Surgeons
6355 Walker Ln
Ste 202
Alexandria, VA 22310
703-810-5210
Locations and availability (5)

3.0

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
 |  hurting  |  show details
by Sam on Oct 3rd, 2013

He is rude and he hurt me. He is a horrible doc!

|  Dr. Mazahery Is Exceptional  |  show details
by Hilarie Jennings on Apr 8th, 2013

Dr. Mazahery is AMAZING. I have had multiple health issues bothering me for seven months, in addition to my lower back problem, and have seen six other doctors/specialists to figure out what is going on. Dr. Mazahery is the only doctor who started to connect the dots and looked at my conditions from a wide angle lens rather than through tunnel vision. He is very knowledgeable, easy to talk to, and explains medical terminology in layman's terms. For the first time, I felt like someone not only understood me but also genuinely cared about my well-being. THANK YOU!

|  show details
Nov 6th, 2012

I wish I could give Dr. Mazahey a better rating, but I just don't have this feeling that he cares about me as a patient very much.

|  Excellent Surgeon!  |  show details
Jun 25th, 2012

I believe Dr. Mazahery to be an excellent surgeon, caring and compassionate with an excellent bedside manner. I never experienced the other issues with the doctor like the others stated. I will agree the front office staff could use training in tact. The only time I had to wait longer than normal was when a surgery went longer then expected. I don't fault him for that as these things happen. I know because my emergency surgery caused him to run late starting in the clinic. These things happen. But he is a human and not a god with all the answers but in my opinion, I wouldn't trust my spine to anyone else!

|  Highly recommended  |  show details
Jun 2nd, 2012

Dr. Mazahery was great. Unfortunately for me, surgery was not a good option for my spinal condition... but I found him to be caring, empathetic and kind. I am also glad he took the time to explain to me WHY surgery would not really help me... without his honesty, I would have probably undergone a procedure that could have made me worse in the long run. I am thankful that I consulted with him for a second opinion before going under the knife (which is what the first surgeon I saw wanted to do.) Today I run, swim, and bike and my back is doing well. If I'd undergone a fusion, my running days would have most likely been over. Dr. M knows his stuff.

|  Excellent surgeon!  |  show details
by SPG on Jul 22nd, 2011

I say this without having had surgery prior to meeting Dr Mazahery. After he diagnosed my problem, I went for a second and third opinion. I was told by one of those surgeons that I would be in good hands with Dr. Mazahery.He performed the cervical discectomy and when I woke up, the excruatiating pain I had suffered with for several months was gone. I feel fully recovered after 8 months. I was somewhat nervous, but Dr. Mazahery put me at ease. I trust him fully and I'd recommend him to anyone needing back or neck surgery

|  On the Mend  |  show details
Feb 20th, 2011

Referred to Dr. Mazahery by a pain management specialist because of disc herniation. Suffering from really horrible sciatica--couldn't drive, work normally, sneeze, etc. If you've had this, you'll know what I mean. I was pretty much functioning at less than 50%, with extreme pain. I'm two weeks out from a microdiscectomy feeling almost as good as new and continuing to improve. Mazahery was efficient but friendly. None of the weird, not-making-eye contact thing that some medical professionals seem to do. He explained my options and I didn't feel like I was being pushed into choosing surgery. But I'm glad I did. Recovery has been quick, as promised and I feel basically back to normal. Support staff was fine and follow-up seemed reasonable.Thanks for the good work Dr. Mazahery!

|  F.O, 39 year old Financial Analyst who had Laminectomy( lower back surgery)  |  show details
Feb 4th, 2011

Dear Dr. Thomas Mazahery, my orthopedic surgeon Dr. Mazahery, I just want to thank you for your silver sterling services. You did a great job in planning all my referrals for treatment to others medical services before the final decision for surgery (consultation, Pre-op and post -op). I appreciate the informed decision for the surgery and I am happy with the outcome. Your work was highly professional, went without problems and my recovery was a breeze. I am thrilled with my health and I am much happier. It is truly amazing and I have to express my recognition and joy loudly: thank you!!!! . I will not hesitate to recommend you to anyone in need of spine doctor. As I write, I remember that I couldnt walk, sit, stand or even lie flat without excruciating pain. Now I am free of this nightmare I feel like born again. Now I am doing a lot of thing couldnt do before; I have my life back! I absolutely love the treatment results and wish others patient will benefit from your magical touch.I told to relatives, colleagues and friends about the wonderful and positive experience I had being your patient. I have already recommended you an encourage others to recommend you, Dr. Mazahery that I am please to call my doctor, to whom ever is in need of spine related pain relief. You truly have a gift for helping people feel better. You are the best! I take this opportunity to compliment Commonwealth staff for a great team job.Best regards

