Neurological Surgeon, Surgical Specialist

3.0

Some ratings provided by Doctor.com. DrScore.
May 12th, 2015

Regina and mother should both be in jail. They are all about money, both are very rude. I personally feel for the Dr having those two around would suck.

Unbelievably rude staff and doctor show details Unbelievably rude staff and doctor
by C. J. on Jan 4th, 2014 on doctor.com

Besides dealing with the incredibly rude staff (or I guess I should say Dr Purtzer's Wife and assistant so nothing will ever be done about her attitud ...

Read Full Review at doctor.com
Putzer is the best! show details Putzer is the best!
by Barb on Nov 29th, 2013

Before I found Dr. Purtzer, my pain was controlling every aspect of my life. I couldn’t get out of bed, couldn’t stand or walk for more than 5 minutes. I was overwhelmed with pain and could not think strait. I have been to almost every doctor and orthopedic surgeon in Oregon. I was searching for a human first, doctor second and only found one…Dr. Thomas Purtzer. I have been a patient of his almost 10 years now and with his treatment I have been able to turn my life around; pain no longer controls or inhibits me to do anything. Yes, I am still waiting for total knee replacement in both knees but I work fulltime, play with my kids and walk at least 30 miles a week. Without the guidance of Dr. Purtzer, I would still be in bed, unable to work or feel up to playing with my children at all. Dr. Purtzer is continually researching new ways to help control chronic pain. Yes he will prescribe pain medication however he is always finding alternatives to that solution. He cares for your whole body, mind and spirit. He understands the stereotyping that people like me are constantly battling just because we do take a pain medication. He knows that the daily fight to make it through a single day with pain can be both fulfilling and joyful if managed correctly. Each year I get a little better at reaching those daily “pain free” days, I am able to exercise more, eat healthier and stay calm because of the information Dr. Purtzer has passed along to me. I thank God every day for him.

Overview for Dr. Purtzur's care for me. show details Overview for Dr. Purtzur's care for me.
by Williams on Nov 15th, 2013

I have been a patient of Dr.Purtzur's for over 4 years now. Over this time I have grown in many ways, emotionally and physically. My pain has been under control to where I am able to live a normal life again and I have since opened a successful business in the valley here and I owe a lot of it to the amount of work that the Dr. required me to do. I had to get in touch with who I really was and his Pain Management has been more about whole body health and knowledge of what is happening in your body than "Pushing Pills" and sending you away. He has been a constant help when I have been in need and I will continue to see him for as long as I can. Thank you for reading this and I would recommend Dr. Purtzur to anyone that needs to get their pain under control and want a better life. He has had many years experience and it is great to be able to have a Dr. that is so knowledgeable in many fields.

To Dr. Purtzer and his wife Regina: show details To Dr. Purtzer and his wife Regina:
by Laura and Ron on Nov 3rd, 2013

When wife first came to see you her pain was unbearable. I watched her suffer to the point she wanted to end her life. You gave her medication at a very low dose that made her pain tolerable. As her illness progressed her medications changed. You adjusted her medication as her pain worsened and would readjust them when her pain lessened. Never did I believe you were just pushing pills. My wife and I both owe you gratitude for your healing knowledge. With out you and your wife in our lives I believe that my wife would not be here today. We see you as an angel of mercy. We thank you with all of our hearts for everything you do. I defiantly would see Dr. Purtzer again and have told friends what a wonderful doctor he is and they should see him.

Great Doctor show details Great Doctor
by Crys on Oct 24th, 2013

I have been going to Dr. Purtzer for the last several years for pain management. He is a great doctor and very knowledgable. Dr. Purtzer has not only got me on the right meds, but has taught me the importance of a healthy life style. He has also helped me to quit smoking. Which I cannot thank him enough for. I just wanted to comment after reading a few other reviews on here, Dr. Purtzer is by no means a "pill pusher" Yes you will be thrown out and treated differently if your just looking for you next fix. You do have to go through extensive screening, but I believe that Dr.Purtzer and his staff do this to weed out the bad few that ruin things for the majority. All in all, I just want to say that this is a great small practice to go to if your serious about your pain.

hurting show details hurting
by daniel on Oct 17th, 2013

Dr Purtzer was the worst experience I have ever had. He got upset with me and knocked papers out of my hands and refused to see me and still charged me. The other reviews said he is a pill pusher, well, I would have loved something for my pain I broke my back and neck 4 months before and he wouldn't prescribe me anything! Horrible doctor.

Oct 16th, 2013

The office is pleasant, the staff are helpful. The doctor cares about his patients and listens. The doctor is very through and knowledgeable about pain.

Dr. Purtzer saved my life! show details Dr. Purtzer saved my life!
Oct 15th, 2013

I have suffered from addiction for many years. 10 months ago I went into a tailspin of pain while also being treated for Hepatitis C. I was taking up to 100 30-mg Percocet a day. I had a $3,000-dollar habit and went through $30,000 of my inheritance. I was also taking methadone, morphine, OxyContin, and Valium. When I went to see Dr. Purtzer he put me on Suboxone. I don't remember how long it took me to come out of my psychosis, but once I did Dr. Purtzer gave me a bunch of books to read educating me on my body and addiction. Dr. Purtzer has found the perfect medications for me. I can focus, not slur, I just bought a home, and I feel how I felt when I never took drugs. Dr. Purtzer gave me my life back! I am learning so much from him. He educates his patients and looks for alternate ways of treatment rather than just medications. He has helped make me feel the best I've ever felt! I don't crave drugs and I have become normal again.

not a surgoen show details not a surgoen
Aug 8th, 2013

He is not a surgeon let's get this straight right off the bat - He only prescribes pain medication. Regina is his wife and she is the rudest greediest of greed out there. EVERTHING has a dollar sign attached to it. Pretty soon he will get shut down as he has a bad habit of talking about patients to other patients - not a good thing. I do not wish them any harm however they need to quit while they are ahead and try to get education on another line of work - they have exausted this one. They are hanging on by a thread here. Good luck you two

Crooked dr show details Crooked dr
Aug 1st, 2013

This dr sucks no compassion all about the money. Has the bedside manor of a badger.

