Nuclear Medicine Specialist, Psychiatrists

Merrifield
3018 Javier Rd
Fairfax, VA 22031
703-204-9100
Locations and availability (1)

2.5

|  A great doctor  |  show details
Jun 24th, 2013

I work w/ Dr. K as an adult. I have been on a couple dozen meds from other doctors, and he slowly, cautiously help me get on a medication regime where I am largely stable without debilitating side effects. He has been cautious with changes and monitors my medication use closely (particularly the controlled meds), but he has also given me a lot of say in my treatment plan, and is not the sort of doctor who has a "make the medication change or else" attitude; he also has me text him every 2-3 days after a med change or when life is tough. He is also very up to date on the newest findings in psychopharmacology. Bottom line: he does an excellent job walking the fine line between be too controlling on one one end, not keeping a close enough eye on things on the other. On the down side, his office isbincredibly messy, and he looks like the absent minded professor, but he always seems to know what is going on. Also, he sometimes needs a reminder, like a text, to follow through on things like refills discussed at appointments.

Oct 15th, 2012

Dr. K freely prescribes drugs to children in off lable combinations. I was not happy with he approach he was not open to looking non-drug options.

Oct 28th, 2011

Dr. K is a highly regarded doctor for a reason. He has a cautious and conservative approach with the children with meds, putting no pressure on parents and providing ample background info on effects on behavior as well as side effects. He is very caring and is able to make great headway with children who are otherwise difficult in communicating and expressing emotions. Super knowledgeable about the range of children's behaviors and always attentive and helpful in suggesting ways of working with children at home and school. Was recommended to him by other psychiatrists and agencies, and we're so thrilled, as our child has made amazing progress in his care.

|  Former Long Time Patient  |  show details
Oct 11th, 2011

Dr. K is someone I saw for 5 years during my adolescence. He is a very caring doctor and I don't doubt that he wanted to help me, however his diagnosis and manner of medicating me was horrific. He really likes the whole Bi-Polar type 2 diagnosis. At the time (early 2000s) it was very trendy. I am now in my mid 20s and can tell you definitively that I have anxiety disorder and nothing else. He put me on massive doses of anti-psychotics and mood-stabalizers and changed my doses at least once a week. The side effects I experienced were absolutely horrendous. I would understand having to find a way to deal with them if the medications were meant to treat an illness I had, but I don't have that illness. I would ask anyone who sees him to get a second opinion on diagnosis. The things I experienced, which he told me were indications of mania, included: severe akithisia, oculo-gyric crisis and oromandibular dystonia (there are descriptions if you google.) I still have tardive dyskinesia. Please, please be careful with him.

|  Patient; 1 other family member also a patient  |  show details
Jan 13th, 2011

Dr.Doctor is 100% attentive during a visit.His interest is sincere.He is not patronizing; he is helpful.Makes practical, positive suggestions for changing coping behaviors. Teaches patient methods to function in the world in a forward motion & take charge manner facilitating positive and permanant change.Identifies negative behaviors with sensitive,non condescending manner, provides alternatives to current adaptive behaviors that are not working for patient.Always remembers patient's specific work/family situation/dynamics in place so no time is wasted in therapy.Insightful on all developmental/age related/maturation issues for both adults&non-adults.Excellent at family dynamics, dysfunctional family patterns,teen problems,drug/alcohol problems.Highly recommended as a patient and effective physician.

Feb 22nd, 2009

A little scatterbrained, but knowledgeable.