Colorectal Surgeons
Lahey Clinic
41 Mall Rd
Burlington, MA 01803
781-744-8971
Locations and availability (3)

|  Dr. Reed  |  show details
Oct 26th, 2013

I was surfing the internet to find a new surgeon and typed in doctor Reeds name. He operated on me and saved my life 8 years ago while he was still in West Penn Hospital in Pittsburgh, PA. I am going to check to see if my insurance will cover out of state. If they do I will be willing to travel from Pittsburgh to have him operate on me again. Dr. Reed leaving the Pittsburgh are was a huge loss. .

|  Professional Dr. that makes you feel comfortable before and after surgery  |  show details
by Scott S. on May 8th, 2013

My condition snuck up on me and after being told by local doctors that surgery needed to be done ASAP I began to panic a bit. I was fortunate enough to be told about Dr. Read and his team at Lahey and was able to get myself an appointment to see him. After he became familiar with my condition and symptoms he recommended that taking some time to heal before surgery would most likely minimize my recovery time. Prior to meeting with Dr. Read, other Doctors (at a local hospital) told me I was in bad condition and my road to recovery would be a long and painful one. These were general surgeons with no real focus in any one area and you could tell they didn't seem confident in their assessment. I instantly felt better about everything after my first appointment with Dr. Read. He portrays confidence and knowledge that really no other Dr. I saw did. Looking back at it I feel like I was probably a very annoying patient, asking tons of questions and asking some twice because I just didn't believe the answers. He took the time to answer every question and never made me feel like I was being a pain. He personally called me once in between the time of my appointment and when surgery was scheduled to check in and see how I was doing. During that time I had multiple questions about the things I could eat and my antibiotics, each time I called a receptionist took down my concerns and told me a nurse would call back. Sure enough they did and honestly not once did it take more than 5 minutes. They day of surgery really was a stressful one for me and moved very quickly (which looking back was a blessing). I was in the pre-op room and all the nurses coming in and out started stressing me out and just the general thought of surgery was starting to get to me (it was my first time). As soon as Dr. Read came in and started telling me how everything was going to happen I felt better. It sounds strange but he really does have a way of making you feel very confident that you are in the best hands. The surgery took 4 hours and at the two hour mark a nurse in the operating room stepped out to call my mother and girlfriend to let them know that everything was going as planned. The few days after surgery were no fun but I think that is to be expected. Dr. Read came in every morning to see how I was doing and make a plan for me to get home. The nursing staff in the hospital was FANTASTIC the entire time. I was able to recover faster than expected and by the time I went home 3 and 1/2 days later I was feeling much better. Again, he called after a few days, in between trips to conferences, to make sure things were going alright and give me the results of the pathology reports. I chose to write this long and detailed review because I work in an industry where reviews are paramount to my success and important to customers and clients. A great experience should always be shared. I have generally been lucky enough to have very good health in my life I don't know if any of this extraordinary for a Dr. and their team but I know the treatment and confidence I got from Dr. Read and Lahey was head and shoulders above my local hospital and any second opinions i received. If you find yourself with a condition that Dr. Read treats do yourself a favor and try to get an appointment, you wont regret it.

|  a great doctor, skilled and knowledgable and friendly  |  show details
by joetoto@gmail.com on Apr 16th, 2013

Dr Reed, is a top notch surgeon, taking time to make me feel comfortable, giving thorough explanations and answering my questions. He is a pro who i highly recommend!

|  Partial Colectomy d/t frequent bouts of Diverticulitis  |  show details
Mar 4th, 2013

I am fortunate to have been referred to Dr. Read. He is compassionate, easy to talk to, and truly has a way to make his patients feel like they are top priority. My surgery in January to remove a diseased portion of my colon went extremely well. My stay in the hospital was much shorter than I expected, my discomfort during my home recuperation was minimal, and any questions I had post op or during follow up visits were answered thoroughly and in a timely manner. I was back to working my full time job without restrictions in absolutely no time. It is no surprise Dr. Read has great reviews and feedback from his patients, he has certainly earned them. Being treated by a physician who genuinely cares about his patients is refreshing. I highly recommend Dr. Read...he is the BEST!

|  Very Satisfied  |  show details
by Amy S. on Jan 24th, 2013

I had a colonoscopy done by Dr. Read. He and his entire staff were extremely professional. Dr. Read successfully removed a small polyp during my colonoscopy. I returned to normal activities the next day.

