Dr. Thomas Heil MD Patient Reviews

• Good
  • Bad

July 4th, 2017
Pain Medicine
I think our whole Community should understand more about the opioid problem we have in the United States. It's not fair, so many patients were probably in the same boat as myself. I needed them, however, I will say I was on to large of a dose for to long. Now the FDA is cracking down on all Doctors. And they should, for good reasons. With this said I truly believe most Dr.s at SE Pain know their patients and who is truly in pain. And in all the news it's always saying opioids are the start of all heroine addictions. Maybe for some this is right, but I really think most of these Drs know before you walk in the door your history, etc. I am really glad that I am one that has sacrificed my pain in reducing pain medicine about 90% less than I was taking. And I'm with some of you on the idea of throwing shots out there as 1st treatment. When you think this through, the Drs can not push pain medicine to all patients. You have to start some where in treatment. Rather it be shots, PT, or pain medication in lower doses. Dr Heil does come across as being possibly rude, or not showing empathy and I agree. Sorry Dr., however not all Drs are Howdy Doody. We are all different and if you feel you can't get passed this then he is not a Dr. for those looking for a great bedside manner, best to move on. I'm writing this because I've been on both sides of this fence. And I now spend a lot more time at home, or laying down, getting bored to tears because I no longer take opioids and hydrocodone in such high strengths. And at some point they will stop working for you as well. I think a lot of pain patients, that truly live with pain are being grouped with all the dopes that turn to a needle. And we are losing so many lives to all the crazy folks that shoot dope. And that's not fair as well. It makes me as angry as the next person to think anytime I'll need something for pain, another Dr. could look at my chart and put me in this category. I've put off procedures for this reason and it's not because of Drs, it's just my personal fear. I never got a high from my pain medicine so stopping was never a problem. When I was cutting back every month I did not like the physical part it was doing to my body. I tossed everything down the toilet and trust me, I had no idea what was to come. Two horrific weeks, and another 2 weeks of my body and mind still adjusting. Worst part was I threw out xanax! Holy Moses, had I known how valuable those little pills could have been. I'm only trying to help some of you understand what's going on in this World as I had to learn the hard way. I still believe in taking pain medicine when you need it but please, hear me out. Our Doctors are being forced, some taking it to far for those of us that really need it. But we have an epidemic and real crisis going on right now. I hope all of the people that are looking for pain meds don't end up like I did, taking such high doses in the beginning and having no wiggle room. You will end up back at the place you started, when you first came looking for pain medicine. And especially if you are living with chronic pain for the rest of your life. I still live in pain and always will. I don't know the answer to this however I will say, pain treatment centers should be the only Drs to be able to give out any medicine they think the patient needs. It's one place where it's controlled. Also no one should be treated ignorant or with rudeness. Be kind to others, and if some Drs don't have the best bedside manner, you should ignore this. Maybe there's a reason we don't understand and it's our right to check out Drs before we pick one. My final word is that I think everyone out here will suffer because of all the people who start with pills and move on to dope. I don't believe this because most went looking for pills to get high with and not for pain. So I'm right behind all those with pain. We will see big changes and the good folks will suffer. And for any parent to blame pills for their kids turning to junkies I firmly believe those people would end up exactly where they are, shooting drugs! Just like alcohol, some can drink casual, others become alcoholics! It's a chance and professionals that are trained should not deny help for this reason .,,

May 19th, 2017
Has lost his compassion in patient's care
I have never seen a doctor so quickly and had less communication and walked out not knowing what to do or how he was going to help me. He didn't say what he thought what could be wrong, just said schedule for a steroid injection. I called the office when I got home, the office would not answer any of my question..just repeated to schedule the injection. I will never go back there bc he was rude, didn't listen, just came in said to schedule something and walked out. Didn't ask do I have any questions or concerns..the only way I was able to know why he wanted me to get the injection done was the paperwork his nurse gave me. He was completely arrogant and acted like he could not be bothered. It was really disappointing and sad to see a doctor that just lost all bedside manner. I read bad reviews before I saw him but I though oh I will give him a chance. Don't see this dr!! The staff was nice..