Feb 14th, 2013

This doctor cares but his wife is a real nut job. Their billing is as crooked as a Doug's hind keg. They over charge and are pill pushers.

A Godly Man! show details A Godly Man!
Mar 7th, 2012

I have been to so many Dr. and I allowed them to believe its nothing. Dr. Purtzer has been my Dr. for about 9yrs. I love him he listens to me and helps me and continues to. I trust no one! My disease has no cure and as I get older unfortunately my condition will worsen. I will most likely be on meds for the rest of my life but Doc makes it easier for me to deal with I love my check-ups with him he always makes me smile and laughs. I do have a good attitude when I come for my 3 months check-ups whether I may feel bad or in pain but whats the point by coming in upset why waste good energy I don't like to complain Doc P. is a Godly man and I thank Jesus everyday for putting this wonderful, kind, compassionate and caring man into my life. Its hard finding good honest Dr.'s these days and the quality of care. I don't have insurance and I struggle with finances but I save every penny I get so that I can go see him (doc P.) this world is so backwards there is more help for drug and alcoholics. I am a educated women w/8 children and I would do anything to get a job but I am looked at as a risk than an asset! But all that is wrong w/me health wise I could turns circles around some of these so called workers that use the system and take advantage of the system if they only knew how they are getting ripped off! I am honest and a hard worker but it all comes down to GREED!any ways sorry got off the subject. Dr. Purtzer is great and should be on some medical magazine for the great service he has provided.Love ya,Evangeline Lincoln

Sep 20th, 2011

Wish I would have done some research before going to this Dr. Don't know where to turn without being looked at like a neuronic drug nut. My pain is real and severe..MRI shows this. This Dr prescribes very strong meds, and then abruptly pulls them away. Doesn't even give a reason. I always thought physicians were bound to "do no harm", however, he has certainly done harm to me.

Patient show details Patient
Jul 7th, 2011

Regina is very rude she acts like you are the lowest of low. The reason she soesn't answer your questions is becasue she doesn't know the answers. I think the Doctor is just doing what he can do to provide for his family he cannot work at the Hospitals anymore so he just hands out drugs - charges a lot for the visits doesn't do anything for you. It would be much better if Regina was gone.

staff is rude and cares more about money than the patien show details staff is rude and cares more about money than the patien
Mar 29th, 2011

Regina is Drs front office manager and DRS wife. She charges u $50 for each pracription called and and $50 if you dont call w/in 24 hrs. I understand that but I missed it by 3 mins . Regina acts as if you are a number and wont look at you when you talk to her. They sale all this extra stuff to make up for Dr. Purtzer inablilty to practice at any hospital and giving a patient a black box med. ( this means very dangerous high ratings for side effect) I dont know the complete desitions but it was very serious I have a doctor that wont take his patients anymore. A very respected doctor. I have talk to many patients in the waiting room and they all say the same thing Regina is money hungry and rude to patient some that left him and went to a dr. sills. Dr. purtzer's answering maching states that Dr. putzer is a board certified neosurgen. but all info I have looked into has said he was dropped to an MD only. So false hood have been perpertrated. I have several times waitin to see him over an hour. Then I peek around the corner and he has all kinds of exercise equipment or a punting green that is what he was doing while that I was wasting my time. I also was instructed by some other Doctors that they are writing to the Oregon medical board for a total review of all his records. VERY SCARY

Dr. Purtzer is GREAT...!!! show details Dr. Purtzer is GREAT...!!!
Jun 17th, 2009

Dr. Purtzer is a very caring and thorough doctor. He has spent all the time necessary to help me become a functioning, pain-free person... doesn't seem too much to ask, but he goes above and beyond, and takes all the time necessary to help his patients. Being a pain doctor, he probably gets his share of people who only want drugs. Dr. Purtzer can tell the difference in such patients... and that's why the small percent of people don't like him...because they're only drug-seeking and he knows it!

Proper diagnosis and teatment show details Proper diagnosis and teatment
by Will on Apr 29th, 2009

I am so glad to have found Dr. Purtzer. His knowledge of my neurological issues was extensive. He put me in touch with the right surgeon, and physical therapist in the Medford, Oregon area. I came very close to surgery, but thankfully none was needed. The PT, Dr. Miven Donato, was very in tune to my needs and worked with with Dr. Purtzer. Dr. Purtzer understood me and my needs. I would not hesitate to recommend him or Dr. Miven Donato.

DOCTORS SUPPOSED TO DO NO HARM dr' and staff is very rude PIP is ignored records destroyed show details DOCTORS SUPPOSED TO DO NO HARM dr' and staff is very rude PIP is ignored records destroyed
Mar 4th, 2009

This doctor is rude, doesnt listen, very very unethical, discloses info about his paients to unrelated and uninvolved third party and over medicates his patients. The office manager is unethical, extremley rude, this office does not follow the rulesPayment is made at time of visit and they bill the insurance get paid again and the you go in and have to fight to get refunded the money they were double paid for. Watch yourself with tis one documeent everything and bring someone with you to all appointments. Very dissapointed there are unethical doctors like this one out there.