Oct 21st, 2012

Dr. Read is extremely knowledgeable in his field of expertise and has the ability to explain the issue to the patient so that it is understandable to someone without a medical background. He makes the time and effort to answer questions before and after surgery.

Jun 4th, 2012

Without hesitation, I highly recommend Dr. Read to anyone needing a polyp removed from their colon. A fairly large polyp was discovered by another doctor during a routine colonoscopy. I selected Dr. Read to surgically remove it and couldn't be happier with my decision. He is very professional, a wonderful surgeon, and cares a lot about his patients as evidenced by his frequent follow up after I was released from Lahey. My pain was minimal, was only in the hospital for three days after surgery, and recovered to pretty much normal activity level in 10 days. The best news--the polyp was not cancer.

Oct 5th, 2011

He was great, personable and really helped me in a really tough time!

|  Brenda  |  show details
Aug 6th, 2011

Dear Read was very caring and spent as much time as I needed with him. After a procedure he made sure I was ok. He called me at home on a Sat. night to check on how I was doing and to give me results of tests. I am extremely pleased with my encounter with such a caring Doctor. I highly recommend him to anyone who needs his services. Excellent Doctor!!!

|  Very unprofessional staff  |  show details
May 27th, 2011

I went to see dr read thinking that he was one of the best surgeons for my situation. I thought this because he works with the best surgeon for pilonidal disease in new England, dr marcello. He didn't spend ALOT of time with me in my consult. Just said you need to have this out with surgery, which I already knew. Surgery was scheduled for 2 weeks to that day. I had the surgery and he said that I should be back to normal activity within 2 days. Yeah right. I'm going on two weeks know with a hole in my lower back that gets packed twice daily and it hurts ALOT! I call them to tell them after 4 days that it's still bothering me, and the nurse basically said, very rudely, well you should be fine I think your making a big deal out of nothing. No joke, you could hide a golf ball in this hole and I can't sit down yet or walk or be on my feet for long periods of time. On the seventh day I called again and said this still hurts. They told me to come in and be seen. Dr read saw me and said we were packing it wrong ( which by the way no one showed us how to do it properly) and he showed us the proper way. When doing it he was extremely rough and I was shaking in pain and felt like I wanted to pass out. I stood up and he came to the front of me and had a smug smirk on his face and asked if I was ok and then laughed. I'm glad he left the room when he did cause I was so mad that he just put me through that and the attitude he had when he put me through it. My opinion of him and his staff is very poor and I do have a follow up appt with him in a week but I will go to another doctor for it and explain to him my experience with his office, especially his nurse Ann Dempsey. Pilonidal surgery is extremely painful and I would highly recommend finding another doctor if you have to go through this. God bless

|  The Best in my opinion  |  show details
Apr 2nd, 2011

I am very satifisied. Dr Read is excellent!

Jan 3rd, 2011

Definitely not the most effusive doctor, but I think people seem too concerned with the flow of warm sentiments from their physicians instead of the quality of care provided. Dr. Read performed a risky surgery that saved a loved one's life against terrible odds. He deserves the highest ranking available; he earned it.

|  terriffic  |  show details
Dec 5th, 2010

saved my life!!the fellow doctors on his staff were awesome too.

|  No bedside manner  |  show details
Oct 30th, 2010

He was arrogant and unfriendly, and just tried to bully me to see things his way. I would never see him again nor recommend him to anyone I cared for.

Jun 10th, 2009

great doctor and easy on the eyes!

|  Dr. Read gave me a future  |  show details
Apr 28th, 2009

Nine years after colon cancer surgery which had a 90% reoccurrence rate. I am still cancer free. I participated in Dr. Read's Pathologist During Surgery research project.