Overall Review

December 9th, 2014
Terrible experience - They are stuck in 1980
Really don’t want to blame the good reviewers below and i don’t usually write review but in this case i was totally disappointed in this person. I had a good Family physician but due to distance i want to change and i got my first appointment with him. 1) The office is neat but record maintenance or other thing, still they are stuck in 1980 2) Front staffs really don’t have much knowledge on the current insurance trends/rude/just trying to please their doctor where he has to move and sit etc. 3) Coming to the doctor. Wow ! i expected a good knowledge and explain things to my problem. All he did is write (record in 1980 style) about my issues on a paper and just said will get an appointment to the specialist, and asked any other issues ? Kidding me? - I can ask my friend to write that notes why a doctor ? 4) He may be good for general fever and cold but sure not more than that. 5) The fun part is his insurance claim, he is 2-3 times more than any best doctor charges (even more than specialist).Spoke to my insurance and even they were surprised on his charges but they said the code he claimed is what make the difference. Wondering taking notes can cost so much ? I am glad i dint transfer my record from my previous physician (he is best doctor and I am glad dint loose him for distance)

October 28th, 2014
Patient
I have been a patient of Dr. Royster since 1992 (with a few years break in between). He was the first doctor who was able to FINALLY get my blood pressure under control right away! He makes you feel at ease and listens carefully to what you have to say. He asks questions and you feel as though you are the only patient he has! His manner is calm and comforting, yet you know he is listening to every word and evaluating what needs to be done. He is a Christian who truly allows God to work through him, and it shows! It's wonderful to see this in a physician...NO God complex! It IS true that it's hard to get someone to answer the phones in the afternoon, but I'm sure it has to do with the fact that they see truly sick (i.e., contagious) patients only in the afternoon. My assumption is they are putting all of their efforts into their care. They DO check messages and have called me back on the same day (usually after they close). I'm sure if I was contagious and feverish and left that message, I would get a call back the same day. Because Dr. Royster is THAT good, he is packed with patients and HAS to have some sort of system to manage everyone, and giving his immediate attention to his sickest patients. Don't go to him if you are searching for pain management, but if you need a great doctor... he's your guy! My family and I praise God for leading us to him!

April 21st, 2014
I truly love this doctor. My husband and I are both seen by him and he is wonderful. I see by reading the reviews he may no longer be taking patients, so I feel very lucky to be one of the few that is seen. The ONLY complaint I have with him would be trying to reach someone at the office. They have super-strict rules about when they take calls, so I have to literally set an alarm on my phone and on my computer to remind me to call. It just seems like a part-time person could answer the phone in the afternoons and at least schedule appointments, but.... If you are available to play their "phone games" then he will be a wonderful doctor for you and your family. If not, then you may want to find someone else.

December 20th, 2013
most caring doc I have ever met
Dr. Royster is without a doubt the most caring physician I have ever come across. His practice is consistently booming with patients and I count it a privilege to be among the clientele ! I have, however, encountered a problem on more than one occasion - The phones. There is absolutely no way to get anyone to answer the phones after lunch. I see that I am not the only one who has encountered this dilemma and here's hoping that Dr. Royster will read these comments! Kudos to a loving Christ-like man , but let's get this worked out!

November 18th, 2013
professional
Dr. Royster is a very compassionate and competent family practice physician. The only complaint I have, however, is the fact that it has been impossible for me to get anyone to answer the phone after lunch. The only reason I am on this website was to see if other patients had this same complaint or if it was just my unfortunate luck...I see others have this same problem as well. They seem to just "turn the phones off" after 1pm. I don't always get sick first thing in the morning. This is my ONLY complaint about this practice.

May 18th, 2013
patient
I have been going to Scott for quite a few years now. I was working for Rite Aid and one of our pharmacists used him for his family and suggested I call him. He is wonderful! Although he is not God, he does try and make your visits feel as though you are the only patient he has at that moment. He does't rush you and listens to what you say. If you are sick and explain your symptoms he will check on whatever it is just to make sure. He will also send you to someone who can help you when needed. Some will say that he dropped them for no reason, but let me say that if someone is going for loracet, loratab or other controlled drugs he is not going to just prescribe them every day. If you are taking your meds the way you should he will continue for as long as you need them. He also listens to what you say and takes into consideration that even though you aren't a doctor YOU know your own body and he will do all he can to make you better. He is NOT a drug pusher so if that's what you're looking for then don't call him. Yes, it takes some time to get an answer, but I have often called and left a message and they call usually within the hour. They do stop taking calls about 3:30 PM, but that is when they start calling in refills they didn't get chance to do earlier. I have had to wait a week sometimes for an appointment, but most times if not the same day, usually the next. If you are honest with him he will do all he can to help you. I just wish he was able to take my daughter as a patient, but at this time he is just too full. I love him to death and unless you abuse his prescriptions or even him by trying to get things you don't need, he will be there. Wait time is usually about 15 mins from the time you arrive til you see him. The staff are wonderful and caring and will do all they can to get you into the office as soon as possible, especially if it is an emergency. Overall he is an excellent doctor and his staff will help in any way they can.

February 21st, 2013
great doc, staff won't answer the phones after lunch
One of the most compassionate doctors you will ever meet, one of the largest practices in Madison County and is highly recommended if you live in the Madison/Harvest/Monrovia areas...the only negative complaint is that his office staff making appointments seeem to NEVER answer the phones on any given day after the lunch hour.

July 25th, 2012
Office staff never answers the phone. You always have to leave a message. If you call in the afternoon, you will not get an answer until the next day. no one ever calls or answers the phone after lunch. Office hours are very short. Hours that calls will be accepted are listed in their afternoon messages.-Write about overall experiences-Write about what you like or dislike about your physician-Write about whether you would recommend-Write as if you are talking to a peer who is asking your opinion

June 12th, 2012
Doctor and friend
I lived in North Alabama for 21 years, and was one of Dr. Royster's first patients when he started his practice in Madison. He is a caring and competent doctor, and I hated moving to Florida and no longer having his direct care. I can still call him if I need anything, and consider him a lifelong friend.

June 6th, 2012
Good Dr. if you don't mind difficulty getting appointment
I have been with Dr Royster around 20 years and have watched his practice grow. It used to be call in the morning and usually, based on the situation, they could get you in that day. Now (2012), when you call it can take a while just to talk to someone, if you are able to. They seem to have decided it is better for you to leave a message and get back with you. Not smart. If you get an appointment with Dr Royster, he is a very "laid back" Dr who puts you at ease real quick when he enters the room. He listens to you! I like Dr Royster and would recommend him highly with one negative: getting a timely appointment. Other than that, A++

April 3rd, 2012
Dr. Royster recently made the timely diagnosis of bi-lateral pulmonary embolisms with only small fragments of information given on my end. I am young (mid 20s) and did not know what signs to look for given something of this magnitude. He's one of the most phenomenal doctor's I've ever had the pleasure to come across.

November 7th, 2011
Great family doctor
Excellent Doctor, knowledgable, efficient , courteous,helpful,caring.Knows what to do and gets it done.