Dr. Thomas Schrattenholzer MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

2.2

June 2nd, 2016
Still reeling from the consequences
First, I should point out that the staff, the rest of the team, the doctors working under Dr Schrattenholzer, they were all polite and informative. They all read my file, they all spoke at length with me, they all proposed various non-chemical therapies and techniques for dealing with chronic pain, and they all noted that I was already using every single one of the tools they had to offer, as I had been doing since long before I started taking pain medications. The only problem I had with any of them was when I asked questions that had an answer they wanted to give me based on their area of expertise, and an answer they were required to give me working under Dr Schrattenholzer. Most of them had the decency to feel bad about the situation when this happened. I'm having a hard time rating the doctor himself... it is difficult to avoid emotional words. I will try to stick to the facts: On my first appointment with Dr Schrattenholzer himself, I was only in the waiting room for a minute before someone led me to an examination room. I waited there for 45 minutes before Dr Schrattenholzer came in. He said "now that you have all of these new tools, you will receive no more pain medications." I asked "what new tools? Look in my file, your team admitted they have nothing new to offer me." He answered that he didn't need to read my file once he knew I was taking pain medication; drugs do more harm than good, period. Then he asked "so, you are unwilling to stop taking opioids today?" Before I had finished answering "not without something else - anything else - to help manage pain and improve my quality of life", he said "then I can't work with you" and walked out of the room. That whole exchange took less than three minutes. I met with every member of his team again, trying to figure out what just happened. There were a lot of awkward silences. So I started looking around for other doctors, and that's when I learned that the doctor who wouldn't read my file had no problem writing in it. He wrote that I was dependent on pain medication and "refused other treatments" when offered, then changed my primary diagnosis: I am no longer being treated for chronic pain following a debilitating injury, I am now just someone who is addicted to pain medication. And that's the first thing any new doctor sees when they read my file. Dr Schrattenholzer's commitment to stamping out opioid dependency is strong, and he doesn't let details like pain or quality of life or the details in a patient's file get in the way. For people whose primary problem really is that they are dependent on drugs, his razor focus will be an asset. I am not one of those people, and there hasn't been a day between my appointment and now that I didn't regret having ever entered Dr Schrattenholzer's office.

May 24th, 2016
Very very disappointed with this doctor pinpointing me as a druggie left me in pain numerous times without medications. Just so disappointed in such a pain management specialist supposed to be help you control your pain can leave you in such misery and not think twice I feel I am a pretty strong individual myself don't get much sleep because of the pain but tolerate a lot but feel sorry for other patients that aren't as strong and don't handle this as well

April 22nd, 2014
Absence of Human Compassion, Abatement of Medical Facts
A personally offensive demeanor and elitist attitude is the first thing noticed by this physician with the few opening words that come out of his mouth. He is absolutely certain that every patient that comes across his office is a drug addict. He did not review any of my medical file - by his own words and admissions- when he stated that a list of my current medications was everything he needed to know about me. He jokes about most of his patients not agreeing with him. He lends this sick sense of humor to the fact that all patients are drug addicts or else they would not be seeing him. I do not agree with him or his style of medicine because it is not based on factual evidence in my medical file. (With the exception of a medication list.) Did I mention that I was not seeing him for pain medication? He assumed I was and was so ill mannered w/me that I pray anyone who ever sees him has the strength to not let his words hurt them. He is very destructive to the core of the human patient.

September 10th, 2013
now you see him ....now you don't
I thought doc was alright. He was responsible for helping me stop narcotics. He is lighthearted, occ seems not listening, rushed. He did, however, have my best interest in front. Facilitated comprehensive care plan that has allowed for non-narcotic pain management. Kind and generous staff. I saw him for a year-and-a half, he disappeared out of my healthcare quick as he came in.

March 22nd, 2013
Judgmental Horrible doctor! Stay away if you want to keep your meds.
I went to 'dr. shratzwhatever his name is and he was so uncompassionate. I have legit diseases that warrant pan meds.I've been on opiates1 15 years! I went to him to create a plan because I needed more or different meds. a new plan.Dr. S and his ASSociate, Dr Gomez were so rude. They treated me like a criminal and a junkie that didnt deserve to be treated and I didnt deserve pain control. Then they put notes in my files and sent them to my primary care doc and other docs and has made it difficult for me to get any meds! He sabotaged me huge! You will regret it if you see this mean man....Go to OAG... Dr. Kallgren Rocks the house! He is smart and he listens!!!!!!!!

December 3rd, 2012
Would Not Give this Doctor a chance
He was right in saying "that most my patients disagree with me"!!

September 18th, 2012
Very Impressed
Maybe because I'd read the prior comments, but I had reservations about seeing Dr. Schrattenholzer. His staff were very courteous, and he very professionally described the procedures we were to have (for my chronic neck pain). Both times he explained what he was going to do, asked for questions, then answered my questions. My Pulse dropped during the 2nd procedure, and he and the attending nurse and x-ray technician were great in taking care of me to get me safely through the procedure and my pulse back to normal. I was very impressed with Dr. Schrattenholzer and staff.

February 8th, 2012
Loves to play mind games!
This doctor leaves you feeling as if you've just been through a court trial for a crime you've been found guilty for. He interrogated me for over 40 minutes in which it was impossible to give him an answer he was satisfied with. He left me feeling degrated and exhausted. He was unbelievably rude and was dispassionate. Total jerk!! Seek help elsewhere! I believe he's on a huge power trip feeling like God leaving his patients in pain.

December 8th, 2011
Starts out with preconceived notions about patients and patients' care, poor communication skills. May be fine in surgery, just not a people person.

November 30th, 2011
A decent MD. He is of the opinion that narcotics only work for a short period of time, because of tolerance. He isn't opposed to using pain medications, but he does spend time getting his patients to understand that, like it or not, these drugs have limited effectiveness unless you are of the unfortunate fate of having a terminal condition.A lot of people don't want to hear that. They want a pain doctor that prescribes lots of pain medicine. If that is warranted this Dr. isn't opposed to it. But again, it's just one weapon against pain and it is limited in how long it will work because of the nature of narcotic tolerance.

July 28th, 2011
arrogant doctor - stay away
This jerk of a doctor had the nerve to charge my medical insurance $157 for an office visit and an additional $138 for the use of a room for what he calls a medical visit. I arrived on time for my appointment, he kept me waiting 40 minutes before I asked someone if he was going to see me, Im a paraplegic that suffers from severe bone and nerve pain, My neurologist then referred me to this supposed pain specialist, Dr. Schrattenholzer, to see if he had any advice. Basically, after sitting in this rented office (for which I had to pay additional for) he basically said this: I dont even know what youre doing here. I cant do anything about this, I dont know anything about paraplegia. I have no idea why your neurologist even referred you to me. What? You think youre going to walk out of here just like that with a prescription from me? I reiterated why my neurologist had referred me to him but he already had one foot out the door. a month and a half later, my insurance bill comes in and I see that he has charged me $157 for the consultation and an additional $138 for use of the room. avoid him like the plague. With that kind of bedroom manner youre better off just sitting around and taking the pain, doing nothing about your health and giving up. turns out hes not rated that high by other people either

August 3rd, 2010
Very Rude unprofessional this person should be in a different field