May 11th, 2017
Don't waste your time or money
I saw the Dr. for literally 1 min, he said to schedule an injection and that there was no medication that would help you. I spent more time with NP and that was about 3 minutes and I felt that I was not heard nor given a plan of actions. I stated that my pain in constant throughout the day and I literally ended up walking out of the office in tears. This is exactly why I did not want to go to a pain management dr was the last resort for me. Don't even bother. I'm not an addict, haven't even been on any medication in over 6 months but was treated like my pain nor my day to day struggle didn't even matter. I have never spent less time with a dr or have ever dealt with one so rude in my life. And I work in a medical field.

January 13th, 2017
Refused to my treat my husband for chronic pain because he once used marijuana. He was arrogant and unapologetic on this so called policy at SouthEast Pain Clinic.

December 5th, 2016
Dr. Heil didn't shake me or my daughter's hand. He was very short. He spoke to me about my condition like I was ignorant and I didn't know what was going on with my health. When he was through he said he would be right back and he never returned. The office itself was terrible. They were rude and unprofessional. I will never return there again. Terrible horrible service. He doesn't need to be a doctor and he needs to get some people skills. Unprofessional all around.

June 21st, 2016
Terrible
I would not waste time with Dr. Heil. Initially his calm demeanor was believed to be of confidence and assurance, but after an AWFUL experience, I would say it is more indifference and/or lack of competence. After a procedure which he assured would be no problem and would help my condition, I now feel much worse. To make matters worse, he acted as if I was the problem, refusing to accept responsibility or provide additional assistance after his own diagnosis and procedure. The Southeast pain clinic in general unfortunately seems like a money pit for unfortunate souls like myself in chronic pain who feel they have nowhere else to turn. After coming out of pocket over $3.000, feeling WORSE, leaving the doctor stumped as to what to do next, and experiencing poor customer service to boot, please, I beg you, look elsewhere.

April 15th, 2016
This is the worse Dr I even seen. Dr. Heil do not listen to his patients.... Well let me say he did not listen to me as a result caused a minor procedure to go wrong. He didn't not apologize or show empathy. He is extremely arrogant. He lack compassion I and people skills. This Dr. need to learn how to listen to his patients and eat two large humble pies.

March 24th, 2016
Arrogant and doesn't listen to a word you say. Very uncaring and cold.

February 24th, 2016
Great caring Doctor, saw him for pain management
I saw Dr Heil for pain management at SouthEast Pain Management at University. Although he was late getting to see me, I would highly recommend him. He is caring and spend time listening. This was my first appointment and feel at this time we have a plan to hopefully get my pain manageable when other doctors told me to just deal with the pain.

September 6th, 2015
I saw Dr.hiel year's ago many years ago at the kings mt.place. He's a wonderful smart, Dr. And could not just make you a patient, he become a life saver with to hurneated disc,with time physical therapy medicine and some amazing procergers he can Hes a top of the line with what he treats. I also like the fact be just thorws lain meds to you,the have there place, but don't see him just for meds because he's a good honest man that can help you.I'm living proof.

August 27th, 2015
I am pain free. Enough said.

June 24th, 2014
Long Term Pain Management Treatment Fifteen Years!!!!!!!!
There are some pain that can not be fixed! I have had two back surgeries the last one my L-4 and L-.5 disc had my spinal cord and nerves crushed. I could not walk!!!! I had surgery with Charlotte neurosurgery and spine! They are top in the field!!! My Dr.. Is the carolina panther's surgeon! I had rods and screws and bone implanted! I still have many other issues! They recommended strongly that I go back in pain management!! I did not want too. It has been 5 months and boy am I ready!!!!! Be careful not to judge!!! Sometimes medicine is ones only help!!! chronic pain Is mind, body and soul!!! I am waiting on my Doctor to refer me!!! It can not come to soon!!! I have tried it all!!!!! Thank God for Doctors that want to help you function!!!!! There are not enough of them!!!!!! IF you have nerve issues or back pain be safe do not go to an Orthopedic Clinic. Go to a specialist! Someone could paralyze You working on nerves and spinal cord!!!!! Beware!!!! been there done that!!! I have been to Duke, and countless other avenues!!! I am very humble and thankful for pain specialist!! God bless them all!!! Thank You! Hope this Clears things UP!!! I am a chronic pain disabled female!!!!!!!! Hopeless and living in pain. Wish my appointment was yesterday!