Dr. Thomas Namey MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

September 15th, 2016
Great doctor!
Took more time with me than anyother. Obviously book smart, but amazing clinical skiils. Looked at my tongue and diagnosed B12 deficiency. Looked at my neck and saw a white spot, and told me I might have a thyroid issue. I did, it was Hashimoto's Throiditis. And I was sent to him for a positive ANA, which turned out to be a false positive!

August 7th, 2016
No better arthritis doc, but even more!

July 30th, 2016
good in many areas
Best doc there is. My arthritis in complete control. Now he helping my diet and nutrition. We was a professor of nutrition at UT for years. A bonus!

June 28th, 2016
excellent doctor have been sick for about 10 yrs.. have been to about 4 rheumatologist in Knoxville they haven't done much for me. been seeing Dr. Namey for about 3 months and has taken care of many things...have been misdiagnosed the whole time till seeing him.

June 16th, 2016
Excellent Rheumatologist! I question the validity of some of these negative reviews....
When I decided to see Dr. Namey I was barely able to get around. The pain was miserable and I honestly wanted to die. In an effort to find a diagnosis; I traveled out of state, I saw several specialists, and I had all kinds of tests and procedures. This pain occurred following a ruptured brain aneurysm. Either the hemorrhage triggered a gene for the type of arthritis I have or the Clostridium Difficile Colitis that I obtained in the hospital did. Who knows? He diagnosed me the first appointment. He put me on medication. He confirmed that diagnosis with tests, specifically genetic tests. Over the years that I have seen him I went from barely getting around to being energetic, vibrant and virtually pain free. He has my hormones under control. I'm losing weight. I joined the gym and am even hiking and participating in a boot camp fitness class. In this class I keep up with the men. Having worked in the medical field many years you can bet I thoroughly checked Dr. Namey out. Of course he is board certified. He is so intelligent he could pass the boards with his eyes closed. Also, patients do not sit around discussing one another's diagnosis. There is no way someone can honestly say Dr. Namey diagnoses patients with the same thing. That statement alone makes me question who is writing the review. Personally, I know two people who go there who are diagnosed with two different autoimmune conditions, not psoriatic arthritis. One person I referred myself. The other is a family friend. He spends a lot of time with his patients. He tries to save his patients money. From time to time I get steroid injections there. They work better than any other injections I have had. I don't know what I would do without him. No other doctors compare. One time I even saw an orthopedic specialist. He said "nothing could be done for me" and was so rude. Afterwards I contained myself until I got in the car and then I cried. It was foolish to go there because I have Dr. Namey who never fails me. Don't let these negative reviews keep you from going there. If he puts you on a treatment trust him and stay on the treatment even if you feel queasy at first. It will pass. My medications give me no side effects. The latest and greatest drugs aren't always the best. I've been in remission for years now and am on older and less expensive drugs. My labs are perfect. Know that he will be different from any physician or specialist you have probably ever seen. I enjoy going there. Being different is not always a bad thing. He has never been rude to me. He always listens to me. Sometimes he may talk about things not related to my condition. It's nothing bad. He's just making a connection and I am courteous and listen. Sometimes he may run behind but it's because he actually spends time with his patients. At my previous family doctor he was cutting me off and rushing out the door after 15 minutes. The main thing is I can finally live a normal life. At 45 I feel like I'm 25 again. If I sound protective, I am. I've been seeing him for years now. I know how bad of shape I was in then and how well I am doing now. It's all because of him. It upsets me to see some of these negative reviews because I question the motive of who is writing them. There will be negative reviews for any physician but some are very questionable.

June 4th, 2016
Amazing doc!
Amazing doctor. He can "look" at you and make many diagnoses others miss!

May 31st, 2016
I feel if you read the ratings you can see a pattern of a once highly respectable Doctor becoming less so My experience was not good Took a family member there . He of course diagnosed psoriatic arthritis, didn't listen to patient, spoke about his finances and personal matters. Something seems to be going on with him. Too many blood tests, not enough listening, downing other docs. Felt something wasn't right, refused to take my patient there again.

