have been a patient since 1998 and referred many family members and friends who have all had excellent diagnosis and treatment of any eye issue. Dr. Abell and his staff not only explain any eye issues and treatment options, they do it in a way that is easy to understand. You know he's very busy by the scheduling and wait times but you understand once you have an appointment. You're not rushed and he takes his time explaining and answering questions. We are so fortunate that Dr. Abell chooses to be in Kentucky and not in New York