|  Would recommend  |  show details
Nov 7th, 2010

Althought I waited 3 weeks to get an appointment and then 30 minutes once I got to his office, I found him to be kind and thorough. It was determined that I had lumbar arthritis but he was kind and caring in explaining the issue. Some surgeons just want to do surgery and ignore those who don't need if. Both he and his staff made me feel like I mattered.

|  Great Doctor  |  show details
Sep 23rd, 2010

Great Doctor. He spent a great deal of time going over my diagnosis and all of my treatment options. He answered all of my questions about each option that I had. I tried a couple of months of physical therapy and shots and when they did not work or last, we ended up having an operation. He explained all the risks and benefits in great detail and surgery was successful. woke up with all my pain gone! Great guy and great surgeon. He walked me through the process and I would recommend him to anyone.

|  Inconsiderate, Incompetant, Rude Staff! NEVER AGAIN  |  show details
by RYAN on Jun 11th, 2010

I'm headed to 65 yrs old and have been dealing with terrible back pain in recent months. I scheduled an appointment with this Dr. based on a recommendation. The morning of my appointment I was in incredible pain and anxiously looking forward to my drs visit. I arrived 25-30 minutes early even though I'd already faxed in all of the required paperwork. Upon entering the office, the front desk staff were speaking among themselves (not working). They proceeded to chat among themselves for up to 10 minutes before one of them acknowledged my presence. She looked up and said "I Need your insurance information and yada yada yada". No smile, no hello, just a nasty attitude. I explained that I'd sent the information in. Once again a quick, course response "ok have a seat". I sat alright. I sat for ONE HOUR waiting in tremendous pain, in an ridiculously uncomfortable chair, in an office without a single magazine with a muted TV focused on DIY Farming. I SAT FOR ONE HOUR IN TREMENDOUS PAIN WITHOUT A SINGLE SMILE, HELLO, HE'S RUNNING LATE, THE DR WILL BE WITH YOU SHORTLY, NOTHING. After an hour, I stood to leave. Well that got their (limited) attention. "Where are you going, don't you want to reschedule???" Not an apology, he'll be with you soon... once again NOTHING! After leaving I contacted the office and left a friendly message detailing my experience on the Doctors personal assistants voicemail.. Guess what, THEY DIDN'T ACKNOWLEDGE THIS EITHER.After many years working in a medical office, I have learned that a doctors staff is a clear reflection of him. More over, a staff that is allowed to behave in such a manner, none the less management who completely disregards such a report is most certainly employed by a doctor who cares not about the way his patients are treated. You couldn't pay me enough for me to even consider putting myself in the care of such a doctor.

|  Great Doctor...nothing bad to say  |  show details
by Todd O'Farrell on Sep 21st, 2009

I've had a previous back surgery (almost 20 years ago) and just had another one about six weeks ago. Dr. Mazahery was my orthopaedic surgeon. Not only is he a great doctor with great skills...but he made me laugh and feel comfortable at each and every visit. I now consider him my surgeon and my friend. I'd recommend Dr. Mazahery and Commonwealth Orthopaedics to anyone!

|  I regret others misgivings but I'd recommend him 100%  |  show details
by Jeff on Aug 18th, 2009

I have only the sincerest gratitude toward Dr. Mazahery. Every encounter I've had with him and his staff has been very professional, informative, and cordial. Yes he is a busy doctor but I remember him coming regularly to my hospital bed to check my wounds. I haven't seen my back scar directly but I'm told its has healed incredibly.

|  incompetent  |  show details
by Barbara N. on Jul 23rd, 2009

I was referred by my family doctor. He sat down for 2 minutes and had know idea what was wrong with me. I realize that medical problems can be confusing, but he just walked out. zero bedside manner. Avoid this "specialist".

|  show details
by sam on May 11th, 2009

He is mean and uncaring

|  Never going back  |  show details
by Marsha on Apr 23rd, 2009

Terrible experience. My family doctor sent me to see him. It was a total waste of time. He has no people skills and certainly could not explain my MRI scan. I dont even think he is board certified. I tell everyone I meet to avoid him.