April 4th, 2016
Not even Board Certified!
Terrible Doctor practicing outside of his scope. He has never passed either his internal medicine or rheumatology boards.

March 16th, 2016
If I had not found Dr. Namey, I would be dead now. I was in so much pain & kept getting misdiagnosed, until I had decided if something didn't change with my pain, I was going to jump off the bridge & end it. Going by his nutrition suggestions, I was able to lose 90 lbs. & go water ski & ride horses again. He gave me my life back.

January 26th, 2016
I am not sure what is going on with Dr. Namey. The last few times I have saw him it's like he really isn't all here. He would completely get off topic about things that weren't of the medical field. I think it's time to find a new Rheumotologist. Has anyone else had this happen?

January 14th, 2016
Great doc!
Remarkable! He took me off of Enbrel for my RA and has me in remission with less costly and safer drugs. It wasn't quick, took several months, but I am much better. Not in the pocket of big Pharma!

January 10th, 2016
Horrible 'Doctor'!
I went to Dr. Namey because of pain due to osteoarthritis in my knees and swelling in my lower legs, ankles and feet. My first appointment he walked in the room, looked at me and 'diagnosed' me without examining me in any way. He said I had diabetes, high cholesterol, and high blood pressure. Wrong on all three! Then he looked into my eyes, felt the back of my neck and then without any more of an examination, he diagnosed me with psoriatic arthritis and prescribed 4 different meds for me to start taking. He barely glanced at my legs when I showed him the swelling. Still, I did as he advised, got the prescriptions filled and began taking them. I Went back month after month with legs swelling more and more. I saw Dr. Namey for 5 months. He did not listen to me at all. I think when he walked in the room the first time and saw I was overweight he just got stuck on that and couldn't move past it for some reason. Every visit he sat and talked about nutrition. He kept pushing an Atkins / Paleo type diet. This is all well and good but I came to him to help with my arthritis and especially the swelling in my ankles and feet. On my 4th month visit he scheduled me to have a 3 hour glucose tolerance test for Hypoglycemia. I had already put in my 'Medical History' and also told him that I had been Hypoglycemic since I was very young. He wanted me to test again. My lower legs, ankles and feet were swelling so much each day that I was afraid my skin was going to split apart. It was very painful! Shortly after my 4th monthly visit I finally did some research on WebMd about the drugs he gave me. Two of them had 'peripheral edema' (lower leg swelling) as known side effects. Also after my 4 month visit I finally went to my family care physician who gave me something for the edema and also found out that I was iron deficient. On my 5th month visit I told Dr. Namey about my family dr. visit and he got very angry. He said, "I already knew you were iron deficient!" I was so surprised as he had never mentioned it to me. I told him that and he said, "Yes, I knew, that is why I told you to eat more red meat!" ;Yes, he did say that. Every visit he pushed an Atkins / Paleo diet so he had mentioned four or five times that I should eat more red meat. Unfortunately he never mentioned that I was iron deficient!! After I researched the medicines he had prescribed me and found several problems with them I stopped taking them entirely. The swelling in my lower legs stopped and I felt so much better. On my 5th and last visit before I could tell him this information he had the results of my hypoglycemia tests which, of course, showed that I was hypoglycemic. He told me the results and said, "See, you are pre diabetic!" I said, "Are you sure, Dr. Namey, because I have been hypoglycemic since I was a little girl." His response to me: "Well you must have been a fat little girl!" Sorry, Dr. Namey, wrong again!! I won't even get into the part about having to pay $60.00 cash every visit even though with my insurance I have no 'co-pay' for office visits. Dr. Namey was recommended to me and I was desperate to get help for my legs. It took me 4 months to figure out Dr. Namey was making me worse, not better!